BDL Discussion Thread 2024

2 hours ago, Blue said:

Unless you know something I don’t, Paul isn’t competing at right tackle. He’s the backup behind Armstead at left tackle.

He's a mountain of a man who I saw as a RT and Austin Jackson is average at best.  Again these are year one grades not where I think he'll be when Armstead retires

1 hour ago, bcb1213 said:

He's a mountain of a man who I saw as a RT and Austin Jackson is average at best.  Again these are year one grades not where I think he'll be when Armstead retires

I don't really see the RT projection at all, but I think Armstead retiring is not when Paul is going to get his first action on the left side.

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

I don't really see the RT projection at all, but I think Armstead retiring is not when Paul is going to get his first action on the left side.

I mean, either way you can claim he's a blindside protector.  Win-win

• Like 1

I won't even disagree about the grade but Mike Williams has nothing to do with Corley, Corley is purely a slot guy. Otherwise I completely agree with everything you said. Very happy with my landing spots.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, rackcs said:

I won't even disagree about the grade but Mike Williams has nothing to do with Corley, Corley is purely a slot guy. Otherwise I completely agree with everything you said. Very happy with my landing spots.

I don't know what his position has to do with the amount of targets, like I said.  He'll see way more targets with "enter random bonernose  here" playing outside than with Mike Williams there

Posted (edited)

So question: if I were to 3 Up Zaire Franklin, he currently has one year left on his previous contract and just signed a 3 year extension that kicks in next season. How do I calculate his 3 Up number? If we just base it off his extension, that's one less year than he's actually signed for IRL, and I don't recall how we've handled this in the past.

Edited by Blue

12 minutes ago, Blue said:

So question: if I were to 3 Up Zaire Franklin, he currently has one year left on his previous contract and just signed a 3 year extension that kicks in next season. How do I calculate his 3 Up number? If we just base it off his extension, that's one less year than he's actually signed for IRL, and I don't recall how we've handled this in the past.

I believe it would work the same as a 5th year option 3 up.

Combine this year with the 3 year extension and take the average of the 4 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

I believe it would work the same as a 5th year option 3 up.

Combine this year with the 3 year extension and take the average of the 4 years.

Yeah in this situation that would be the case. His previous avg Salary for 2024 was $3,333,333 so add that to the new extension to get the total.

• Like 1

Now that im back on dry land and the draft is over. Here is my full draft breakdown 

Player Name: Marvin Harrison Jr

Position: WR

Big Board Ranking: 1

BDL Pick: 2

NFL Pick: 4 Arizona Cardinals 

+\-  -2

Pick Rational: At first there was a lot of internal debate of whether I’d take Maye or Marvin Harrison, but then I asked myself “If I had to bet on one player in this draft to be a hall of famer, who would I bet on?” The answer made my pick an easy decision after that

Landing Spot Analysis: The Cardinals were the expected landing spot for him and am glad that is where he landed. Massive need and a capable QB ensures that he will be likely the focal point of the Cardinals offense and be the #1 WR the Firebirds desperately need. 

Player Name: Taleise Fuaga

Position: OT

Big Board Ranking: 10

BDL Pick: 18

NFL Pick: 14 New Orleans Saints 

+\-  +4

Pick Rational: RT was a revolving door for me last year, so solving that was a high priority this offseason. Fuaga is just a nasty road grader in the run game and has more than sufficient movement skills in pass pro. He should fit nice and snugly in my starting lineup from day 1.

Landing Spot Analysis: The Saints have massive offensive line needs. I watched some of the Saints media availability about the pick and the first thing out of Dennis Allen’s mouth was “He’s a tackle and he’s going to play tackle for us” So that squashes all that silly guard talk to start. With Ryan Ram’s health, I think Fuaga will settle in as the Saints RT eventually no matter where he begins. 

Player Name: Nate Wiggins 

Position: CB

Big Board Ranking: 16

BDL Pick: 25

NFL Pick: 30 Baltimore Ravens

+\-  -5

Pick Rational: It was my goal to come out of my next 2 picks after Marv with a starting RT and a starting outside CB. With the extra 4ths, I decided a few weeks before the draft I was going to get aggressive to move up from 3.11 to get two guys that I really coveted. Wiggins moves different and covers so well. While his weight is a concern, the ability to mirror and stick with WR’s is why he was so high for me. 

Landing Spot Analysis: I love the landing spot with the Ravens. The Ravens are an excellent t drafting team and to know they identified Wiggins and valued him as CB 3, is a great boost of confidence. The depth chart also has a really great opportunity to come in right away and be a starter or earn a good amount of playing time. 

Player Name: Michael Penix Jr. 

Position: QB

Big Board Ranking: 33

BDL Pick: 55

NFL Pick: 8 Atlanta Falcons 

+\-   +47

Pick Rational: After making the choice to forego QB for Marv at 2. I really did a lot of research on that “second tier of QB” that I thought might fall to the 4th. I locked in on Penix. I felt that his pure throwing ability was what I wanted to gamble on. Moving players and later picks at the deadline to get more 4th round picks to take swings at upside QB with lower investments like Penix and Fields was what I wanted to do to add to the Raleigh QB room this offseason. I refused to move my highest 4th because that is where I thought Penix would go in BDL. 

Landing Spot Analysis: this is where things get wild. The fact that he got top 8 draft capital is way beyond what I thought. That investment means he will get that opportunity to be a starter. But dynamic with Cousins and that contract puts that huge cloud of how patient I will have to be to see if this pick pays off. 

Player Name: Roman Wilson 

Big Board Ranking: 40

BDL Pick: 64

NFL Pick: 84

+\-  -20

Pick Rational: As I stacked my big board, I knew that I’d be coming out of the draft with at least 2 WR’s. There was just going to be too much value. After trading back to get an additional 7th, I was happy to flip my PFA2 to get the player I targeted which was Wilson. I love his speed and route running as a potential slot WR and a compliment to my 2 outside WR’s in Marv and Sutton. 

Landing Spot Analysis: After being disappointed in him falling to the 3rd, it was so exciting to see the landing spot in Pittsburgh. He is easily the 2nd most talented WR on the roster and if there is one thing the Steelers do well, it’s hit on day 2 WRs. Dream landing spot. 

Player Name: Ja’Lynn Polk

Big Board Ranking: 57

BDL Pick: 103

NFL Pick: 37 New England Patriots

+\-  +66

Pick Rational: My 1st 5 picks, I pretty much got who I targeted. This was the 1st pick not exactly in the plan. But I stacked my board and Polk was by far the highest graded player, so I made the pick. I love his hands and ability to make the tough catch. This shotgun approach at the WR position in a deep WR draft feels like it should pay off. 

Landing Spot Analysis: Polk going at 37 was on the high end of his range and landing in New England with a thirst for a #1 WR means he should be a player I can get into my lineups right away

Player Name: Mason McCormick 

Position: IOL

Big Board Ranking: 64

BDL Pick: 107

NFL Pick: 119 Pittsburgh Steelers

+\-  -12

Pick Rational: I really like how athletic McCormick is and I think he had nice upside with G/C flexibility. I knew I was probably higher on him than most. So he was a target of mine with my last pick in the draft. 

Landing Spot Analysis: He went right round the range where I picked him and two older guards in front of him, could give him a path to starting next year. 

Player Name: Andru Phillips

Position: CB

Big Board Ranking: 133

BDL Pick: 114

NFL Pick: 70 

+\-  +44

Pick Rational: The buzz on Phillips grew pretty significantly between the BDL and the real draft. I had targeted him as someone to see what the draft capital and landing spot said to make him my target at the top of PFA. Once he went early 3rd he was my #1 to go and get. Love his inside and outside versatility 

Landing Spot Analysis: The Giants have absolutely nothing at CB, so I fully expect Phillips to be a starter right from the jump. Pretty clutch get in PFA. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

@RedGold @Scoundrel @Ragnarok @MD4L @TL-TwoWinsAway @Blue @MWil23 @Pickle Rick @PR @InjuredReserve @RuskieTitan @rackcs @MikeT14 @WFLukic @EaglesPeteC @bcb1213 @SirA1

17 days before FA starts. Time for the Free Agency previews! I will try to do 1 day = 1 team until the Free Agency kickoff

Akureyri Huldufolk

Offseason needs : QB, EDGE (x2), CB, WR, S

Cap space remaining: $55,786

Roster spots remaining: 6-8

What they did so far:

1.    Get a franchise QB

Let’s not fool ourselves, Akekeyrui biggest move this offseason was to trade for Jordan Love. Let’s disregard the cost of the acquisition for a minute and we can all agree that they upgraded their QB room drastically with this move. Last year made clear that you could win a title with a tier 2 QB, and they acquired one here to not depend on A-Rich panning out, one on a team-friendly deal too.

2.    Find someone opposite of McDuffie

Ajueheji cornerback room has a lot of youth but they didn’t have a quality starter opposite of McDuffie, in this Frenchman opinion. With the cap to afford such a move, RedGold acquired Jaire at a minimal cost to get that starting CB2. Whether Jaire can stay healthy for a full season remains to be seen, but it should at least get Akejuri some time for their youngsters to develop.

3.    Bring competition at WR

Akureyri receiving room had talent but not a true #1 they can depend on. Pickens is a headache off the field but probably their most reliable receiver. To compete with Dell, Bateman, Dotson or Rondale Moore, RG added Adonai Mitchell and Troy Franklin in the draft. Out of all those, hopefully they can get a player to emerge opposite of Pickens week in and week out

4.    Reshuffle their OL

What I disliked the most out of Akukuki offseason is probably what they did in the OL. They traded assets to get Taylor Decker only to 3down Ronnie Stanley who, for me, is the better player. Sure the savings are nice, but with 55K of cap and 6 roster spots left, were there necessary? In a similar vein, I’d have kept Teller once they acquired him. I like what they did at C adding Frazier to the mix, but I they were, at one point or another of the offseason, stronger at T and G. 

What remains to be done:

1.    Sign an EDGE

The Huldufolk needed two edge players to start with. They got one in Alex Highsmith but I’d feel more comfortable if I was RedGold in Dayo Odeyingbo as the EDGE 3 to come off the edge. With Omenihu out for the foreseeable future, I think Ajkdejdi needs a starter to hold the fort, even though it might not be the highest priced one.

FA fit: Carl Granderson 

2.    Bring a starting safety

This is probably their biggest need but it’s pushed back by positional value. Bengals signed Geno Stone instead of trusting Dax Hill/Jordan Battle. Kerby Joseph and Bryan Cook are probably the starters there, and they are penciled as day 1 starters in their respective NFL franchises, but they can be improved upon. With very little roster spots left and 55K of cap left, RedGold can actually afford to be aggressive to pursue the best safeties available in this FA period

FA fit: Xavier McKinney 

3.    Add competition at LB

You can leave with Markquese Bell and Damone Clark as a starting duo and Al-Shaair and Cedric Gray both competing for a spot in Tennessee offers automatic depth at the position. But I honestly wouldn’t mind adding one additional LB, maybe in Shark Tank, to compete here

FA fit: CJ Mosley (in Shark Tank)

Final assessment:

With the roster filled up by those 5th round picks accumulated over the years, the Huldufolk (nickname > city btw) are a little roster space strapped. Which is a shame because, to contend, I still think they need a couple of pieces on defense. Getting a safety and at least a rotational edge is paramount for me, but honestly a more confirmed LB, a CB or even a vet bench INT could also be on the cards. One card RedGold holds is his TE depth - a time might come when someone like Freiermuth might get traded for a defensive player of a similar caliber.

Next up: the Anchorage Aliens

• Like 12

Good recap @TedLavie.   That was a good read.     

Only minor quip I’d have is;  Al-Shaair got quite the deal in Houston.  He was the main guy I wanted in the Decker deal tbh,  but even moreso now that he’s paired back with Singletary.    He’s a starter for me,  only question if I can trust him at Mike.  Or can I bring someone to let him roam a bit. 

• Like 1