Texans fire David Culley

MikeT14

10 hours ago, ET80 said:

I agree his legacy won't be tainted - but I will stand on the table against anyone who says he did a decent job.

Not asking for a deep dive--so don't worry about that sort of thing.

Why was Culley so terrible?  And remember--keep it simple. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Why was Culley so terrible?  And remember--keep it simple. 

He made bad decisions pretty much every week - I'm talking elementary sort of mistakes, declining penalties that would have given him first downs, forgetting how many time outs he had a half, forgetting down and distance situations, etc.

He also suspended players who would question him - guys who never had issues were suspended for conduct detrimental to the team. 

I've never seen a guy make so many bad mistakes, and divide a locker room so quickly.

• Like 2

So...

...imagine this guy as the leader of a football team. This man would coach the '72 Dolphins to a 4-10 record, and three of those four wins would be with Garo Yepramian as the opposing QB.

I really need people to understand... David Culley is not a good head coach.

At all.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

DeMeco Ryans makes alot of sense 

I wouldn't hate it - bringing an old legend back home - I just wonder if he's ready for the big job, specifically with this franchise right now.

I really want DeMeco Ryans to be successful - and I don't think the next few years will be successful for Houston.

20 hours ago, ET80 said:

...imagine this guy as the leader of a football team. This man would coach the '72 Dolphins to a 4-10 record, and three of those four wins would be with Garo Yepramian as the opposing QB.

I really need people to understand... David Culley is not a good head coach.

At all.

I'm not sure anyone is really suggesting that he was a good HC by any means.  He was set up to fail to begin with though.

Smart move by Caserio hiring him in the first place. Buys him more time as GM. He knows the Texans are atleast 2 more years out from fielding any sort of decent team, can't roll with a guy through 3 straight awful seasons without the fans calling for his head and potentially losing his GM job too. I wouldn't be suprised if they have another one and done coach next year.