Jets QB Aaron Rodgers tears Achilles; Out for season

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

Attitude wise, Wilson is definitely more mature. I think he was humbled from last season. It's about limiting bad plays, playing within the offense, and keeping to the fundamentals. The Jets roster is very good around him. They were 5-2 last season before injuries started piling up. Breece Hall is a dynamic talent at RB. He needs to feed Garrett Wilson who is a special talent at WR. The defense will keep them in games. 

I agree, at least from what I've seen.  I thought their plan was going to be to kind of "save" Hall in the early portion of the season, and lean more on Cook, so Hall was fresh for the late season push, but his play coupled with the Rodgers injury might not allow them that luxury.  He looked explosive as hell week 1.  

I don't know if you have already posted about it, so sorry if you have, but what is your thoughts on what they will do/what you think they should do, as far as bringing in another qb this year?

Edited by OkeyDoke21

The thing I'm interested in is how the "is Rodgers going to come back for 2024" is going to affect front office and coaching staff decisions   Like one of the reasons the Jets really wanted to trade for a real quarterback is that the records of Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh suggest the two of them should be on the hot seat.  If the Jets go 7-10 this season, you could make a case for one or both of them getting fired.

But the Jets, for salary cap as well as personnel reasons, do not want Rodgers to retire.  But are you willing to retain Hackett and Saleh to do it?  These sorts of decisions are nested, since a new GM might want a new coach, and a new coach might want a new OC, and the Jets probably shouldn't employ Randall Cobb next year anyway.

21 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

I like that he already had in surgery. Because it really votes well for him to be Completely healthy by training camp next year. At least I assume that is the hope. And that is why he did the surgery so early.

I previously felt that he would retire. But I think this suggests very strongly that that is not an option.

It'll make me sound like a homer, but I don't think you can understate how rejuvenated he looked - a complete 180 from how he's been portrayed over the last few years. 

I think he's still riding that high and has every intention of coming back, but the real test will be a few months from now when he's more removed from the honeymoon phase and staring down a grueling rehab process.

• Like 3

Awful. The Jets are a tough team, though. They're not contenders anymore unless Wilson sees the light, which doesn't seem likely at all. I can see them being a WC team, though. They'll be able to stunt offenses enough to win games with their elite rushing attack. ZW just needs to be a game manager, and they can get into a playoff spot. Anything can happen from there. 

On 9/13/2023 at 7:22 PM, PossibleCabbage said:

The thing I'm interested in is how the "is Rodgers going to come back for 2024" is going to affect front office and coaching staff decisions   Like one of the reasons the Jets really wanted to trade for a real quarterback is that the records of Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh suggest the two of them should be on the hot seat.  If the Jets go 7-10 this season, you could make a case for one or both of them getting fired.

But the Jets, for salary cap as well as personnel reasons, do not want Rodgers to retire.  But are you willing to retain Hackett and Saleh to do it?  These sorts of decisions are nested, since a new GM might want a new coach, and a new coach might want a new OC, and the Jets probably shouldn't employ Randall Cobb next year anyway.

The real twisting thought for me is, what happens if Rodgers and the Jets do a good job at developing ZW this year? 

All reports to this point have been that he has really taken to Rodgers tutaledge. Say he actually develops into something. Leads them into the playoffs and looks fairly good. Say, top half of the league in completion percentage, yds, tds and cuts down on turnovers. What do the jets and Rodgers do next year? 

Is it still Rodgers team? Do they pick up Zach's option and have him back up another year? Do they try and trade one of them?

2 hours ago, VigilantZombie said:

I like that he already had in surgery. Because it really votes well for him to be Completely healthy by training camp next year. At least I assume that is the hope. And that is why he did the surgery so early.

I previously felt that he would retire. But I think this suggests very strongly that that is not an option.

Rodgers isn't going to retire. He made his intentions that he is going to come back from this. He invested so much into the Jets, no way does a competitive person like him go out like that. 

The Doctor who performed his surgery had guys returning to football in 5 months. Rodgers should be throwing by spring. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drew39k said:

The real twisting thought for me is, what happens if Rodgers and the Jets do a good job at developing ZW this year? 

What a nice problem to have, but it's not happening. The highest expectation is that Wilson can be developed into a competent game manager. So far, he's a long ways off from that, but because this year's Jets defense is among the better ones, it could help.  He's incredibly inaccurate and that's due to mindset.  He 'still' twirls lkike a ballerina and then runs backwards towards his own goal line when facing a rush. 

4 hours ago, drew39k said:

All reports to this point have been that he has really taken to Rodgers tutaledge. Say he actually develops into something. Leads them into the playoffs and looks fairly good. Say, top half of the league in completion percentage, yds, tds and cuts down on turnovers. What do the jets and Rodgers do next year? 

Is it still Rodgers team? Do they pick up Zach's option and have him back up another year? Do they try and trade one of them?

I’d bet on a 40 year old Rodgers walking on one leg with a torn Achilles before I trust Zach Wilson

7 hours ago, VigilantZombie said:

I doubt the timing of the surgery influences whether Rodgers plays in 2024 or not.  Tendon tears (achilles, patellar, quad tendon etc) there is a time sensitivity in doing the surgery.  the longer you wait, the harder it gets to do the surgery and the outcomes become less good.  

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I doubt the timing of the surgery influences whether Rodgers plays in 2024 or not.  Tendon tears (achilles, patellar, quad tendon etc) there is a time sensitivity in doing the surgery.  the longer you wait, the harder it gets to do the surgery and the outcomes become less good.  

I agree with all of that for the most part. However, hypothetically if he were of the mindset that retirement was a real possibility, he may (or may not idk) have waited longer on the surgery.

I think this shows doubters, he is very serious when he says he isn't done yet. (no I don't think he approached this to silence doubters, I don't think he gives a damn about that)

25 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Rodgers is very, very concerned with silencing doubters.

The key words Jets fans should want to hear from Rodgers:

"tried to do too much"

"Will play within offense"

"Refocused on my next role"

"Pocket passer"

"Take what the defense gives me"

Etc etc

Unless that mindset changes, he won't find success again