GB free agency 2022

squire12

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I also don't love paying Preston Smith that deal at age 30.  He's never been a high impact rusher, and while I'd never call him a bad starter or a guy you're looking to replace, he's a safe play in what amounts to an all-in year, and in the long term is a guy who won't last more than 2-3 years on his current 5 year deal.

At the end of the day, you can get out of the Preston Smith deal pretty easily with cap savings of $3.3M after 2022, $7.5M after 2023, $11M after 2024, and $14.1M after 2025.  As long as he continues to be productive, he'll see the end of the deal.  My guess is you'll see him for 2-3 years before they go with someone else opposite of Rashan Gary.

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

Back didn't look blown out in the playoff game.

Seeing Z walk on that contract hurts espicially if his back stays healthy.

You never recover 100% from back surgery.  I have tried to explain this repeatedly.  This is the one injury you don't want if you are a football player.  Unless you have had the surgery you wouldn't know I guess.  He'll been in and out of the line up dealing with it.  We'll see I guess there are exceptions to every rule but not something I'd bet on. 

His back won't stay healthy not playing football.  It will flare up, spasm , and be painful.  They will have to manage it through massage therapy and pain injections.  Feel free to revisit this after next season and we'll see how he held up.  Gute for sure made the right decision signing Preston and letting Z go.   That's my opinion and from a guy who had the surgery.  

Mixed on Z glad he got some cash but after that injury he really shouldn't be playing football.  Got to take into consideration long term health and he's putting that in jeopardy.  Whatever that's my opinion and why his contract figures are so low.  He's a health risk.

18 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

At the end of the day, you can get out of the Preston Smith deal pretty easily with cap savings of $3.3M after 2022, $7.5M after 2023, $11M after 2024, and $14.1M after 2025.  As long as he continues to be productive, he'll see the end of the deal.  My guess is you'll see him for 2-3 years before they go with someone else opposite of Rashan Gary.

yes, that's what I said.

8 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

That's my opinion and from a guy who had the surgery.  

sorry this happened to you.

because this happened to you, I will never take advice/opinions seriously from people on any topic who have a single personal experience which probably defined their entire opinion.

The conversation is about the Z contract at hand.  Shall I tag you all in a post on the ravens forum saying you think that was a bad signing for them?  And if it isn't a bad deal/bad contract for them why would it be a bad one for us?

11 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

because this happened to you, I will never take advice/opinions seriously from people on any topic who have a single personal experience which probably defined their entire opinion.

The conversation is about the Z contract at hand.  Shall I tag you all in a post on the ravens forum saying you think that was a bad signing for them?  And if it isn't a bad deal/bad contract for them why would it be a bad one for us?

The Ravens have a young QB and a different cap situation. We need an EDGE who we feel will be out there every week. 

Z re-injures himself and the Ravens have Tyus Bowser, Jason Oweh and Jaylon Ferguson. Three top 3 rd picks. We have a 7th rounder and a UDFA.

15 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

You never recover 100% from back surgery.  I have tried to explain this repeatedly.  This is the one injury you don't want if you are a football player.  Unless you have had the surgery you wouldn't know I guess.  He'll been in and out of the line up dealing with it.  We'll see I guess there are exceptions to every rule but not something I'd bet on. 

Hope it works for Z, but I agree, it's too risky when dealing with back surgery.  When you figure in the Packers cap situation it makes it a easy call.  

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

Back didn't look blown out in the playoff game.

Seeing Z walk on that contract hurts espicially if his back stays healthy.

Yah, it hurts, but not like jumping on a bicycle missing it's seat, but it hurts none-the-less.

It wasn't like Z played for us during the season.  Gary took a huge leap forward and Preston was nothing if not solid.

Would have been nice to keep them both with Gary, but we all knew one of them had to go.  Might as well be the guy that couldn't play last year.

Seems like I'm bagging on Z.  I am not.  He was great here when he played.  Big time difference maker.  I wish him well, and I have no doubt he will bring a couple good years to Baltimore on that deal.

24 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Tyus Bowser, Jason Oweh and Jaylon Ferguson.

I guess, but those guys also kind of suck.  Oweh had a decent rookie year maybe he is something.

I disagree that we need an EDGE who will be out there every week.  We need any player who can rush the passer and create mismatches against the OL alongside clark and Gary.

Come playoff time, Z is the only one who would really make a difference on this team.

Z is that player and can still be that player.  Even if it's on 30 snaps/game.  Preston is a guy who played 68% of the snaps after playing 80% his first two years.  He is also in decline as far as usage, and that's in a year where his potential replacement - Z, missed the entire season.

59 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I think this is right.  Better to take one's own opinion/advice on a topic they've never personally experienced.  

• Like 1

I’m guessing Z goes to Dallas…. After Denver snaked their Edge. 

If I was Z, I would try to get a better deal… when he was healthy he was arguably the best pass rusher in the league. Given what von and other got he should get more. But again this has everything to do with his back.