What's Aaron Rodgers trade value?

49ersfan

59 minutes ago, Pool said:

Is this a serious question? Players playing ability takes a dive almost overnight ALL.THE.TIME. In every sport. You are living in fantasy land if you think its a guarantee that  Rodgers at 39 is going to play at an MPV level. He could just as easily be this years Matt Ryan Colts experiment.

where is the expectation that Rodgers will play at an MVP level?

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

where is the expectation that Rodgers will play at an MVP level?

From the Jets? Or is it from GB? Isn't that a huge part of the question here? Which Rodgers are you getting?

Since part of the hold up appears to be the lack of assurances that Rodgers plays beyond this year, what do you think about a '25 pick that Packers could send based on what the Jets send in 2024 AND whether or not Rodgers plays?  Hypothetically speaking, here's the package.

New York Jets Receive:
QB Aaron Rodgers
2025 Conditional 3rd/4th Round Pick (IF Rodgers doesn't play for the Jets in 2024, 3rd round pick if a FRP is conveyed in 2024 or a 4th if a SRP is conveyed)

Green Bay Packers Receive:
'24 Conditional FRP/SRP (FRP if they make the playoffs, SRP if they miss the playoffs)

From the 2023 picks alone, that puts Rodgers' value as worth roughly 33rd pick in the NFL Draft.  Add in the future pick that's being conveyed, and that's roughly a late FRP plus a bit more.  In exchange for not giving up the #13 pick, the Jets have to upgrade their future pick.  If they prefer something that "weakens" the future pick, I'd offer up this.

New York Jets Receive:
QB Aaron Rodgers
2025 Conditional 4th/5th Round Pick (IF Rodgers doesn't play for the Jets in 2024, 4th round pick if a SRP is conveyed in 2024 or a 5th if a 3rd is conveyed)

Green Bay Packers Receive:
'24 Conditional SRP/3rd (SRP if they make the playoffs, 3rd if they miss the playoffs)

That package values the current package as worth roughly the 26th pick this year, plus a little bit more than that when you factor in the future pick(s).

• Like 1

I think it's comical right now that the Jets and Packers DIDN'T have a compensation package in principle already worked out "BEFORE" allowing talks to occur with Rodgers.

Whichever side ***'d that up (Jets) is an idiot! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I think it's comical right now that the Jets and Packers DIDN'T have a compensation package in principle already worked out "BEFORE" allowing talks to occur with Rodgers.

Jets gonna Jet

14 hours ago, Acgott said:

That’s what i thought. GB can take their time, Rodgers won’t show up for OTA or training camp and they’ll make sure they get their offer. The longer it takes, the more it hurts the Jets.

The only reason Rodgers would show up to OTAs is because GB doesn't want him to. 

4 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Maybe they did and then Rodgers hinted at something that led to Jets wanting to alter their offer?

Rodgers only playing 1 year.  Rodgers saying don't trade that much, GB will want me gone and do so for less.

5 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I would think there was at least parameters worked out but one side has shifted their stance 

19 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Both sides have motivation to get this done.  Unfortunately for the Jets, there's no backup options elsewhere.  There's no Jimmy G.  There's no Derek Carr.  It's Aaron Rodgers or Zach Wilson, and the Jets can't go back down that path again.  The Jets have to get Rodgers.

And for the Packers?

The Jets could try and make a play for Stafford, Tannehill or even Lamar. They could look to the draft. It would suck, but other options exist. The Packers literally have no where else to turn.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

And for the Packers?

The Jets could try and make a play for Stafford, Tannehill or even Lamar. They could look to the draft. It would suck, but other options exist. The Packers literally have no where else to turn.

What I think he's missing is the contract is not traveling with the Jets. The majority will be a sunk cost for GB no matter what happens. That said it's still odd that this isn't completed yet... one of the teams I think either changed there compensation package but I can't imagine that not getting leaked or this is all a moot point and the teams already have the deal worked out but just ironing out the last details.

8 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

What I think he's missing is the contract is not traveling with the Jets. The majority will be a sunk cost for GB no matter what happens. That said it's still odd that this isn't completed yet... one of the teams I think either changed there compensation package but I can't imagine that not getting leaked or this is all a moot point and the teams already have the deal worked out but just ironing out the last details.

The contract does travel with the Jets, though. Once traded, the Jets would exercise the Option which means the money gets spread out over the 23/24/25 cap seasons and has some cascading impact on future guaranteed money. The contract is complex; the best breakdown I've seen is the youtube link posted a few pages back but even it has lots of moving parts and "what ifs"...

I think most people think Rodgers is worth a FRP even for just 1 year, and the Jets are just trying to force the pack to trade for cheap. So I don’t mind GB telling them to kick rocks if the jets try to fleece them. 

Just now, umphrey said:

I think most people think Rodgers is worth a FRP even for just 1 year, and the Jets are just trying to force the pack to trade for cheap. So I don’t mind GB telling them to kick rocks if the jets try to fleece them. 

You’re worth what the market is. Unless another team comes and offers a FRP, then his value is what the one team in play is willing to give, considering returning to GB is not an option. Which is why this could drag out.

20 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

You’re worth what the market is. Unless another team comes and offers a FRP, then his value is what the one team in play is willing to give, considering returning to GB is not an option. Which is why this could drag out.

returning to GB is an option.  Not the best option, but it does exist as an option.