Is JJ McCarthy NFL-caliber?

24 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

It's important to note that beat reporters are the biggest marks in the history of marks. Also, based on him claiming this info is from a "direct source," is he saying that an NFC GM, or someone close to decisionmaking, told him that McCarthy is their QB 2? Why would a GM do that? (A GM would only do that to lie).

Are you saying I can't believe what the talking heads reporters are saying before the draft?

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cpjbub90tt5oba89r

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Are you saying I can't believe what the talking heads reporters are saying before the draft?

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cpjbub90tt5oba89r

Unless it's from Schefter, Rapoport, or any of the sideline reporters. I don't make the rules. Beat reports are basically team employees who are desperate for national attention.

17 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I just don't see a team telling a random beat writer their draft plans unless they want to manipulate a player's perceived value.

That's obviously why.

4 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

In this case, they might as well lie.

Why waste your time lying if you can tell the truth?

49 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

It's important to note that beat reporters are the biggest marks in the history of marks. Also, based on him claiming this info is from a "direct source," is he saying that an NFC GM, or someone close to decisionmaking, told him that McCarthy is their QB 2? Why would a GM do that? (A GM would only do that to lie).

Not just coming from him, there's a lot of smoke around which suggests the league really likes McCarthy and it's the sort of news which would filter out to beat writers from off-season gatherings like the Senior Bowl etc. 

4 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I could see a reason that an NFL team would have McCarthy ahead of Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, and Michael Penix.  It's not a good reason, mind you, but given the demographics of NFL owners it shouldn't be surprising.

Bruce Young went first overall and there were scouts that didn’t have him with a 1st rd grade.  Anything is possible when owners get involved.

On 2/15/2024 at 8:51 AM, Rich7sena said:

NFL teams will put information out there to see what leaks sometiems too.

On 2/12/2024 at 3:11 PM, Tugboat said:

It's all relative to playing style.

Where Richardson and Daniels are guys who don't do enough to protect themselves with their respective frames.

I don't see McCarthy's frame being anything like the same kind of liability, since...as you astutely pointed out, i don't think that using his legs is going to be nearly as much a component of his game at the next level as those other two.  And even where it is a component, he shows a lot more aptitude for "protecting himself".  Playing their game in a way that mechanically exposes them a lot more than others, to really vicious hits.

It's like...Josh Allen is also involved in a lot of really violent collisions, but he does it in a way that doesn't feel like his frame is nearly the same sort of liability.  Same for Cam Newton even, who ran a ton and took a ton of hits...but he was much better at being the aggressor/initiator and just in the way the latter two are built within that Height/Weight listing...they're clearly built like Tanks, very differently than Richardson, and Daniels is in a world of hurt there.

Cam Newton and Josh Allen are not good examples of how to handle playing style. Cam Newton was cooked physically by 30, and it is highly likely Josh will be following a similar path based on hits taken.

On 2/15/2024 at 8:51 AM, Rich7sena said:

Teams put out information they want out there.  Both true and untrue.  If I had to guess, I’d imagine it’s a team in the NFC that likely already has their QB in place (think PHI, GB, SF, DAL, etc.).  Personally, I’m not that high on McCarthy, but I can certainly see why teams would value him highly.  There’s a LOT less projection about how he’s going to transition to a pro-style offense.