Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

5 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

I thought you were the guy who said we'd need to cut Rudolph, Griffen, and trade a CB to sign anyone but that was someone else. My bad. But still, who are you wanting them to sign? Saffold and James are going to get in the $14 million neighborhood I would think. Are you willing to pay that?

Rudolph, Griffen and trading a CB is needed to afford two big FA contracts. If you're limiting yourself to just bringing back Barr or Richardson (which is fine) the Vikes are looking for lower level signings. 

Im not advocating either way I just prefer not to hang onto veterans who are getting paid for what they did in the past or in the community.  Griffen and Rudolph are clearly done as high level starters.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Rudolph, Griffen and trading a CB is needed to afford two big FA contracts. If you're limiting yourself to just bringing back Barr or Richardson (which is fine) the Vikes are looking for lower level signings. 

Im not advocating either way I just prefer not to hang onto veterans who are getting paid for what they did in the past or in the community.  Griffen and Rudolph are clearly done as high level starters.

Right. And I don't disagree with making those moves, I just disagree with making those moves to grossly overpay an OL. But I can definitely see why others think the contrary.

I'd have no issue cutting both Griffen and Rudolph to let them test the market to see what kind of deals are out there provided they'd give us an opportunity to match. 

I think teams might be scared off by Griffen given his "issues" and Rudy is on the wrong side of the new athletic TE that teams want.

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I don't think you can necessarily confirm that Griffin is clearly done as a high-level starter.  I think you have to wait and see what'll happen this year first.  Despite all his issues last year, he still graded out as an above-average DE.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

I thought you were the guy who said we'd need to cut Rudolph, Griffen, and trade a CB to sign anyone but that was someone else. My bad. But still, who are you wanting them to sign? Saffold and James are going to get in the $14 million neighborhood I would think. Are you willing to pay that?

I've suggested variations, but not sure I've said all three (though I might have).....but if I'm trading Waynes or Rhodes, I want an actual starting NFL player in return, or a very high pick (which you aren't getting). Now that FA has "started", it's obvious that clearing cap space to sign a great/very good OL isn't happening here, again, so now that things have changed, I'm saying just Rudolph (if there is a good OL left, which I'm not sure, but then, the draft is also unsure, both in terms of who is there, and if they'll actually be good in the NFL).

This team needs 2-3 new OL, a LB, a DL and that's before doing anything with Rudolph or a DB (to be clear, I expect no trades of player off the roster). I'd rather they trade a player too soon, and draft well, than hold onto old, not great, highly paid, players.....You can say Compton can block a little, but the coaches don't seem to agree, given how much he plays.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I've suggested variations, but not sure I've said all three (though I might have).....but if I'm trading Waynes or Rhodes, I want an actual starting NFL player in return, or a very high pick (which you aren't getting). Now that FA has "started", it's obvious that clearing cap space to sign a great/very good OL isn't happening here, again, so now that things have changed, I'm saying just Rudolph (if there is a good OL left, which I'm not sure, but then, the draft is also unsure, both in terms of who is there, and if they'll actually be good in the NFL).

This team needs 2-3 new OL, a LB, a DL and that's before doing anything with Rudolph or a DB (to be clear, I expect no trades of player off the roster). I'd rather they trade a player too soon, and draft well, than hold onto old, not great, highly paid, players.....You can say Compton can block a little, but the coaches don't seem to agree, given how much he plays.

All good points. And I tend to agree, but I'm hesitant to cut Rudolph or Griffen if it's not necessary to sign someone else. They are underperforming compared to their contracts, but cutting them creates another hole. I like Weatherly, but we need 3 DE's. Also, Compton started every game he was healthy didn't he?

1 minute ago, dc_vikingfan said:

I move Waynes you can't keep everyone. While he's a improving and a good CB he's not a playmaker. Moving him to sign a OLinemen or gain a pick to help fill another need is worth it.

Rhodes isn't a playmaker either...and has "made" less plays than Waynes over the past few years.  Being a playmaker at CB is overrated.  They need DBs who can cover, which Waynes can do...and has gotten significantly better at every year.  

• Like 4