What's Aaron Rodgers trade value?

49ersfan

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I hope so, the stars are aligning for it to happen especially considering we get him at a fraction of the cost financially for the next 2 seasons.

You think Rodgers wouldn't be traded and then say he wants 50mil a year? He'd want a new deal and doesn't care if we have to structure it with 3 dead cap void years or whatever. I doubt he'd do us a long term favor by just rolling with his current deal to help us out.

edit:
> Trade pick 7 for Rodgers
> Pay me.
> No.
> I retire then.
> We just traded pick 7 for you though
> Pay me.

Edited by Trojan

Just now, Trojan said:

You think Rodgers wouldn't be traded and then say he wants 50mil a year? He'd want a new deal and doesn't care if we have to structure it with 3 dead cap void years or whatever. I doubt he'd do us a long term favor by just rolling with his current deal to help us out.

If anything he's going to have to negotiate his deal down. If they trade for him they'll have to pick up his option for 2026 which would lower his cap number for the next two seasons but also triggers a $58M cash bonus he'd receive the day of the trade. I think he'll be okay with playing for 15M/32M over the next two seasons if he gets $58M on day one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trojan said:

edit:
> Trade pick 7 for Rodgers
> Pay me.
> No.
> I retire then.
> We just traded pick 7 for you though
> Pay me.

You're not going to trade for him if you haven't already negotiated how you're going to handle the contract situation though. And as I mentioned above, he'd get a $58M bonus if we trade for him, that's a lot of money to turn down by retiring because you wanted to raise your cap number.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

The level that you have been brainwashed by anti Rodgers media pieces is insane… snap out of it dude. It was a hit piece, like by some media journalists extremely offended by his vaccine situation. 

The fact no one is agreeing with you is telling. Not to mention I’ve never seen anyone else mention this.

Sigh. The first and last serious post was calling him a strange guy. First day on the internet? It’s super cereal around here

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Why trade for the back to back MVP, who's still a top 3-4 QB in the league, because you can sign Jimmy G, who is arguably a downgrade from Carr and will cost just as much. (Twice as much as Rodgers cap wise)

Hmmm...

Yeah… I don’t think you’d be getting that Rodgers. He’s full blown mid-life crisis right now. If you were to tell me Rodgers would retire midseason to start a podcast about conspiracy theories and the meaning of life, I wouldn’t be that shocked.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Why trade for the back to back MVP, who's still a top 3-4 QB in the league, because you can sign Jimmy G, who is arguably a downgrade from Carr and will cost just as much. (Twice as much as Rodgers cap wise)

Hmmm...

If you read the Rodgers' threads in the Packers' subforum you would think AR is a has been whose best days are far behind him.  Most of the guys are so ready to move on from him and are weary of the circus around him.  There will be heavy drinking in Wisconsin if he is our starting QB in 2023.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pugger said:

If you read the Rodgers' threads in the Packers' subforum you would think AR is a has been whose best days are far behind him.  Most of the guys are so ready to move on from him and are weary of the circus around him.  There will be heavy drinking in Wisconsin if he is our starting QB in 2023.

Not me.

First...I'm not in Wisconsin :) - but I'll root for him to succeed and hope for the best - as I always do -but, based on his on the field performances in tough games against top teams.....I've come to question if he's capable of getting us over the hump.

I've come to question whether he's got "clutch" in him anymore. As I've said elsewhere (or somewhere around here..) I see other playoff teams facing adversity....and overcoming....or coming really close to overcoming. I've not see that from AR (or the Packers for that matter) for some time.

I wouldnt mind a change. Will it be better? Cant say.

Edited by Leader

11 hours ago, malak1 said:

If the Packers got offered just #7 they should take that offer immediately.

#7 is a not very top heavy draft isn't overly valuable.  Honestly, I don't see a huge drop off between picks 7 and 15.  I'd rather angle for as much draft capital in 2024.

11 hours ago, Trojan said:

What did Mark Davis give up for Carson Palmer? 1+future 2? I would think something like that Davis would do again for Rodgers. I don't know if the Packers would be down for a 1+2 for next year, but they should and just skip this class altogether. Either Love proves it or you have real ammo for Caleb Williams.

That'd be my logic.  I'd want the FRP pick swap as part of the deal, but I'm angling for their FRP next year.  That way if Jordan Love does struggle, they should be in play to make a move up for Caleb Williams or Drake Maye.

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

They can always accept the 7th pick and then move down on draft night to acquire an additional 1st in 2024. So they'd have 2 1sts this year and 2 next year as well. 

A FRP in hand is always going to be worth more than a FRP you might be able to get.  At the end of the day, teams are more prudent then ever about not handing over FRPs in future years especially for non-QBs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Trojan said:

I would be okay with also just punting the season and get Caleb Williams. The entire NFC South sucks so they will score wins on one another, ditto AFC South. We're in a great AFC West if Sean Payton redeems anything outta Russ. We are contenders for pick #1 next year if we just don't address QB. Run it back with Stidham and just say you thought his performance against the 49ers was what we thought we'd get over 17 games.

But do you believe the Raiders are bad enough to be in the mix for Caleb Williams?  Because I certainly don't.

• Like 1

In my experience, aging stars don't have a trade value;  they have a replacement  value.  The question is never "How much?" but "To whom?"  The price is the first round pick the acquiring team would otherwise have to use on a rookie QB and with which the Packers will draft a new one.  

So who wants an Aaron Rodgers?  As good as he is even today, Rodgers is worse than useless to a team bottoming out;  he'd just preclude them from getting top picks the following year or two before he retires, leaving the team with neither a QB nor the draft [or any other kind of] capital to obtain one.  

Thus, the appeal begins and ends with a middling team that believes--however delusionally--that it is "just a QB away" from contending for the playoffs but hasn't demonstrated an ability to recognize and develop QB talent on its own.  Above all, if the quarterback has a No Trades clause, the acquiring team must have a good O-Line and receivers as well as a half decent defense.  If the Colts think 2022 was an anomaly then, in the context of the AFC-South and their own questionable self-awareness, they'd qualify.  Atlanta and the Raiders are at least a defense away from consideration.  Carolina is further still.  New Orleans would be an alternative but they seem more interested in Derek Carr. 

In the end, it will be apparent that the ideal path would be the one Tom Brady took.  If Aaron Rodgers does leave Green Bay this spring he would be headed to the other Bay if Tampa had the cap space.  All of this is a roundabout way of saying that, barring some creative accounting, Aaron will likely end up exactly where he is.

Edited by Dr A W Niloc
Corrected: Aaron does not have a No Trade clause.