What's Aaron Rodgers trade value?

49ersfan

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

There's also a chance that another team gets involved later in the offseason if the Jets wait. Maybe the 49ers if they're not confident in Purdy/Lance.

This is something, albeit low-probability, that the people trying to argue that the Jets are holding all the cards have failed to recognize.  If a QB goes down in OTA's or the early part of training camp (i.e. past-June 1st, so after the milestone necessary for the Packers to still maintain the prorating on the cap-hits of AR's signing bonus), a team that considers themselves "in contention" like a San Francisco, Miami, or several others depending on how the draft shakes out (I could see potential for Tennessee, maybe Atlanta, and maybe even Tampa to feel this way) could see a 1-2 year rental of Rodgers as a very viable option if it meant a legitimate crack at a Lombardi.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr LBC said:

Well, it's not like McD isn't already notorious for pulling out or going back on his word.

More likely a failed physical, giving them the option to explore Rodgers/Lamar for the next 24 hours before giving Jimmy a lower contract. 

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

More likely a failed physical, giving them the option to explore Rodgers/Lamar for the next 24 hours before giving Jimmy a lower contract. 

Your pick is 350 pts more valuable than the Jets. 

I mean 7/38/70 for Rodgers and 15 still gives you a pick in the top 15 of the draft and nets GB 1210 on the trade chart in which pick 13 nets us 1150. If the Raiders jumped in and were serious, it would probably be pretty easy for them to win out.

5 hours ago, sinceAtikevike said:

You run a billion dollar, public-facing company...do you want to leave this up to the potential that another team may get involved later? And if they don't what is GB's exit strategy outside of hope/faith (exercise the contract and it now impacts future years, don't exercise the option and have a 60 million dollar cap hit on an all-time great backup QB that you wanted to move?)

Exercise the contract and it affects this season.  That's it.  Go look at the contract.  The fact that he would be on an option was baked into the structure of the contract (his '23 base salary is like $5m).  If they don't trade him then the future prorated portions of his signing bonus don't accelerate and compound - meaning he's actually cheaper to keep than to trade.  Is it a headache (no doubt because Aaron will throw a public fit, because that's who he's showing himself to be, he may just use surrogates like Hawk and McAfee to be his mouthpieces for him)?  Sure.  But let's not pretend like it bends the Packers over a barrel to the point where their able to lick their own backsides.

Exercising his '23 option doesn't automatically exercise his '24 option or his '25 option (both of which are coincidentally double what the '23 option is), that's why they're called options.  The team would have the option to revisit exercising those options in those successive years, assuming Rodgers didn't opt for retirement (at which point all they'd be on the hook for in terms of cap-accounting is the hits from his signing bonus, which would continue on the schedule they're currently on - equally portioned out over the remaining years of the contract).

*** CONSPIRACY THEORY *** 

I full heartedly believe that Aaron Rodgers didn't hold the interview with Pat McAfee show for any other reason then a last ditch effort to get the Raiders back involved and here's why:

Reason 1: Timing - The timing of the interview was coincidentally just hours before NFL transactions can be officially announced at 4pm on Wednesday. He said and I quote "I think it's time the world knows what's going on", but why then? Why not at any point during the weekend? Why just hours before the new league year? He'd stayed quiet almost all off-season until then and I feel it was desperation. 

Reason 2: Word choice - Throughout the entire interview he NEVER said he WANTED to play for the New York Jets he said he INTENDS to play for the New York Jets or used "It's my intentions to" - that's not a full commitment and it's very specific word usage by him. If that was REALLY what he wanted, why not just outright say that instead of using a word that gives you an out to the public if it doesn't work out that way?

Piece from an Article I read on this:  "If Rodgers is smart enough to use “immunized” in a way to dance around the term “vaccinated,” he’s smart enough to know what it means to say expressly articulate the word “intention,” not once but twice."

Reason 3: His pitch - I don't know how many people heard it or picked up on it, but he made it clear with these words during the interview that he would have liked to play with Davante Adams again:

“I think there were other teams that were interested and obviously there are certain players that I have a lot of love and affinity for,” Rodgers said. “Reuniting with especially one specific person would’ve been good.”

I honestly think this was him making a subtle pitch to the Raiders in public that he'd like to play for them. Plus, let's be honest here. Las Vegas fits him as a person FAR BETTER than what New York does.

Reason 4: No Official deal - Then the tweet came out that there isn't an official deal between LVR and Jimmy g

I just think the timing of all of this on top of everything that's happened leading up to this, is awfully awfully peculiar and I would not in the least bit be surprised to hear that Las Vegas is back in negotiations with the Packers and may very well snipe Aaron Rodgers from the New York Jets. 

I could be wrong, but I definitely think there's more to it.

Edited by Nick_gb
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

I full heartedly believe that Aaron Rodgers didn't hold the interview with Pat McAfee show for any other reason then a last ditch effort to get the Raiders back involved and here's why:

Reason 1: Timing - The timing of the interview was coincidentally just hours before NFL transactions can be officially announced at 4pm on Wednesday. He said and I quote "I think it's time the world knows what's going on", but why then? Why not at any point during the weekend? Why just hours before the new league year? He'd stayed quiet almost all off-season until then and I feel it was desperation. 

Reason 2: Word choice - Throughout the entire interview he NEVER said he WANTED to play for the New York Jets he said he INTENDS to play for the New York Jets or used "It's my intentions to" - that's not a full commitment and it's very specific word usage by him. If that was REALLY what he wanted, why not just outright say that instead of using a word that gives you an out to the public if it doesn't work out that way?

Piece from an Article I read on this:  "If Rodgers is smart enough to use “immunized” in a way to dance around the term “vaccinated,” he’s smart enough to know what it means to say expressly articulate the word “intention,” not once but twice."

Reason 3: His pitch - I don't know how many people heard it or picked up on it, but he made it clear with these words during the interview that he would have liked to play with Davante Adams again:

“I think there were other teams that were interested and obviously there are certain players that I have a lot of love and affinity for,” Rodgers said. “Reuniting with especially one specific person would’ve been good.”

I honestly think this was him making a subtle pitch to the Raiders in public that he'd like to play for them. Plus, let's be honest here. Las Vegas fits him as a person FAR BETTER than what New York does.

Reason 4: No Official deal - Then the tweet came out that there isn't an official deal between LVR and Jimmy g

I just think the timing of all of this on top of everything that's happened leading up to this, is awfully awfully peculiar and I would not in the least bit be surprised to hear that Las Vegas is back in negotiations with the Packers and may very well snipe Aaron Rodgers from the New York Jets. 

360_F_293651706_yWPUuo6vbVXYIRaS6GDsGj5G

8 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

You gotta admire his commitment to getting VD from every burner at Sapphires, don't ya?

11 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Good stuff.

might be stretching to connect some of those dots.....BUT.... it would not be shocking to see things stall with NYJ and then some other team become involved (whether it be rumored or actual).

8 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Rogers isn't a franchise QB he's a rental.  And your team president said it's Love's team.   

Pack fans keep forgetting this and acting like their trading MVP Rodgers.....

• Like 1