Coach of the year

Steelersfan43

50 minutes ago, Forge said:

Would be fun to award it based on a three year cycle. 

2023 coach of the year based on performance from 21/22/23 lol 

Lol I'm here for it. Looking at Nagy specifically, the Bears were surprisingly good that year, but objectively worse than the Rams/Saints/Chiefs/Patriots - I'd have given it to Payton or Reid that year. I don't feel like doing it right now but I may go back 20 years and call out who I think should have won it each year.

4 hours ago, Forge said:

He was only the AP coach of the year (the award that is colloquially referred to as the coach of the year) once, in 2002. There are other coach of the year awards that are given out by other publications, but the AP is the one that everyone is typically talking about it. 

Jim Haslett (another beacon of mediocrity winning the award) won the ap coach of the year in 2000. Andy Reid finished second. 

How much of those guys not winning it multiple times do you think is because they have typically really good rosters that are expected to win? 

Younger/newer coaches typically win it because they usually inherit a bad team that they turn into a good team. Once they have a good team it's easier to maintain good play and harder to perform above expectations.

The award is about performing above expectations IMO When your expected to win 12 games a year because a coach has solidified themselves and they have Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes or Big Ben--its not really huge news when you end up winning 12 games. Your just doing what your projected/expected.

Teams that go from 4 wins to 10 wins is simply easier to go 'hey that was really good!' 

Or when a team has wins with 4 different QBs while having the highest % of payroll on IR in the NFL while maintaining the best win percentage against teams above .500 in the NFL-- it's easy to say thats a helluva coaching job. However it's likely to go to Sark or Ryan's because history says, the biggest performance above expectation wins and they each would deserve it

Edited by AkronsWitness

6 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

From that perspective and blending the "best" performance with expectations - I think it should be Harbaugh. I don't think many people had Baltimore being this good - they've obliterated the Browns, Lions, Seahawks and 49ers - four playoff teams. They also handily beat the Texans and Jags, likely another playoff team, and beat the Rams - another possible playoff team. Not to mention the Bengals twice.

And they've rarely even TRAILED this season.

They clearly have a top 2 or 3 roster - but even with that, this is beyond the pale here. Not sure that I've ever seen a dominant performance against that many good teams.

Overall good point, but the one game where they obliterated the Browns is when Cleveland was starting a mid-round rookie making his first career start with a few hours notice. The other game the Browns won with Watson playing with a f'd up shoulder that required season-ending surgery.

Hard to go past the Browns head coach. Down to QB 4 all of which won games, all of which had a 4th quarter comeback win.

also on IR Starting RB who is top 3 in the NFL, both starting OT’s and a back up OT, PR/KR, Both Starting safeties have missed significant time, starting CB has missed time, LB’s have been in and out with injuries, as have members of the DL with Myles Garrett playing with one shoulder the last few weeks.

The coaching job by the whole staff has been great

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

I'm guessing if Detroit wins in Dallas this weekend it goes to Campbell, if they lost I'd guess Stefanski gets it.

That game should have Zero barring on the outcome. It's the HC who is literally winning with a QB that was sitting on the coach 4 weeks ago.

Lions are relatively healthy, were expected to be good based off last year's finish not on thier 4th starting  QB.

Unless the Browns lose 2 straight, it's Stefanski award to lose.🍺

11 hours ago, Duluther said:

... a very sizeable portion of the Browns' fanbase wante him fired during the season.

Your telling me, I was in the Browns subforum lookin like John Snow after each Browns loss defending Stefanskis honor. It wasnt until he started winning with all of these injuries for the majority of them to come around (finally)

ezgif-3-d9eb575083.gif

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Your telling me, I was in the Browns subforum lookin like John Snow after each Browns loss defending Stefanskis honor. It wasnt until he started winning with all of these injuries for the majority of them to come around (finally)

ezgif-4-ef495210d4.gif

I was fed to the dogs at the end of this battle

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malfatron said:

Id still give it to Campbell.

First div winner in 31 years or so for the lions

Agreed but how much of it is due to a weak division? Vikings would have been neck and neck had cousins not gone down. Bears are rebuilding and the packers suck.. Still impressive, I think his chances drastically go up if they win out. Beating the cowgirls would be impressive on the road.. 

5 hours ago, El Ramster said:

Agreed but how much of it is due to a weak division? Vikings would have been neck and neck had cousins not gone down. Bears are rebuilding and the packers suck.. Still impressive, I think his chances drastically go up if they win out. Beating the cowgirls would be impressive on the road.. 

It would certainly help his case tbh..and recency bias I think matters a little bit here so going out on a high note as one of the last things voters remember would be good for the Lions

• Like 1