2022 NFC Championship: 49ers vs. Eagles

DigInBoys

Who will win the NFC Championship?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the NFC Championship?

• 49ers
    • Eagles
    • Toss Up

18 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

They barely beat the Cowboys, an inferior team to the Eagles, at home. The Eagles on the road is a much bigger test lol.

What I meant was the Cowboys were a larger test than the Vikings or Giants or anyone else they would've played sans the Eagles, and they looked really good doing it. Eagles sleepwalked through a complete fraud of a team so it's hard to say with them, much like Dallas sleepwalked through a fraud of a team as well.

15 hours ago, ET80 said:

Not gonna predict a winner or loser, but I’ll say - this is going to be remembered as the game of the year, it’s going to rival last years’ Bills v Chiefs thriller.

If you’re a football fan, you’re going to love this one.

Eh, could be another defensive slugfest like Niners Cowboys where neither team could really move the ball.

6 hours ago, Danger said:

If Maddox is playing, what are these favorable matchups?

Deebo vs Slay?
Aiyuk vs Bradberry?
Jennings vs Maddox?

I’m pretty sure he meant PHI WR vs SF DB. 

To your Q - I know Maddox returned to the field but he didn’t actually practice.   Until he can with turf toe & being out this long I think SB is more realistic.   Jennings yard props would be a great bet if Maddox is out.   Kittle & Jennings would be their best hope.  

IMO if it’s a high scoring game I don’t see SF keeping up.   Winning a 17-16 or 16-13 game, absolutely.   The issue as others have mentioned is the PHI OL can neutralize Bosa - then the pass game really opens up.   

Edited by Broncofan

10 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Anomalies do happen, I love when fans give a couple examples and thinking it’s anything close to a regular occurance. BTW I actually picked the Eagles in that SB. 

It's not that rare though. This is just a look-back and granted the gaps aren't necessarily Mahomes to Purdy, there should be a consensus around who's the better QB was among the last 11 SB winners. In my list, the lesser QBs are 5-3 in this period.  

• 2022: Burrow > Stafford. Small gap, loss
  • 2021: Brady = Mahomes. No gap
  • 2020: Mahomes > Garoppolo. Big gap, win  
  • 2019: Brady >  Goff. Big gap, win
  • 2018: Brady > Foles. Big gap, loss
  • 2017: Brady = Ryan. No gap (this was MVP Ryan)
  • 2016: Newton > PManning. Big gap, loss (this was MVP Newton vs. corpse of Peyton)
  • 2015: Brady > Wilson. Big gap, win
  • 2014: PManning > Wilson. Big gap, loss
  • 2013: Flacco = Kaepernick. No gap 
  • 2012: Brady > EManning. Big gap, loss 

Returning to the NFCC game, the Eagles are a formidable opponent and my Niners will have to play a near-perfect game at all levels to eke out a win. With HFA, I'd say Eagles wins 6-7 games out of 10.  

13 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

They barely beat the Cowboys, an inferior team to the Eagles, at home. The Eagles on the road is a much bigger test lol.

Eagles are better than the Cowboys, no doubt. But 49ers v Cowboys is such a big rival, there is so much pressure on the players that it makes it bigger then just a playoff game. 

6 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:
16 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Why is this game, the early game?

Because Mahomes and Burrow have more name recognition than Hurts and Purdy

Yup. This is all about star power, and Mahomes and Burrow are two of the top draws in football.

3 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Because they alternate every single year. Last year the AFC Championship went first. 

I didn’t realize they switched every year. I thought it was all about potential forecasted ratings, and where home teams (fan bases) play. If the game was in SF, would they really start it at 12 or 1 PST. 

54 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Yup. This is all about star power, and Mahomes and Burrow are two of the top draws in football.

That’s not the case. Two years ago, Brady/Rodgers was the early game while Mahomes/Allen (and Allen wasn’t quite yet the superstar he is today) went in the late slot. Why? Because in even-numbered seasons, NFC title game goes first. Odd-numbered seasons, AFC title game goes first. I’m not sure how long this structure has been in effect but that’s how it works.