Packers Trade For Nobody Day 557

MacReady

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Is it possible for an acquiring team to pick up the signing bonus from the trading team? Seems Detroit make some financial concessions when acquiring Goff? 

No.  It accelerates when the player is traded, so the team trading the player eats the dead cap of whatever is remaining from the prorated signing bonus.

I've said it all along, so this is not a reaction to the last three weeks: Rodgers should have been dealt to the Broncos. His value was never going to be higher, and there would be structure and opportunity to replace him. They could have had picks and cap space next year. If Love hit, they'd be the envy of the league. If he didn't, they'd have resources to get someone who would. Can't believe they chose this future. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Smidgeon said:

I've said it all along, so this is not a reaction to the last three weeks: Rodgers should have been dealt to the Broncos. His value was never going to be higher, and there would be structure and opportunity to replace him. They could have had picks and cap space next year. If Love hit, they'd be the envy of the league. If he didn't, they'd have resources to get someone who would. Can't believe they chose this future. 

Yah a lot of guys felt that way.  I was on the fence fine either way.  We were close they thought to try to run it back one more time.  Rodgers was still playing awesome.  Was MVP last year.  Nobody has a crystal ball.  It was a gamble either way.  Packers went the safe route.  Rodgers wanted to retire a Packer.  The brass probably wanted that too.  

Doesn't look like it's going to work out.  Hinesight is 20/20 always.  In retrospect given the choice they probably would have done the deal with Denver.  But hey a lot of football left maybe they can still turn it around.  Season isn't over just yet. 

• Like 2

On 10/18/2022 at 10:08 AM, Outpost31 said:

The days without a trade counter thread that doubles as a taking bets and bragging rights thread.

My official prediction?

The Packers trade for nobody every day from here until after you can’t do it anymore anyway.

Five years from now, a 6th round draft pick that would have been used in a trade has a 7 sack season in his third year, thus justifying that decision.

The last trade the Packers made to acquire a player was September 4th, 2021. The Packers received Corey B.

A punter.

They gave all the $ to a QB who is playing them.   And us.   

I still believe that this team has the roster to win the Super Bowl THIS YEAR with just one more addition.

This three game skid is the perfect catalyst every team needs for postseason adversity.

So I am still officially in the BUY opinion.

Worst case we lose a second or third round pick.

Who was the last second or third round pick we’ve had that’s been worth it?

Dillon, Jenkins and Fackrell are the only three I count since Davante.

This team does not draft well in the second and third round.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I still believe that this team has the roster to win the Super Bowl THIS YEAR with just one more addition.

This three game skid is the perfect catalyst every team needs for postseason adversity.

I'm in this boat too. Rodgers costs either 39m or 14m + 25m if we trade him or he retires. We'll probably eat the dead space of Bahk's cap and Jonesy too. Next year's going to suck and a 2nd or 3rd won't change a thing about that. Might as well see if you can get hot, get a wildcard and make a run.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Yah a lot of guys felt that way.  I was on the fence fine either way.  We were close they thought to try to run it back one more time.  Rodgers was still playing awesome.  Was MVP last year.  Nobody has a crystal ball.  It was a gamble either way.  Packers went the safe route.  Rodgers wanted to retire a Packer.  The brass probably wanted that too.  

Doesn't look like it's going to work out.  Hinesight is 20/20 always.  In retrospect given the choice they probably would have done the deal with Denver.  But hey a lot of football left maybe they can still turn it around.  Season isn't over just yet. 

Amen brother. Rodgers played as an MVP in 2021 and you figured he'd get Bakh, Jenkins, and Tonyan back in the offense. Hard to predict that it would be going this poorly just by losing Adams, MVS, and Turner.

18 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm in this boat too. Rodgers costs either 39m or 14m + 25m if we trade him or he retires. We'll probably eat the dead space of Bahk's cap and Jonesy too. Next year's going to suck and a 2nd or 3rd won't change a thing about that. Might as well see if you can get hot, get a wildcard and make a run.

Never Give Up Buddies.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I was in the trade Rodgers group as the best way out of the cap bind the Packers found themselves in. however, I never really considered the Packers letting Adams go and keeping Rodgers (at least not until it  became obvious to everybody Adams was going) - it was another way to get enough cap space to not lose too many of the guys that had played well in 2021, like Douglas and Campbell.

I didn't love the way it went down, but I didn't hate it either. I was more like "Ok, they found a different way to get some cap relief, I'll wait and see how it works out for us - maybe we get a year that is a final hurrah for Rodgers and the Lombardi returns to Green Bay. Well, it hasn't gone down like that, but this wasn't so obvious, pre-season.

The biggest worry I had back when it all went down, was that the option the Packers chose looked a bit too 'safe', going for the short term gain and plenty of long term pain. At that time I would have preferred that they had blown it up and restocked (meaning 2022 was probably a rebuild year anyway).

As it stands, the earliest you could move on from Rodgers is post June 1, 2024 (with a $27.5m dead cap hit), so the Packers need to find a way to make it work with AR from now until then. If it all comes back together for him, maybe that won't be as much of a pain as it might seem to be now.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Myers is still a work in progress. But I count twelve misses: yikes! I didn't realize it was that terrible. That definitely makes a two or three more expendable. .... Now looking back at Gute's drafts: it's an uptick from the last days of TT, but I'm less confident in the overall digression from the old draft philosophy. Still I like this class overall.

I agree GB has a chance: but Bakh's health is essential to that. I rewatched Tom: pretty sure he won't be ready til next year. He's ok to fill in, but..... still they lost, and playcalling was adjusted for Tom and Nijman.

And speaking of drafting, I thought Gute had to really nail this draft class to make a push (and he had an extra one and two): while I like it, I'm not sure he got out of it what he needed for a push this year. A little too much lean toward developmental futures when we needed a couple ready to start or key rotational guys this year.

Now with the Lazard injury (along with Cobb and Watson), I don't think they have an option. Claypool and Jeudy are for sale: doubt either takes more than a TWO and either is probably worth it, all considered. Rumor that they already called for Jeudy. I expect Gute will make a move before Sunday.

1 hour ago, JaireAlex said:

Now with the Lazard injury (along with Cobb and Watson), I don't think they have an option. Claypool and Jeudy are for sale: doubt either takes more than a TWO and either is probably worth it, all considered. Rumor that they already called for Jeudy. I expect Gute will make a move before Sunday.

I have a hard time to believe jeudy could be had for a 2

2 hours ago, JaireAlex said:

With our WR situation right now Gute almost has to make a move for either player.  I don't know which one is more desirable but desperate times call for desperate measures.  

It wouldn't be a shock if the Packers made a deal a WR, but I still doubt it happens. Anyone added wouldn't know the playbook and would have zero chemistry with Aaron and would be useless for several weeks. This isn't fantasy where the playbook and chemistry doesn't matter.  If the Packers were dealing with season ending injuries at the position it would be different, but they are not.