2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I honestly think Cal McNair doesn’t have the confidence. He’s not some self made magnate, he’s lived off his dad’s teat since he was 17 - and he‘s more or less acknowledging he made big mistakes earlier in his tenure and trying to rely on himself vs a snake oil salesman. Cal no doubt hears the “Tommy Boy” comparisons - and he’s at least trying to be smarter this time.

I also think this is a move to protect themselves from having to hire another Culley/Lovie - in each hiring cycle before, the Texans zeroed in on a candidate and had to quickly pivot to an other (lesser) name. This time… by casting a wider net, they have a fallback plan in the event DeMeco takes another job or stays in San Francisco another year.

That makes sense, although it does seem like the idea they are locked in on DeMeco is wishful thinking to a degree. 

He does not appear to be in the running for the Carolina job, and I really do not think Denver makes sense for a lot of different reasons, and based on what he has said publicly, it does appear he feels ready to take a coaching job, so Houston does make a lot of sense for everyone. 

With that being said, I really hope Jed York opens up the checkbook and makes it expensive for Cal to pry him away. Either way, he deserves to get PAID. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Well the NO beat guys throwing out that Payton may be booth-bound again.   That’s the 2-sided part of the equation.  If the only teams Payton likes aren’t willing to meet NO’s price or give him the control he wants (or both) - back to the booth.    Could really get interesting this week.  

Would you guys have the picks to make it happen?