2.50 - Jayden Reed [WR; Michigan State]

CWood21

Honestly i'm not seeing the speed on tape, looks at best a 4.4/4.5 guy but others have pointed out he's feisty and competitive. His hands looks quite good and has shown ability to adjust to off-target throws.  He can jump up and compete in the air, he still has some elusiveness and some athleticism which shows up on tape but nothing ground breaking. Not seeing elite traits but I think it's his overall body of work which the Packers liked.

He's the opposite of JSN in some ways, where JSN is clearly more agile and plays "soft", Reed clearly doesn't change direction quite as well but makes up for it with a more much physical game. In LaFleurs offence where WRs are asked to block I think Reed's physicality translates better.

I don't mind the pick, would've liked to see someone who pops out more but he should be a solid contributor at least.

Edited by Chili

Just now, Ragnarok said:

I agree here.  He's fast, but has subpar jumps and agility.  He's the type you take in the 4th or 5th at best(if not 7th), not the 2nd.  Much better options were available.

When we get finished with the draft, I will really have a different looking class in the Are You Smarter Than Gute thread, because of this second round.  

But one thing I am wondering is if I was missing something the whole time about the WRs.  I have been a huge proponent of the "big" WRs that the Packers seem to take.  However, I think I always overlooked Randall Cobb and his role as the small receiver.  He wasn't an exception, he is part of the room.  When he was gone in 19 and 20 the Packers filled his "small" WR role with a combination of Tyler Ervin, Darrius Shepherd and Tavon Austin, which when added together is still a pretty small contribution, and for sake of argument we will count as one player, based on effectiveness, and routes run.  They then replaced them with Amari Rodgers, and soon brought back Randall Cobb.  Amari flamed out, so Cobb fulfilled that role again, and while we had two "smalls" we had one contributor.  The rest of the WRs on the roster are "big" 6'1 and 200+ pounds.  This tracks as far back as TT and Greg Jennings (Driver and Jennings were about the same size).

Move ahead to today, we have just drafted "small" Jayden Reed (5'11 190).  We also have "small" Bo Melton (5'11 189).  The rest of our WRs currently on the roster/drafted are at least 6'1, and only Samori Toure is under 200 pounds.  Of our 200 pounders, all of them are at least 6'2.  I will definitely revisit this topic, because it interests me.  But let's make a hypothesis that we can revisit tomorrow, and at the end of the preseason.  I predict that any further drafted WRs in this draft will be at least 6'2 and over 200 pounds, as will any UDFAs that we bring in.  And even though I like both of them, I will predict that the other two "smalls," Melton and Toure, are PS bound to start the season, if we do add two more "bigs." That is provided that the added bigs aren't just total bums in camp.  

7 hours ago, incognito_man said:

it's odd to me how overlooked he was. Productive B10 receiver with a skillset and history in line with Greg Jennings and Antonio Brown. You guys could have pretty easily convinced me he was a first round WR.

That's not even close lol

I've watched Reed since I watched quite a bit of Jalen Nailor. Reed is nowhere near Brown/Diggs/Jennings. He's more Harry Douglas with a little more upside.

Bookmark this post. Jayden Reed will never come close to Brown/Diggs/Jennings. 

• Like 1

Watching some of the highlights, it seems that he has different gears. His feet move really quickly in traffic for separation, and if he gets three steps free— which is always a big ask—he shows the top end which pulls away from defenders. 

I see that SteelKing728 has posted. I predict he will say, “I knew Stefon Diggs. Stefon Diggs was a friend of mine. Jayden Reed, sir, is no Stefon Diggs.” 
Let’s post this and see if I was right.

(EDIT) BOOYAH!

Edited by Uffdaswede

I'm not going to lie guys, I don't see Stefon Diggs at all. Diggs has an absolutely special ability to put his foot in the ground and explode away from a defender, while also showing enough wiggle to mess you up in the stem such that he can play the vertical game. 

I don't see anything approaching that with Reed. 

He's fine. I really like his hands. He does a nice job catching away from his body, and he highpoints effectively. He's not a bad athlete by any stretch of the imagination, but the only plus part of his game for me is his hands. Everything else looks fine. It looks like it will play at the pro level in the slot. I just don't see a vertical game on the boundary. 

I haven't keyed in much on his blocking, but I don't expect it to move the needle for me. 

+++

This is fine. It's a middle of the road pick. We need a WR and it's a piss poor WR class. 

Sometimes the board doesn't work out. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:
8 hours ago, incognito_man said:

it's odd to me how overlooked he was. Productive B10 receiver with a skillset and history in line with Greg Jennings and Antonio Brown. You guys could have pretty easily convinced me he was a first round WR.

That's not even close lol

I've watched Reed since I watched quite a bit of Jalen Nailor. Reed is nowhere near Brown/Diggs/Jennings. He's more Harry Douglas with a little more upside.

Bookmark this post. Jayden Reed will never come close to Brown/Diggs/Jennings

Where did it state will become those players?

"skillset and history in line with Greg Jennings and Antonio Brown"

NFL.com’s Daniel Jeremiah in a conference call: Reed is a really good player. My buddy (Senior Bowl executive director) Jim Nagy is making it his personal campaign to make sure that he does not get overlooked through this process. Jim has seen a lot of him, and he is a big fan. He is a good player. I put him in the third=round range. The punt return, kick return background shows up. He is quick. He can make people miss. He gets separation. He is really tough. He is an outstanding blocker. He is a really good player. Jim has been advocating for him to go in the second round. I wouldn’t be shocked if he did.

This is the quote that gives me the most hope.  Nagy and Jeremiah are two guys I respect when it comes to draft takes.

• Like 1

Just watched some tape on this guy.  Shifty little sucker.  He's really not that small.  Take a look at the guys drafted in the 1st round.  I'd take this kid over any of them.  He's got the movement skills and some wiggle.  Remember when Moore was drafted.  Really liked the way that kid moved as well.  Hopefully unlike Moore this kid will be able to catch the ball.  Never know how these guys are going to work out but our track record for drafting WR's in the 2nd round is pretty damn good.  Figured Gute has a plan.  Got his guy and a couple of picks to boot.  Nice.  Pretty excited to see this kid play. 

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Where did it state will become those players?

"skillset and history in line with Greg Jennings and Antonio Brown"

This reminds me of the one Madden where literally every WR prospect is either compared to Randy Moss or Terrell Owens, and every QB is comparable to Tom Brady or Peyton Manning lol

Look, its good that you guys are excited about him, but the comparison is just way off. Not everybody can be a perrenial pro bowl/HOF WR. I like Reed but he's just not that great.