2023 Draft Talk

swede700

Just now, CriminalMind said:

Money isnt an “issue” right now. However, it very well could be once again if the brass decided/needed to give Cousins another 3 year contract next offseason. I don’t think they back themselves into those negotiations next offseason and they address the position now (this draft) for the future. 

Kirk isn't likely ever getting another 3-yr deal, unless you're including void years as part of that. 

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Kirk isn't likely ever getting another 3-yr deal, unless you're including void years as part of that. 

I disagree, he could easily get a 3 year deal with ~1.5 seasons fully guaranteed (money worth), 2 yrs practically guaranteed (money worth), and a big number AAV, and optional void years afterwards. 

especially if it’s his “Best season” due to continuity. 

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I disagree, he could easily get a 3 year deal with 1.5 seasons guaranteed, big number AAV, and optional void years afterwards

Not when he's not a HoF level QB.  Even Derek Carr only got 4 yrs and he's almost 4 years younger.  Tom Brady got his last 3 yr deal at age 37, Drew Brees and Ben Roethlisberger at age 33. A-Rodg got his 3+ deal last year at age 38.  He's not in their class.  He'd be lucky to ever get offered more than 1-2 yrs from here on out.

No team, Vikings included, is going to hitch themselves to his wagon for longer than 2 yrs.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I disagree, he could easily get a 3 year deal with ~1.5 seasons fully guaranteed (money worth), 2 yrs practically guaranteed (money worth), and a big number AAV, and optional void years afterwards. 

especially if it’s his “Best season” due to continuity. 

That deal isn’t crippling the Vikings cap as you suggested.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Let’s also potentially add extension to JJ at maybe $27-32M AAV

Still not an issue like you’re suggesting. The need to get a QB this year is not as dire as you’re making it.

• Like 1

How do next year's QB class look compared to this years (i know it's early). Would we be better off waiting until next year to move up? There would probably be more pressure next year to start year one if we wait....I would presume.

18 minutes ago, Hagar said:

How do next year's QB class look compared to this years (i know it's early). Would we be better off waiting until next year to move up? There would probably be more pressure next year to start year one if we wait....I would presume.

The presumed top 2 are better than anyone in this class, although they are both underclassmen with no guarantee that they enter the draft. After that the next few who might declare are in the same range as Stroud, Richardson, and Levi’s. 

If they can get one of the top 4 from this class, they should. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

Not when he's not a HoF level QB.  Even Derek Carr only got 4 yrs and he's almost 4 years younger.  Tom Brady got his last 3 yr deal at age 37, Drew Brees and Ben Roethlisberger at age 33. A-Rodg got his 3+ deal last year at age 38.  He's not in their class.  He'd be lucky to ever get offered more than 1-2 yrs from here on out.

No team, Vikings included, is going to hitch themselves to his wagon for longer than 2 yrs.

If Kirk adds a Superbowl I think with his numbers that he might be a borderline HOF player.  Over 40K yards more than a 2:1 TD/INT Ratio & add on atleast 1 Superbowl which he could very well earn SB MVP honors.  This whole Kirk is a bad QB narrative the media has spread is completely crazy.  Take away the name and start putting his numbers up against others and then try telling me he's just an okay QB

• Like 2

I love Stroud, but at the end of the day I'm tired of mediocrity. I hope the trade up and swing for the fences and take Richardson. The Vikings would be the perfect scenario for him as he wouldn't have to start and KOC can work his magic and have Richardson take a huge leap by year 2, which will hopefully also have a good defense by then. 

If Richardson doesn't work out, then we'd still be where we have been for the last 60 years. The horror. But I'm ready for us to take the risk to get us to greatness.

Edited by AP_allday2869
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, vike daddy said:

hey, i get that it could happen, this draft even more than others has a lot of unknown variables. but given the state of the team roster (we need more than one guy, basically) i just don't see it as likely.

so to me, it makes a lot more sense for any of us to say we'd do it personally or we hope the Vikings would do so, as opposed to writing they actually will.

I didn't say they will, if that's what you mean. Saying "I could see them trading up" isn't an absolute statement that they actually will do anything. Its a football forum, so a lot of stuff said on this site is in the context of an opinion lol

It would be pointless to say "I hope they potentially maybe make a move possibly" because then its like not saying anything at all.

Edited by SteelKing728
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 8:42 PM, Morlee said:

People are going to be so angry when we trade back into the 2nd to increase our volume of selections.  I’d be pretty disappointed too, but I’d understand it. 

Disappointed?

Nah, I would be super excited to get into the 2nd round, I would rather have two 2nd round picks that pick #23 to be honest with you.  No way a team would do that though, would be a 2nd and what a 4th or something later...  They could get two very quality players in the 2nd with a slot CB and a WR no doubt about it.  

They could get slot CB in Phillips, Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson or maybe Forbes along with a WR like Mims, Perry or Hyatt possibly.  Or could go NT and get Ika or Mazi Smith possibly.  

It would be nice if they did not trade away picks to division rivals for exactly what they wanted, last year they did it twice.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

It would be nice if they did not trade away picks to division rivals for exactly what they wanted, last year they did it twice.  

I get that sentiment, but building that good will might have directly increased our ability to make the trade for TJ Hockenson. Sometimes that stuff goes both ways. 

• Like 3

I’ll never understand the fear of trading within the division. If there isn’t a player on the board that you’re willing to add to your roster, why would you be worried about a division rival giving up extra assets to pick a player you’ve already deemed unworthy?

• Like 4