Week 18 Gameday Thread (Win And In Edition) - Green Bay Packers (8-8-0) vs. Detroit Lions (8-8-0)

Striker

8 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

What happened to Nijman? Why did he only play 13 snaps?  Was he benched for Tom?

He got hurt in the Miami game and got dinged up a little against the Vikings. From what I heard since we had the game under control they kept him out because Tom was getting the job done. If needed he could've come back in. This wasn't a benching it was precautionary.

Edited by St Vince

19 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Really not getting why anyone would think DET would just roll over if SEA wins earlier on Sunday.  DET is throwing everything they have at GB on Sunday night, regardless of what SEA does.

No doubt, but if they get behind by a few scores and the cold sets in into the4th quarter, human nature might take over a bit and businesses decisions will be made. If they are close, and I believe it will be, they will keep swinging to make a statement. Beating the Pack and Rodgers at Lambeau to knock us out would be just what Campbell wants to finish the year. 

51 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Really not getting why anyone would think DET would just roll over if SEA wins earlier on Sunday.  DET is throwing everything they have at GB on Sunday night, regardless of what SEA does.

Completely took what I said out of context. I said if Seattle wins, and we get Detroit down they may pack it in. It's one thing to want to beat us. It's another to try and make some miracle comeback. In fact, I could see players who are going to get a decent payday this off season suddenly pull a hammy or something, so they don't have to chance an injury. Can you imagine tearing an ACL when you were about to become a free agent, in the last game of the year with no playoff aspirations. 

Literal business decisions will be made. I wouldn't blame any of them for asking to sit if there were no playoff chance. 

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Yup. A winning record vs. a losing record would be huge for Dan Campbell and for the franchise as a whole, regardless of whether they made the playoffs. They would officially be one of next year's hot teams and at the very least, for a moment in time, wouldn't be thought of as a complete joke anymore. Huge, no matter the outcome. 

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Agreed.

I do agree to an extent but how disheartening would it be to wait to play all week for your chance at the postseason only to see/hear your chances taken away right before the game? 

22 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Completely took what I said out of context. I said if Seattle wins, and we get Detroit down they may pack it in. It's one thing to want to beat us. It's another to try and make some miracle comeback. In fact, I could see players who are going to get a decent payday this off season suddenly pull a hammy or something, so they don't have to chance an injury. Can you imagine tearing an ACL when you were about to become a free agent, in the last game of the year with no playoff aspirations. 

Literal business decisions will be made. I wouldn't blame any of them for asking to sit if there were no playoff chance. 

Detroit have not been a pack-it-in team. They will claw and scratch for a win regardless, they play hard for their coach. This is a good season for them and they will want to finish the season well. Also, it will be hard to get pressure on their QB against that O line and a QB with time, is dangerous.

Green Bay beats them if they match intensity and play like they did against Minnesota last week. Less than that and they could easily lose.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Detroit have not been a pack-it-in team. They will claw and scratch for a win regardless, they play hard for their coach. This is a good season for them and they will want to finish the season well. Also, it will be hard to get pressure on their QB against that O line and a QB with time, is dangerous.

Green Bay beats them if they match intensity and play like they did against Minnesota last week. Less than that and they could easily lose.

Not having a chance to make the playoffs will be an emotional letdown. There is no getting around it. 

I would have to imagine that if the Lions are eliminated before the game, there will be one or two players pulled from the game as several Lions players have nagging injuries and you wouldn't want to take the chance aggravating those injuries.  One of those could be Frank Ragnow.

Other than that, I expect the Lions to come out full bore considering the little respect they are getting right now.