2023 NFL Draft Prospects

Madmike90

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I am rolling the dice at pass rusher or OT…much more difficult to find those guys than a guard especially in a zone scheme like ours.

I’m still going to die on the hill that Skoronski is best at Center, which makes him more valuable than just saying he’s a Guard only for us.

I think I’d take him in that light if we come out of FA with a new RT.

And IF we do that, are you still grabbing one of Paris or Broderick to stick them at Guard for a bit?

Although it may be tempting I would never draft any RB with a top-10 pick I don't care how good he is. I don't even like taking them first round in general. Their shelf life is so short compared to other positions and you can find many good options at the position in the mid rounds. i.e. see Derrick Henry and countless other examples.

Aside from Adrian Peterson who I think was an amazing player I just don't think there's a long list of good examples of taking a RB that high and it ending up being beneficial to the team that drafts said player.

Heck even AP wasn't able to deliver a SB championship on those Vikings squads.

I fully expect Poles to address the OL or DL at 9 and that's probably the right way to go

If Monty is not brought back I expect us to take a RB somewhere in the mid rounds or pick up a mid free agent to complement Herbert

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I would take Skoronskis all day,  at least with that guarantee!  Like the man says, "any position" that would come with that guarantee would be impossible to turn away.  I might even take Skoronski at 9 even if pig-man can't play tackle, he seems like as sure a thing as you're going to get. 

Well at least you have the Chicago meatheaded way to say it down pat already!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Well at least you have the Chicago meatheaded way to say it down pat already!

My man that is the one thing I can offer to this forum.

But.  Really.  If you were offered a player that was guaranteed to get multiple pro bowls, at a position of need no less, how do you pass on them?  Also I do really like Skronowky and do think he'll be a really good pro, but if you made that guarantee about Wilson, or Ika I would take it in a second as well.  It's a weird question frankly, but comes down to: would you take a more premium position with big ? or would you take a guard, a safety, a running back etc with a guarantee.  I think the wise GM would probably take the guarantee.  As critical as I've been of Poles,  I do like the fact that he turned one pick (for a very likely good player) into 5 picks (including a good player.)  I don't think it could have turned out better although in my draft sim experience (extensive) I did manage 6 first round picks in 2024 so...

6 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I’m still going to die on the hill that Skoronski is best at Center, which makes him more valuable than just saying he’s a Guard only for us.

I think I’d take him in that light if we come out of FA with a new RT.

And IF we do that, are you still grabbing one of Paris or Broderick to stick them at Guard for a bit?

If we get that RT in FA then no I am probably trading back like my life depends on it and if I can’t I am still taking the best pass rushers…can’t have enough of those guys.

8 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

If we get that RT in FA then no I am probably trading back like my life depends on it and if I can’t I am still taking the best pass rushers…can’t have enough of those guys.

Where’s that poster that almost blew a gasket at the concept of avoiding drafting a position if we signed that position in free agency?

If edge/dl is gone at 9 and we signed a competent tackle in FA, I’d much rather trade back than draft a cb. For some reason I’ve always been against drafting CB’s in the top 10. A trade down could put us in a more proper position to take Torrence or a CB still. Or we could go all out on the d line in the first two rounds and ignore everything else. 

Love love love JMS, plus great initials.  I don't think he'll be around by our second round picks, but would be thrilled if they moved up to get him.  I have a very short and incomplete list of players I like in this draft at various values, and he's my favorite out of all of them (also JSN, Broderick Jones, Jalin Hyatt, and I can be talked into Van Ness)

On 3/11/2023 at 5:58 PM, topwop1 said:

Their shelf life is so short compared to other positions and you can find many good options at the position in the mid rounds. i.e. see Derrick Henry and countless other examples.

Aside from Adrian Peterson who I think was an amazing player I just don't think there's a long list of good examples of taking a RB that high and it ending up being beneficial to the team that drafts said player.

There's a flipside to that argument, as well.... The miss rate on the position is massive, and the prospects  you do find are terribly flawed. 

For example, we took Monty in the third...... Monty can't run. He's a running back, who isn't good at running.

We took Herbert in the 4th..... Herbert can run to the outside..  He's bad up the middle, couldn't catch a damn cold,  and his pass blocking is about as effective as the French army in the start of WW2.

I don't even remember when we took Tresten Ebner (6th round).... He can do *checks notes* nothing. Can't run, can't catch, can't pass block.....

Kerryth White? (7th round)  His best plays where as a backup for the I think it was Steelers?

Jordan Howard (5th round). He could pound the rock!....For about 2 years, and couldn't do a damn thing in the passing game.... I can't recall if he was good in pass pro. I suppose that could be an argument for either our points (he burnt out fast lowering RB value/making your point...... and he was a terribly flawed/incomplete back making my point)

Cohen (4th rounder). This was a decent hit,  but I'd argue he was a more specialized case given his more "offensive gadget player" role than a traditional back. He was probably both over and underrated, he wasn't the tier 1 game changer we kept trying to make him into, but he was a damn solid find. His career was shorter but that's arguably more on his size than the position/role he was in.

That leaves our last truly special running back that we drafted

Matt Forte. The only back on this list worth his second contract (Cohen might have been had he not been immediately crippled).... Could run, could catch, could pass pro.... Guy was a legitimate stud.... but he was also drafted higher than everyone else on this list, because he was a more talented/complete prospect.  2nd round, pick 44.

It's like any other position on the field, if you want actual talent you have to draft the actually talented players. It's not impossible to hit on guys or have successful role players from later draft picks.... but Herbert is kind of a best case scenario here, and while he's a solid runner, he again sucks hard at every other aspect of being a running back.

Hypothetical situation.  Say QBs go the top 4 and Will Anderson is still available at 5.  Say for whatever reason Seattle/AZ (because in this situation pretty much the only way Seattle isn't at pick at 5 is that they moved up to 3 for Richardson) and they are open to offers.  Would you be happy with moving from 9 to 5, and sending 2.61 and 4.133 (+maybe future pick) to get Will Anderson?  I love the idea of Will Anderson on the Bears but at this point, with so many recent drafts of move-up trades where we are literally drafting fewer players, I think I would not do it.

Edited by TankWilliams