What do you do if you're the Chicago Bears?

DigInBoys

16 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

I don't know... If they have any faith in Fields whatsoever this deal would be really tough. It would be a ton of money... but you'd be stacking the WR corps and you'd be adding a top 5 EDGE to pair with Sweat. All of that and you get a 1,2,3 next year? I like that part a lot.

The only thing that really makes me hesitate is the rookie contracts vs. vet. This trade would stop the Bears from signing anyone else major and they have the room to sign someone big, like a Danielle Hunter. So just for fun;

Caleb + Nabers (value placeholder) + Danielle Hunter (value placeholder) for Maxx Crosby, Davante Adams, 1,2,3 in '25.

It's pretty close. I don't know where I'd go with it. I'm not huge on any of the QBs in this cycle and I think teams can win games with Fields, even though he's really limited. He's definitely not good enough to win in the playoffs right now though.

Honestly Davante having $40 mil in dad cap and Crosby having $34 mil in dead cap for LVR would definitely make this more appealing for me as a Bears fan. They would both be free for 2024. I'd still trade Fields then try to either trade up for another QB (likely using the 2nd or so for him plus LVR's future assets).  

Being completely honest, I might give Cousins a look and see about what it would take to get him throwing to Adams and Moore if this happened early enough. Likely wouldn't be able to make it work for the next several years and would cost the Bears the ability to afford Johnson though. 

• Like 1

If the Bears do anything but take their favorite QB in this draft(very likely Caleb) they are doomed to be an irrelevant organization for another 5+ years. You don't get opportunities like this often. If they keep Fields and load up they will be stuck being a mid tier team with a limited QB who they will either have to pay or draft a QB in a worse draft while giving up more capital.

Fields got his year. He failed. Move on.

• Like 3

Pretty straightforward.  When you're gifted the opportunity to draft a potential franchise QB and you don't currently have one...you pull the trigger.  So...

-Draft whichever of Williams/Maye you like best.

-Swindle someone like Vegas/Atlanta/Pittsburgh out of some picks for Fields.

-Draft some more offensive help at OT or WR with that second 1st round pick.

-Continue stacking more talent up with all those picks including some bonus talent with whatever you get for Fields.

Anything else, and especially turning down a shot at your pick of the top QB in the draft to run it back with Fields again, despite proving several times over that he's not "The Guy", would just be a deeply unserious way to run a franchise.  You don't goof around and try to get cute with the QB pick.  You don't commit to a QB who has had multiple opportunities and completely failed to establish himself as good enough, especially when he doesn't really seem to be improving on the fatal flaws in his game.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 3:30 PM, VonKarman said:

To whoever gives you the highest pick. If that means a third, so be it. But I'm a Packers fan, so I'm rooting for chaos.

Yes, but I can't think of any team out there who will give Chicago a lot for this guy.

Trade the pick to Washington. Id get a kings ransom. If Caleb Williams dont want to be in Chicago then dont but if I was Chicago I wouldnt give him away. Id also keep Fields. The Bears need to put the right pieces around him to make sure he gets a great evaluation. The right OC, go draft MHJ the WR to pair with Moore. Heck go get McClaurin from Washington too. So now Fields have three great receivers plus Kmet the tight end. Then go get an OL. This is the perfect draft for OL prospects so if a team want to build a nice OL this is the draft to do it. Then go in FA and get a back. Jacobs would be top on the list. 

So yeah build around Fields, get a kings ransom from Washington if they really want Caleb. Seems like Caleb wouldnt mind going there bc of Kingsbury. And then just be patient and see. If Fields doesnt look good then you move on from him and next year draft Sanders whom I think will be good.

On 2/5/2024 at 2:30 PM, VonKarman said:

To whoever gives you the highest pick. If that means a third, so be it. But I'm a Packers fan, so I'm rooting for chaos.

I respect that actually, I constantly root for underdogs and chaos when I'm not invested to either team. lol

5 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Trade the pick to Washington. Id get a kings ransom. If Caleb Williams dont want to be in Chicago then dont but if I was Chicago I wouldnt give him away. Id also keep Fields. The Bears need to put the right pieces around him to make sure he gets a great evaluation. The right OC, go draft MHJ the WR to pair with Moore. Heck go get McClaurin from Washington too. So now Fields have three great receivers plus Kmet the tight end. Then go get an OL. This is the perfect draft for OL prospects so if a team want to build a nice OL this is the draft to do it. Then go in FA and get a back. Jacobs would be top on the list. 

So yeah build around Fields, get a kings ransom from Washington if they really want Caleb. Seems like Caleb wouldnt mind going there bc of Kingsbury. And then just be patient and see. If Fields doesnt look good then you move on from him and next year draft Sanders whom I think will be good.

Caleb's camp has come out and said this is not true. 

On 2/6/2024 at 2:42 PM, Pugger said:

Yes, but I can't think of any team out there who will give Chicago a lot for this guy.

Guessing we will find out sometime this spring.  

I am hoping for at least a 2nd.  Anything better than that will be pleasing.  Could be a 3rd. 

I would be surprised by anything lower.

Market will be what it will be.