Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

4 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

subjective. I think his content is great. 10/10 would rather listen to him then whatever nonsense they got going on on ESPN

I heard it was good, gave it a listen, and decided it was not. Mileage varies - FWIW I prefer Bill Barnwell and the NFL content from The Ringer as my go-to NFL podcasts. 

26 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Football Outsiders has a DVOA ranking for weeks 11-16- to show which teams are getting hot at the end of the season

Packers came in at # 3 on offense, # 32 on defense and # 29 on STs

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2018/week-16-dvoa-ratings

Well I mean look what bodies we are trotting out there defensively the past 3 weeks...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Football Outsiders has a DVOA ranking for weeks 11-16- to show which teams are getting hot at the end of the season

Packers came in at # 3 on offense, # 32 on defense and # 29 on STs

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2018/week-16-dvoa-ratings

I don't think even think DVOA is the end all, be all to stats like incog does but even more reason why our offense isn't the issue.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

My issue is that you're essentially using history to justify your argument.  At what point did you know those picks were going to be flops?  There's a reason why we didn't move on from Ted Thompson any earlier than we did.  The disastrous 2015 class had 3 years to show anything before the Packers moved on from Ted Thompson.  The 2014 draft was class was solid if unspectacular.  And the 2013 class was a solid class, and we'd be looking at that draft in a much different light if we hit on our first round pick.

Of course  I use history looking back, you did too.  How else are you going to judge the results of anything  without looking back? You said it takes 3 years to determine if a draft pick "hits", I said exactly the same thing.  I didn't determine any pick to be a flop.  If they weren't on the roster after that 3rd year, then they should be considered a flop.  Didn't mention 2013 draft and 2014 was indeed unspectacular ... no argument.   Ted has moved to his advisory role, hopefully Gute brings the Pack back and all will be good again. 

Scathing article about the Packers org and how they dealt with playing/not playing an already injured Rodgers the last two games of the season.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2813157-aaron-rodgers-concussion-is-rock-bottom-for-the-2018-green-bay-packers

Gute is a young GM, and Murphy, well, he’s damn good at real estate developments but up to this season, has literally had his hands completely off the wheel.  It’s now on these two gentlemen to right this ship (dumpster fire as the article puts it).  I hope to God they’re up to the job.

I dont keep track of PFF - but thought this an interesting thought.......

Fennell:

So @PFF has Packers OL w/the best pass blocking grade in 2018. In a year allowing 50+ sacks and led NFL in 3rd down sacks.
Saying their OL had the best pass blocking grade is the biggest indictment on QB play & scheme there could possibly be. Rodgers was beyond bad...

• Like 3

Just now, Leader said:

I dont keep track of PFF - but thought this an interesting thought.......

Fennell:

So @PFF has Packers OL w/the best pass blocking grade in 2018. In a year allowing 50+ sacks and led NFL in 3rd down sacks.
Saying their OL had the best pass blocking grade is the biggest indictment on QB play & scheme there could possibly be. Rodgers was beyond bad...

The one thing PFF can get right is OL and DL.  I stand by their ratings of OL and DL after really doing some soul-searching on PFF after Ray confronted me on using it for any other position.  It's crap for almost every single position other than DL and OL, but it is probably the best source for judging OL/DL other than watching. 

With that in mind, it's proof of everything I have been saying all season. 

Rodgers had a really bad year. 

Not saying he had people streaking open every single play or anything, but it's a different season if Rodgers plays more like Brees or Brady.  A completely different season.  We're probably in the playoffs right now if he'd done that, if he'd trusted his targets more, if he'd gotten rid of the ball faster, if he'd taken more chances instead of just throwing it away. 

He played a selfish season. 

It's the one reason why I wouldn't be livid if we hired McDaniels.  McDaniels might make everything crash and burn, but then again he might get Rodgers to open his eyes.