Round 1 Pick 28; Devonte Wyatt, DL Georgia

Packerraymond

I always try to remember this at draft time.

Top rated WR's pre-draft

1. Santonio Holmes, Ohio State
2. Chad Jackson, Florida
3. Martin Nance, Miami(OH)
4. Sinorice Moss, Miami(FL)
5. Greg Lee, Pittsburgh
6. Derek Hagan, Arizona State
7. Jason Avant, Michigan
8. Demetrius Williams, Oregon
9. Maurice Stovall, Notre Dame
10. Mike Hass, Oregon State

After the dust settled, these are the guys from that draft who were productive:

Marques Colston
Brandon Marshall
Greg Jennings
Devin Hester
Santonio Holmes
Demetrius Williams
Sinorice Moss.

49 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

A lot of first round WRs are bad!  Like back up 3 years so we have perspective and the first round WRs were Marquise Brown and N'Keal Harry.   2018 we have DJ Moore and Calvin Ridley.  2017 we have Corey Davis, John Ross, and Mike Williams.  2016 we have Corey Coleman, Will Fuller, Josh Doctson, and Laquon Treadwell.

It doesn't matter what positions you pick so much as if you pick the right guys.  Don't pick a guy just because he plays a position.

Hey will Fuller could still be a packer in 2022

22 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Not sure about the walker pick but Wyatt is a stud. Wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a premium IDL in the next couple of years. My guy from this year's draft.

Gotta admit I ignored him since I figured we wouldn't use a first on a 24 year old.  But DL was a top 4 need in my book, and I think getting someone like him up front takes us to another level.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Gotta admit I ignored him since I figured we wouldn't use a first on a 24 year old.  But DL was a top 4 need in my book, and I think getting someone like him up front takes us to another level.

Won't need to worry about him making a year 1 impact.

• Like 1

I'm not keen on drafting a 24 year old but covid screwed up the timelines for alot of players so we need to show flexiibility and understanding in this case. A 1st round 24 years old is not the death knell as it used to be because of the 5th yr option, you can control a guy all they way up to their age 29 season milking their best years on a very affordable contract.

Plus if you're 24 you better be the one of the best players in your position and show elite athletic traits so that you can hit the ground running in the NFL. If you don't have either then the learning curve will be longer and the guy will be 26/27 by the time he finally reaches a high playing level and his team may only benefit from this high level play for a few short years.

In fact in a funny way it's much better to draft an elite 24 year old in the first with that 5 year contract option than it is to draft a rawer 24 years old later on in the draft. The learning curve is longer and his contract will be shorter and the team may not see any of the benefits of developing him, if at all. So what's the point.

Following that logic I don't think the Packers will draft a player as old as Wyatt again in the draft.

Edited by Chili

41 minutes ago, Chili said:

I'm not keen on drafting a 24 year old but covid screwed up the timelines for alot of players so we need to show flexiibility and understanding in this case. A 1st round 24 years old is not the death knell as it used to be because of the 5th yr option, you can control a guy all they way up to their age 29 season milking their best years on a very affordable contract.

Plus if you're 24 you better be the one of the best players in your position and show elite athletic traits so that you can hit the ground running in the NFL. If you don't have either then the learning curve will be longer and the guy will be 26/27 by the time he finally reaches a high playing level and his team may only benefit from this high level play for a few short years.

In fact in a funny way it's much better to draft an elite 24 year old in the first with that 5 year contract option than it is to draft a rawer 24 years old later on in the draft. The learning curve is longer and his contract will be shorter and the team may not see any of the benefits of developing him, if at all. So what's the point.

Following that logic I don't think the Packers will draft a player as old as Wyatt again in the draft.

Look at it this way:  We have him until he is 29.  A 4 year second contract has him through his 33 year old season.  That is 9 seasons.  It is not at all out of the question for an IDL to play well into his mid 30s.  You get 8-9 seasons out of him, then you let him go.  That is plenty fine for any pick.  Current Packer draftees with 10 years of experience:  Aaron Rodgers, Mason Crosby, Randall Cobb, and David Bakhtiari.  One is a kicker, one has left and come back, and the other two are big stars.  Kenny Clark is due to join that group in three years.  Dean Lowry has the same number of seasons, will likely not see his third contract in GB.  We don't pay the big 3rd contract to anyone but the best of the best, and we even let Davante Adams get away.  So if you get 8 or 9 years out of him, that is likely what a hit was going to look like anyway.  The only thing it is doing is changing the likelihood of getting a really good comp pick when he leaves. 

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Like I have said multiple times, the Packers could pick Jesus Christ, and if he wasn't listed as WR, pundits would claim that the Packers screwed up the draft.

That would be true though. No need to draft delusional liars. Especially not with a 1st rd pick

Hard to argue about investing in the DL with a guy who can play the run and offer some rush.  

Thing I like best about him?  He looks to have a little edge to him.  Like he will play dirty.  We need that.  And he's won.

I dig it.  Didn't think we would take a 24 year old in the first round, but I'm actually happy about this pick.

Now we need to nail this draft down and choose our WR, hopefully via a trade up in the second.  Lots of good WR's still out there that can come in and play.  Many of them will play at the level of the first round guys.

I came away thinking the WR's were overdrafted for who they were.  Rounds 2 and 3 seems to be where value meets need.

They wanted a penetrating 3T they got him.  Watching a bit of film damn dude is quick as hell.  Been wanting to upgrade the DL for years so no arguments from me.  We got a good one a really good one.  Totally cool with this pick.  Walker was a head scratcher but we needed to upgrade ILB as well.  Was thinking they would go with someone like Cine in that hybrid role but this dude can do it from the ILB position.  Makes sense after I was listening to Gutenheimer.  Leave him on the field and he can cover.  This D is going to be downright nasty.  Just need an Edge and some depth at S and the D will be complete.