Jimmy G is staying with the 49ers

BroncoSojia

18 minutes ago, lancerman said:

He has a no trade clause 

If Deshaun Watson has taught us anything, it’s that an NTC gives the player the leverage to go wherever they want - it doesn’t prevent a trade, it only leaves the decision to the player.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'd imagine that was just to protect himself. I don't think he's going to say no to a trade to a quality team if it's an option. 

I don't think he's waiving it unless it's for a great situation. Either way it's a terrible look for Trey.

Just now, Hopper15 said:

I don't think he's waiving it unless it's for a great situation. Either way it's a terrible look for Trey.

I don't imagine anyone who has a bad situation would trade for him in season. Him being moved isn't long term for either party. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Hey Jimmy can you stay away from camp. This is Treys team and we will work towards trading you. 

Yeah no problem 

3 weeks later…

Hey Jimmy, I know we told you to stay away, but do you actually want to come back?

LOL

It's so bad, man.

No problems at all if this was the play right from jump. But it wasn't. They've legit messed up every level of this

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’m kinda shocked Jimmy is giving up being a starter essentially.

I guess he figured he was going to be a backup anywhere but Seattle. He still has a shot to be traded.

But If you're going to be a backup, do it in the place with good weapons in a scheme you're familiar with and players you have chemistry with

• Like 1

Wow. 

Just wow. 

Gotta imagine if the 9ers come out flat and Lance doesn't look good, it's gonna be a huge pie to the face. 

Meanwhile, Jimmy has a pretty good record as a starter. If things go sideways, he gets to say "It wasn't me" all while essentially holding the 9ers hostage in terms of a trade. 

The financial numbers are good. But like others have said, the optics are borderline disastrous. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's a great move.... If this has been the plan all along. He's not been in meetings, doesn't have a playbook. The way they bungled this so poorly just in terms of handling it is atrocious

Ah. Fair. Was not aware of that particular detail.

17 minutes ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

From the 49ers perspective?

Nope, from Jimmy Gs perspective. It’s a no brainer for the 49ers, a competent QB to back up an inexperienced QB who might not be everything the franchise expects.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’m kinda shocked Jimmy is giving up being a starter essentially.

Being a starter where though? There was no market for him, especially with his price tag. Teams like Cleveland could have traded for him if they wanted him and the Niners could have taken the same amount of cap hit as they are right now but they did not want to. 

After the surgery, it just was unlikely he was going to go into a starting situation. Now if there is an injury to a good team and Jimmy likes the talent around him, he may waive his NTC...If not, he can hit free agency healthy and I'm sure there will be a few teams more interested in him at that point.