Rams trade CB Jalen Ramsey to Dolphins for 3rd rounder + TE Hunter Long

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

I don’t like the trade in it’s separate entity but if the plan is to get Ramsey money completely off the books and send him to where he wants to go to continue to help the Rams be a place players want to while helping 2024 offseason give the Rams a ton of cap space to really get put back on the map then it’s not a total waste. It’s taking one step back in order to take three steps forward. It’s the opposite of what the Saints are doing. Their bill will be due but they are still kicking the can down the road rather than going through one or even two seasons of a bit of retool then coming back big with great cap space and putting themselves back on the map.

I highly doubt whoever they use the money for, a 3rd rounder, and Hunter Long will be more valuable than Ramsey. Those who say he lost a step obviously didn't watch much of him last year. 

If the plan is to rebuild, fine. That's the only way this makes sense. If we're still planning on contending then this was an absolute robbery. 

1 hour ago, 4thandInches said:

This seems like the only theory that makes sense.

I respect the genius of it and hate it at the same time. That's how they got McVay back. "Listen, we need you to lead a tank job and we're going to load up on picks and select Caleb Williams for you for the next 15 years. Thoughts?"

14 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I highly doubt whoever they use the money for, a 3rd rounder, and Hunter Long will be more valuable than Ramsey. Those who say he lost a step obviously didn't watch much of him last year. 

If the plan is to rebuild, fine. That's the only way this makes sense. If we're still planning on contending then this was an absolute robbery. 

Hell yeah Ramsey will be valuable easily than what the Rams got back. I don’t think the Rams are rebuilding but cap space and they know they will be sacrificing defense to get this offense back to being great. They will have to win shootouts so if anyone still doubting Stafford he is going to have to step up even more this season bc the burden is going to heavily be on the offense to carry this team. I expect the Rams to go all in on offense already started by getting TE Long. Hopefully McVay can make him into something but this offense will be key in 2023. Now 2024 when the Rams have the cap space that’s when they will start to get pieces back on defense. 

Rams should have been able to get either an additional conditional pick for 2024 or a better player than Long in the deal. 

It's obviously a salary dump but Ramsey has value to multiple teams. If the Rams are going to tank for Caleb (with Drake as the consolation prize), maybe they should move Donald this year. If 2023 isn't his last hurrah, 2024 probably is. If they take a QB high in the 2024 draft, they don't need Stafford as his mentor, a Brisset or Taylor would be fine.  Releasing Stafford with a post June 1 designation next offseason saves them about 100 mil on the cap. Trading Donald after June 1 this year will save them about 64 mil in 2024 and 2025. 

And I’ll just say this. I’m guilty of this bc following the NBA I was so upset the Kings traded Haliburton and Hield for Sabonis. And the Kings have had a long history of screwing up. But Sabonis deal has actually worked out as he is thriving and the Kings are thriving. So that was something that had me thinking never judge something right away. Wait awhile to see the results.

With the Rams I’m trusting the process. The Rams got judged for hiring the youngest coach in football. They got judged for giving Whitworth and Woods big deals in FA. They even got judged for drafting Kupp in the 3rd round. It’s safe to say big picture they do know what they are doing. So let’s wait and see how it all shapes out. Trading Ramsey, cutting Floyd and Wagner are just the beginning of the Rams plans. So let’s just wait to see. And we won’t know anything until earliest the 2024 offseason with all their picks and a lot of cap space. Seeing what moves they make and how the 2024 season goes and beyond.

It’s really hard to be excited about the Rams this season. They might be last in that division depending on the Kyler show. 2024 they are positioning themselves for but man 2023 looks bleak right now. 

I get that the Patriots have been doing this very same thing for decades and having success with it but it’s hard having the Rams being the second home team here and seeing them jettison so many players this off season. 

Edited by Leoric

4 hours ago, JonStark said:

FWIW, I thought we'd get a 2nd and maybe a 4th or add in something to get a 1st, but there's way too much flexing of "I told you so" in here because Les got insanely fleeced. 

FWIW, most of us are responding to a single response where somebody said Ramsey was going for a first so Snead could flip that pick for another established player. That’s not happening here - this is a precursor to a tear down, to which I was told “Sean McVay isn’t returning for a tear down or rebuild…”

I don’t need to listen to some podcast, I’ve witnessed enough tear downs from my own team to recognize what’s going on. Many of us called a tear down the minute Ramsey trade rumors started flying around, and THAT’S what we’re calling out.

At least, that’s my take.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Trading Ramsey, cutting Floyd and Wagner are just the beginning of the Rams plans. So let’s just wait to see. And we won’t know anything until earliest the 2024 offseason with all their picks and a lot of cap space. Seeing what moves they make and how the 2024 season goes and beyond.

I'm just curious how they convinced McVay, Donald , Kupp and Stafford this was the plan, we're punting 2023? 

Let's not be mistaken, you are. 

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

FWIW, most of us are responding to a single response where somebody said Ramsey was going for a first so Snead could flip that pick for another established player. That’s not happening here - this is a precursor to a tear down, to which I was told “Sean McVay isn’t returning for a tear down or rebuild…”

I don’t need to listen to some podcast, I’ve witnessed enough tear downs from my own team to recognize what’s going on. Many of us called a tear down the minute Ramsey trade rumors started flying around, and THAT’S what we’re calling out.

At least, that’s my take.

I think that take is fair, but I'd be willing to bet half of the "won't net a 1st" talk was from people who have no idea about the salary cap and were using him "falling off" as a reasoning. That's not the case at all. We just gave away a top 3-5 CB for peanuts, and even if you didn't see him netting a first, the return should be shocking to everyone. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

And I’ll just say this. I’m guilty of this bc following the NBA I was so upset the Kings traded Haliburton and Hield for Sabonis. And the Kings have had a long history of screwing up. But Sabonis deal has actually worked out as he is thriving and the Kings are thriving. So that was something that had me thinking never judge something right away. Wait awhile to see the results.

With the Rams I’m trusting the process. The Rams got judged for hiring the youngest coach in football. They got judged for giving Whitworth and Woods big deals in FA. They even got judged for drafting Kupp in the 3rd round. It’s safe to say big picture they do know what they are doing. So let’s wait and see how it all shapes out. Trading Ramsey, cutting Floyd and Wagner are just the beginning of the Rams plans. So let’s just wait to see. And we won’t know anything until earliest the 2024 offseason with all their picks and a lot of cap space. Seeing what moves they make and how the 2024 season goes and beyond.

2024 and the following years of the re-build are obviously tbd. It’s 2023 that people are looking at and saying “the towel’s been thrown”. 

Beyond 2023, the Rams should have a nice draft pick and some cap space (although everyone has cap space in 2024 as of now).