2022 Raider Depth Chart

Humble_Beast

11 minutes ago, BakeSpeaks said:

These are players who save the most salary if cut, that I also think have the least impact on us going forward.

I personally would prefer a restructure of Yannick over him getting cut- but 11 mil is 11 mil

We finally had a formidable pass rush from the edge for the first time since Mack and Irvin so I’m not in favor of cutting Ngakoue. 

4 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

We finally had a formidable pass rush from the edge for the first time since Mack and Irvin so I’m not in favor of cutting Ngakoue. 

Ngakoue was a disappointment for most of the season. I don't know if he was hurt or just out shape, but he was completely erased from the edge on more plays than not. Every so often, he would get the edge on tackle for a sack, but he was very bad between sacks.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Nassib, Littleton and Kwit are all but gone on a post June 1st release. I think you can add D.Good to that list as well. Dead weight guys

Abram is a tricky player I don’t see him having a role on defense especially if they do hire Sean Desai. I would release and move on. Ferrell is another one as well. Probably better off just cutting ties then having him hang around for a year.

Think we will see some restructures with Yannick and Miller to open up more cap space maybe even with Drake as well. 

Okay I will go over this 1 more time.  For the purpose of cap space for FA we only get 2 June 1st cuts before the June 1st date.  Some base salaries become fully garuanteed shortly after the new league starts so that could impact who we cut early.  There are going to be more cuts but I am going to focus on 3 right here.  Kwiat, Nassib, and Littleton.  Each provide minimal cap relief if cut this year but at least 2 can provide a greater benefit for the start of free agency.  Littleton would provide $8.75 million as a June first cut and Nassib $6.3 million.  Kwiat can be cut before and give us $3.25 or after and give us $5.75.  Similar numbers with other players if we choose to go that route but the focus is on these 3 because of how their contracts are structured.  Each was renegotiated and pushed bonuses into years 2022, 2023, 2024, and 2025.  The dead cap is primarily those bonuses.  If they are kept on the team next year they will get their salaries plus the bonuses counting against the salary cap through 2025.  If we cut them only the salary cap is affected and we do not have to pay out any actual cash.  if the stay they will cost more.

Littleton will cost $11.75 million cash if he is on the team this year.  Total cap hit through 2025 would be $25.75.  $15.75 in 2021

If cut cap hit is $14 and $7 if a June 1st cut with the remainder in 2023.

Nassib will cost $8 million cash if he is on the team this year.  Total cap hit through 2025 would be $14.6.  $9.65 in 2021

If cut cap hit is $6.6 and $3.3 if a June 1st cut with the remainder in 2023.

Kwiat will cost $7 million cash if he is on the team this year.  Total cap hit through 2025 would be $12.  $8.25 in 2021

If cut cap hit is $5 and $2.5 if a June 1st cut with the remainder in 2023.

So whether to cut or not comes down to how badly do you need money this year and can you sign:

Littleton's replacement for un $11.75 million this year,

Nassib's replacement for under $8 million this year,

Kwiat's replacement for under $7 million this year.

I believe the answer to all 3 is yes and would give us $20.85 million extra cap this year but reduce next years by $5.9 million with the excess carryover.  We would also save $11.8 million in cap space in 2024 and 2025 combined.

@agarcia34 This was not directed at you. I just choose to quote you.  What I do not agree with you about is Good.  If he comes back healthy he is a steal at his current price.  To get rid of him would just cause an a hole that would most likely cost more to fill if we want the same level of play.  Good's problem is he got hurt last year.  He is only 30 and if he would have not been hurt I believe he would have been one of the players we would be talking about giving an extension to.  Guy plays both guard spots at a really high level and is a starting caliber RT.  Although RT is not his ideal position.  The guy if healthy is way more valuable than $4.2 million.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2022 at 7:20 PM, Humble_Beast said:
QB Carr      
RB Jacobs Drake Bolden Ragas
FB Johnson      
WR Edwards J Wims    
WR Hollins Stoner    
Slot Renfrow Turner    
TE Waller Moreau Bowers  
LT Miller      
LG Leatherwood Simpson Cotton  
C James Grasu B Heggie  
RG Good Simmons Seymour Meredith
RT W Sweet      
DE Crosby Ferrell Green  
UT Vickers PJ Johnson    
NT Nichols Billings    
DE C Jones Koonce    
WLB Deablo      
MLB Perryman      
SLB March-Lillard      
CB Rock Averett  LeBlanc  
CB Mullen Phillips    
Slot Hobbs Robertson    
FS Moehrig Leavitt J Brown  
SS Abram Gillespie Jamerson  
K Carlson      
P Cole      
LS Sieg  

updated 3-16

• Somehow upgraded from Yannick with Chandler Jones
  • Revamped CB room 
  • Solid starting DT added 
  • RB/FB depth 

very nice first day of free agency. Still hoping for AROB

I think our defense is going to be more like this.

RDE Ferrell

NT Billings

LDE Nichols

SLB Crosby

ILB Perryman

ILB Diablo

WLB Jones

CB Ya Sin

CB Mullens

Slot Hobbs

FS Moehrig 

SS Abram

Note: I see Abrams getting traded unless moved to LB just not a fit as safety.

On 2/3/2022 at 5:14 PM, jpaulthe1st said:

Is this list just to outline our options or your recommended cuts? 

I’m not in favor of cutting Ferrell because I can see him carving out a role as a base DE with Yannick coming in on passing downs to pressure the QB. 

This was my list of players we could move on from and not lose a ton of production.

Just waiting on Clellin to be moved (Which I don't think he will/should be at this point.)

On 3/17/2022 at 4:17 AM, raidr4life said:

I think our defense is going to be more like this.

RDE Ferrell

NT Billings

LDE Nichols

SLB Crosby

ILB Perryman

ILB Diablo

WLB Jones

CB Ya Sin

CB Mullens

Slot Hobbs

FS Moehrig 

SS Abram

Note: I see Abrams getting traded unless moved to LB just not a fit as safety.

Do we think Ferrell is a good fit for Graham's 3-4 ? Ferrell isn’t big enough at 265lbs to play 3-4 end is he? I thought Graham likes big bodies on the d-line ?

2 hours ago, Dessie said:

Do we think Ferrell is a good fit for Graham's 3-4 ? Ferrell isn’t big enough at 265lbs to play 3-4 end is he? I thought Graham likes big bodies on the d-line ?

I think Ferrell is not an ideal fit for this D as a RDE, but he could play there and might surprise us...

Ferrell has the height and length IMO for the role. He is 6'4 34 and 1/4 arms with 10 and 1/2 hands. 

Bilal Nichols for example is 6'4 with 33 and 1/2 arms and 10 and 1/4 hands.

Maxx Crosby is a bit taller at 6'5 but has shorter arms and smaller hands. We talk about The Condor here!

Christian Wilkins who plays RDE for Miami in base D is 6'4 with only 32 and 1/2 arms and 9 and 3/4 hands.

Leonard Williams who played this RDE role for PG with the Giants is 6'5 with 34 and 3/4 arms with 10 and 3/4 hands, so he is definately bigger and longer, but as you can see Ferrell is longer a bit like Nichols or Wilkins for example.

Obviously length is not the only criteria for the role, but if you count in that Ferrell was regarded a really strong DE coming out from Clemson at 265 and his biggest strenght was run D early on he just might be able to play the position for us if he can get up around 280-290 pounds. He was reportedly up to 275 in his second year with us, so I think it is possible for him to get above 280-290 with a full offseason of strength program and proper diet.

At 6'4 290 with his long arms, he might be able to play that RDE role for us in base and some DT in nickel, what he already done before. 

As of now, he wouldn't be viewed as a quality starter by the media or by us fans, but with this new staff and with this new scheme he might surprise us.

With the players we currently have under contract I would expect Nichols to be the LDT, Billings to be the NT and Ferrell to be the RDE. With that said I think Nichols best position with us would be RDE and I would welcome Hankins back to LDT before I would put Ferrell in at RDE.

I think a Nichols-Billings-Hankins trio would be better then the Ferrell-Billings-Nichols. Then again we can't be too sure about Billings as a starter neither, so I would be really cautious with any projection at this point in time. Hopefully we bring in a few veterans to the DL in the upcoming days... 

• Like 1

I did some research on Leatherwood, on Pats RT's and come away with a hot take :)

Alex Leatherwood will be the RT of this team come September.

I know that putting Leatherwood at RT will make some noise :), but hear me out first!

Leatherwood struggled as a rookie at RT mightily, then he struggled as a RG. As the season went on he started to find his legs at RG. He could have done the same if they would have left him outside IMO, but this is not the important stuff here...

Neither JMD or Ziegler said that he will return as a guard, both of them said basically that they will work on fundamentals and let him get better and find out his spot later on. Ziegler added that "We're going to let him create an opportunity for himself. We'll be excited to be able to work with him." 

Add to that what I found on twitter: Brandon Thorn commented on twitter an Insta picture/story of Duke Manyweather's about Leatherwood train next to Wills. Manyweather commented on Thorn's comment and said "The Bama connection is strong in the gym! 4 Bama OT’s working and competing side-by-side". He wrote 4 OT's working, not that 4 OL or 4 former Bama OT...I know I stretch it here a bit, but since Duke is his trainer it is possible IMO that he prepares Alex with the rest of these OTs to be an OT come OTAs, because the new Raiders staff asked them to prepare so. 

It makes sense IMO, that the new staff tries to give a chance for Alex to be our RT. Who knows, maybe the Pats also viewed him as a RT, not a G. The Pats typically likes their RTs big and long. Cannon is 6'5 335 with 34 arms. The latest Pats OT draftee was Yodny Cajuste, who is 6'5 312 with 34 arm. Leatherwood is 6'5 312 with 33 7/8 arms. I know these are just numbers and there is a lot more to play OT in the NFL, but based on these numbers Leatherwood seems to be in the Patriots OT threshold.

Overall with everything I wrote here I expect Alex to get a chance to be our RT early in the OTA's, this could also explain why we haven't signed any OT's so far. 

They might feel pretty good about Alex at RT, James at OC, Good at RG and even Simpson at LG. We saw that they are pretty aggressive with the areas they think are big needs. They went after Jones, got Adams, got a few CB's, get Bilal, but there was no starting caliber OL arrival. Obviously there are still lots of veteran OLs out there and I expect us to get some, but it seems to me that they are not rushing too much with this position and that could mean they think that their scheme, their OL coaching will lift up the guys already in house...

Miller is a former 1st rounder. Considered a reach at that time, but was a early round prospect.
Leatherwood is a former 1st rounder, who also was considered as a reach, but he was still an early round prospect.
Simpson was a mid rounder OG, who was considered as a solid pick.
Good played well before in this league.
Andre James is the odd one out here being UDFA and playing mostly poorly in his lone NFL season, but even him showed some developement.

Also consider that we had one of (if not the) worst OL coach in the NFL dealing with these young guys. 
Carmen Bricillo is not a household name, but he held on to his job well after Dante Scarnecchia retired. When Dante retired after the 2013 season and Dave DeGuglielmo took over the Pats OL dropped in rankings from 14th to 23rd. In 2015 they were 25th.

In 2016 they became 10th again when Dante came out of retirement. He retired again after the 2019 season and Carmen Bricillo became the OL coach.
After the 2020 season the Pats OL was ranked 4th and after the 2021 season they were ranked 9th. I know some of you hate PFF rankings and gradings, but at least this can give us some perspective IMO.

I think we can assume that Bricillo is a competent coach and I think we can expect our OL guys to get better and overall our OL to get better under his guideance.

So while most of us waits for multiple OL signings and we expect to find new starters among them, we might underestimate the new coaching staff here and their belief in themselves.

We might already see our starting lineup ahead of ourselves and we might be surprised by their play in a positive way.

Miller-Simpson-James-Good-Leatherwood with Bars and some additional guys like Elumeunor as depth.

• Like 2