Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Chili said:

Black is a strange one for me.

Good enough to start games and heavily involved in sub packages & ST and yet at the same time not good enough for us to tender him and keep as a useful backup.

Maybe he simply played because he knew his assignments, just wasn't very good at carrying them out. Better than playing someone who have no idea what they're doing i suppose but that doesn't give me alot of confidence in our depth guys.

Black might be, to steal a baseball term, a AAAA player.  He is going to make your team.  He will have a couple of short spells of good play.  But the overall product is going to be around replacement level.  I challenge anyone to watch last preseason and tell me there was a better defensive back on the field than Henry Black.  But live rounds start, and he is mostly just there.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Jason B. Hirschhorn -  New Packers outside-linebackers coach Jason Rebrovich likes to slap the podium. He also uses coach-y phrases like "a hot iron to your ***."

The exact quote from Packers outside-linebackers coach Jason Rebrovich:

"You better be able to shine. People are going to put that hot iron to your rear end. You're either just going to let it burn or you're going to take off."

Not many people are, but I watched his interview and he’s no Mike Smith. Coach Smith had that look that could stare down a freight train but you could tell he truly cared about his players. 

Rebrovich has crossover experience for OLB and DL coaching and mentioned he’s working with Montgomery to better coordinate the front. There is talent there so I’m hoping for real results. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Refugee said:

Not many people are, but I watched his interview ...

Rebrovich has crossover experience for OLB and DL coaching and mentioned he’s working with Montgomery to better coordinate the front. There is talent there so I’m hoping for real results. 

I listened to his interview too.  Seems like a nice, positive, coach-y guy.  

What stuck with me from the latest presser was his comments on Kingsley, he made a couple of references to him being "smart" and "cerebral", being quick in the classroom and then also quickly able to retain and apply it in practice.  

That's encouraging.  I think being football-cerebral is not well represented by the combine or by Wonderlic.  But I'm hopeful that the reason Kingsley outperformed-in-college his RAS may have been that he was smart and had fast decision-making aptitude in college?  And that the same will carry over into the pros?  Brains and quick-read of offenses and o-linemen with quick decision-making responses can cover up for a lot of lousy 40-yard-dash.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, craig said:

What stuck with me from the latest presser was his comments on Kingsley, he made a couple of references to him being "smart" and "cerebral", being quick in the classroom and then also quickly able to retain and apply it in practice.  

Reading this I was thinking "This is a strange take on a player already off the Packers roster". Then it struck me that is was referring to Kingsley Enagbare, not Kingsley Keke.

When a gazillion players have rotated through the Packers over the decades I've been following them, sometimes you can get caught out.

• Like 2

Matt Schneidman -   Luke Butkus said he recruited Caleb Jones (6’9”/370 lb Packers UDFA rookie) out of high school when he coached at Illinois. Jones chose Indiana, and Butkus (joked?) that he’s still mad at him. Butkus said all is forgiven because he ate at Jones’ dad’s BBQ place in Indy.

7 minutes ago, Norm said:

I was hard on him but it definitely felt like a  confidence and comfort thing last year

Felt like a starting QB pulling rank and demanding his guy that fills the same role kind thing last year…

Hope LaFleur and the staff find ways to get him on the field regardless of Cobb.

Is there a narrative change here with Amari with this article or is it that the 'wasted pick', 'he's a bust', 'need to cut him' group hasn't had time to respond yet? Imagine that a rookie WR might struggle a little. Guessing this time next year that Watson, Doubs and Toure will all be labeled busts after one season.     

30 minutes ago, R T said:

Is there a narrative change here with Amari with this article or is it that the 'wasted pick', 'he's a bust', 'need to cut him' group hasn't had time to respond yet? Imagine that a rookie WR might struggle a little. Guessing this time next year that Watson, Doubs and Toure will all be labeled busts after one season.     

I've legit been consistent in saying I liked the pick at the time but he showed little positive but it all felt like he was never comfortable. 

I'm a never say never guy regardless but he was one where I was like, c'mon do something. And it felt like been l he never once did. Never meant it was over already. 

• Like 1