Jets 2022 General Talk

Bobby816

Our offense doesn’t run like a Shanahan system. So I’m starting to really dislike the idea that certain players fit our system. We rotary much don’t have a system. It’s drop back and just kind of let’s see what the QB can do. Do some pointless runs here and there and that’s it. To me that’s not a system.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

A good synopsis of why I feel good about this team moving forward. It's a legitimate playoff roster with just about any other starting QB in the league. 

So now Jones is a good QB? I really really cannot stand the rush to throw the bust label around by this fan base.

I mean, isn't Daniel Jones an example of why you should have patience with a young QB? The guy was hot garbage for years, then has one decent season with a good coach and now we've got fans suggesting we sign him to be our QB because we're are continually unwilling to commit the same level of development to any of the qbs we've drafted post Chad Pennington...

Instant magic at the QB position is just so rare. Pairing a rookie QB with a rookie HC is almost never a good plan, and to add a rookie OC into that gameplan was the absolute dumbest thing the Jets could have done to the development of ZW. 

The truly sad thing is that this squad, as Is, probably makes the playoffs with Darnold under center, but everyone was so unhappy that he wasn't instantly good despite playing with no wide receivers and no offensive line and a awful HC.

But yeah, let's just continue the cycle of drafting a QB high, rushing them to play early, then cutting them as soon as possible because maybe the next guy will be magic. It's definitely the proven model for success for us during the past 20 years.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

The system and the QB have to be aligned. I’m not sold on Jimmy G for a couple reasons but mainly because even though he’s run Kyle Shanahan’s system to perfection Kyle still is trying replace him. Carr is a west coast guy, huge family person idk if he comes to the East Coast honestly and even then why would he choose us? Saleh being stuck on the Shanahan scheme hurts us a ton in terms of finding a new OC, couple that with there not being many options available beyond the obvious. We’re kinda stuck in purgatory right now unless we make a drastic change schematically or mortgage everything to get a guy in here who we think might possibly be the guy. 

New system may mean new coaching staff, learning process and draft/FA.    Switching from Gase to MLF pushed Jets backwards.  Oh man, none can help Jets leapfrog 3rd year developmental stage.

I still don't know if Saleh is married to that system because he got himself recognized in NFL before joining the system. He brought in his best friend's brother because of familiarity.  If Saleh can't do anything outside the familiarity then fire him. 

59 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Our offense doesn’t run like a Shanahan system. So I’m starting to really dislike the idea that certain players fit our system. We rotary much don’t have a system. It’s drop back and just kind of let’s see what the QB can do. Do some pointless runs here and there and that’s it. To me that’s not a system.

It took Kyle 3 years to complete the installed system.

Arthur Smith is struggling with Falcons (2 years).

Matt LaFleur has ridden on veteran team but did good job to utilize Nathaniel Hackett for run game which yielded immediate result.

Mike rode Broncos' veterans to Super Bowl twice but struggled with Rskins (3 years)

Saleh made a great leap in year 2 but offense stalled and broke down due to a lack of continuity.

17 minutes ago, drew39k said:

So now Jones is a good QB? I really really cannot stand the rush to throw the bust label around by this fan base.

I mean, isn't Daniel Jones an example of why you should have patience with a young QB? The guy was hot garbage for years, then has one decent season with a good coach and now we've got fans suggesting we sign him to be our QB because we're are continually unwilling to commit the same level of development to any of the qbs we've drafted post Chad Pennington...

Instant magic at the QB position is just so rare. Pairing a rookie QB with a rookie HC is almost never a good plan, and to add a rookie OC into that gameplan was the absolute dumbest thing the Jets could have done to the development of ZW. 

The truly sad thing is that this squad, as Is, probably makes the playoffs with Darnold under center, but everyone was so unhappy that he wasn't instantly good despite playing with no wide receivers and no offensive line and a awful HC.

But yeah, let's just continue the cycle of drafting a QB high, rushing them to play early, then cutting them as soon as possible because maybe the next guy will be magic. It's definitely the proven model for success for us during the past 20 years.

lol we still talk about Darnold.  Did we forget about Geno Smith as well? lol

Anyway, I agree that Jets should start a veteran (didn't matter who) when Saleh was HC for first time. 

I think I saw best option for the offense.

OC Brian Johnson

QB Gardener Minshew

Both are with Eagles right now.  Johnson shall change the offensive system and Minshew knows that system. Wilson stays with the team to reset his learning process for 2 or 3 years.  Using most athletic OL to handle OTs and powerful OL to handle inside for a change.   ZBS is hard and requires some seasonings to work out.

1 minute ago, drew39k said:

Jones isn't good, but he's at least serviceable. It just goes to show how much this team has been held back by one position, which is to say, things really aren't all that bleak.

Daniel Jones is an example of why the Giants aren't associated with the same chaotic narrative we are, despite nearly identical success over the last decade and despite the same NY media. Good organizations recognize the value in stability and a steadfast approach. 

Week-to-week Jets fans and the media are either prepping for doomsday or the Super Bowl. Everything has to be polarized, and unfortunately, our owner has always been just as fickle minded. 

If the difference between the "same old Jets" and a promising young playoff team can boil down to the difference between Zach Wilson and a bad but serviceable QB.. we're a lot closer to the latter than the former.

How we ended this season is inexcusable.. People should be held responsible and maybe that means Lafleur or maybe it means revamping the staff around him. Thinking it means we need to do something drastic is exactly why we have the longest playoff drought in football.

10 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Jones isn't good, but he's at least serviceable. It just goes to show how much this team has been held back by one position, which is to say, things really aren't all that bleak.

Daniel Jones is an example of why the Giants aren't associated with the same chaotic narrative we are, despite nearly identical success over the last decade and despite the same NY media. Good organizations recognize the value in stability and a steadfast approach.

The just fired their GM and HC last year man after complaining for years about Judge, Gettleman, and Jones.

The difference is that this year they won despite the roster, making Daboll an instant fan favorite and making DJ look like a hero despite his mediocre stats. NYJ media was the same way when we were 6-2, but the whole QB clown show really turned the tide. Any team that loses their last 5 games to fall out of the playoffs is going to get grilled.

7 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

The just fired their GM and HC last year man after complaining for years about Judge, Gettleman, and Jones.

The difference is that this year they won despite the roster, making Daboll an instant fan favorite and making DJ look like a hero despite his mediocre stats. NYJ media was the same way when we were 6-2, but the whole QB clown show really turned the tide. Any team that loses their last 5 games to fall out of the playoffs is going to get grilled.

He had 15 TD 5 INTs, 67% completions, and 700+ yards rushing 7 TD rushing. 

Daniel Jones played solid for them, despite being on a team with little talent.  He didn't have Garrett WIlson and Elijah Moore to throw to.

Just now, NYJets4716 said:

He had 15 TD 5 INTs, 67% completions, and 700+ yards rushing 7 TD rushing. 

Daniel Jones played solid for them, despite being on a team with little talent.  He didn't have Garrett WIlson and Elijah Moore to throw to.

And 200 yards per game. That's mediocre in my book. And that's not saying he's bad, I'd agree he's totally solid (I've supported DJ in other threads this season), but it's not very WOWing. If not for the W-L column, I think the Giants media would have been singing a different tune.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

New system may mean new coaching staff, learning process and draft/FA.    Switching from Gase to MLF pushed Jets backwards.  Oh man, none can help Jets leapfrog 3rd year developmental stage.

I still don't know if Saleh is married to that system because he got himself recognized in NFL before joining the system. He brought in his best friend's brother because of familiarity.  If Saleh can't do anything outside the familiarity then fire him. 

Saleh believes heavily in the Shanahan system, I don’t see us running anything differently in terms of the run game. The issue is the passing concepts. You can marry the Shanahan wide zone running game with passing philosophy that plays to the strengths of the guys at QB and Receiver. 

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

I think I saw best option for the offense.

OC Brian Johnson

QB Gardener Minshew

Both are with Eagles right now.  Johnson shall change the offensive system and Minshew knows that system. Wilson stays with the team to reset his learning process for 2 or 3 years.  Using most athletic OL to handle OTs and powerful OL to handle inside for a change.   ZBS is hard and requires some seasonings to work out.

We have 2 Garner Minshew on the team now, Why add another? Garnder is not that good guy. There are reasons these guys are backups. This teams is set up for a Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers to come in and take them deep into the playoffs. Garnder puts this team outside looking in on playoffs. If you can't get Rodgers or Brady then Carr would be next and I'm not a fan of his either. 

This team has made HUGE mistakes in the last 4 years. First off T Law should be here not Wilson. The jets should have tanked for him. The other major one was you keep Sam and work with him another year instead of grabbing the garbage Wilson. Now you have no choice but to work with Wilson if you can't hit Rodgers, or Brady. I just hope a very good QB drops to middle of first round for the Jets to grab him. Kenny Pickett fell to Pitt and I liked him more than these QB's coming out this year. 

• Like 1

We need a legit starter. Not a bandaid QB. We’ve never fixed this team with an answer at QB. We’ve done bandaids like Favre, Fitz and suck when the young guys bomb. If the plan is to go get Minshew and that’s our QB… no thank you. I’d rather suck with Wilson next year and go back to the drawing board in 2024. There’s always the odd chance something clicks with him in the off-season as well. Doubtful but it can. But my point is merely. Do something big or don’t go mediocre.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We need a legit starter. Not a bandaid QB. We’ve never fixed this team with an answer at QB. We’ve done bandaids like Favre, Fitz and suck when the young guys bomb. If the plan is to go get Minshew and that’s our QB… no thank you. I’d rather suck with Wilson next year and go back to the drawing board in 2024. There’s always the odd chance something clicks with him in the off-season as well. Doubtful but it can. But my point is merely. Do something big or don’t go mediocre.

Yeah we’re in purgatory. Paying Carr or Jimmy G $30M+ ain’t it, handing Zach the job ain’t it. Gotta get a vet, make them two compete, get a new OC/QBC. Get the OL healthy, figure it out after that. The biggest misconception with this team is people thinking we’re a QB away. 

• Like 2