Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

This year brought about a lot more use of signing bonuses than usual, but this has been a method of managing the salary cap that teams have used for years. To try to put the numbers a little more into context I wanted to look at how leveraged teams are with the use of the signing bonus. To do that I looked at how much salary teams have on the books from 2022 to 2026 that is not prorated and compared it to the amount that is prorated. The reason for the 2026 timeframe is because that is the final year that any prorated money is currently on the books for.

Vikings $245,483,047 $81,369,172 24.9%
NFL Avg. $245,021,853 $81,146,051 25.0%

https://overthecap.com/how-teams-are-using-the-signing-bonus-to-manage-the-salary-cap/

The Vikings are as close to average as you can get. I don't know if that's brilliance in planning or just happenstance.  

I am not demanding his release "now", but I can 100% see Vikings potentially doing that either before or after the legal proceedings play out.

If Gladney was a fringe player, he would have been released yesterday.
If Gladney was an average player (with low draft capital to replace), he would have released yesterday/today.

Gladney is still on the team (at the moment) because we used a 1st round pick on him (and there is potential for solid-good play on a team friendly rookie deal).

We have seen organization sometimes use a higher bar (then solely just the criminal bar) to cut/release players that do things that violate team values/culture (in their opinion). They have this ability because of the type of contracts they sign, which is entirely different to new hires at McDonalds..... The organization also needs to think of team image and potential public relations for acts against woman, regardless if the case gets dropped.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I could see Gladney facing a year suspension. Regardless if we keep him or not, I don't see Gladney contributing in 2021.

I’d be shocked. There’s a conduct policy for a reason and the policy states 6 games for a first time offender. And even then it could be less. Tyreek Hill, Ezekiel Elliott, and a number of other players who’ve been charged with domestic violence have been given suspensions for fewer than 6 games, or none at all.  

18 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I could see Gladney facing a year suspension. Regardless if we keep him or not, I don't see Gladney contributing in 2021.

Commissioner's exempt list, a la Peterson can take all year. This is worse for the team than suspension since they still need to pay him. Fortunately, his rookie salary isn't too bad.

And then he has to deal with the unpaid suspension that would follow if there is a finding of culpability by the league.

That pales in comparison to what can happen if there is a finding of culpability criminally.

I don't think the team is going to cut Gladney, but I personally would be happy to see them make that statement.

• Like 1

I'm expecting Gladney not to play the season with the Vikings, if this is remotely true.

Heck, at best, he would have been splitting snaps will Mack Alexander, who i think Zimmer trust more on-field. So if Gladney is a 50% defensive player this year, in an all or none year for Zimmer, I can easily see a release coming, and just letting him join another team mid season

Edited by CriminalMind

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

If he, punched, choked, and pulled a woman along his vehicle by her hair, I hope it would  be longer than that and should include prison time.

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d be shocked. There’s a conduct policy for a reason and the policy states 6 games for a first time offender. And even then it could be less. Tyreek Hill, Ezekiel Elliott, and a number of other players who’ve been charged with domestic violence have been given suspensions for fewer than 6 games, or none at all.  

I'm no lawyer, but I believe there is a significant difference between simply assaulting someone and when you choke them. Cutting off their air supply can get you into some serious trouble with the law. As it should.

56 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I'm no lawyer, but I believe there is a significant difference between simply assaulting someone and when you choke them. Cutting off their air supply can get you into some serious trouble with the law. As it should.

That’s why he was charged with a felony instead of a misdemeanor, and if this goes fully through court, then yes, he could be facing some serious jail time. But the reality is that these types of cases rarely get that far. And once the court process has concluded, however that is, then the NFL’s recourse is to follow its own personal conduct policy, which states that a first time offense carries up to a 6 game suspension. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

That’s why he was charged with a felony instead of a misdemeanor, and if this goes fully through court, then yes, he could be facing some serious jail time. But the reality is that these types of cases rarely get that far. And once the court process has concluded, however that is, then the NFL’s recourse is to follow its own personal conduct policy, which states that a first time offense carries up to a 6 game suspension. 

Just wondering if the league can always just park him on Commissioner List should they see fit. 

27 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Just wondering if the league can always just park him on Commissioner List should they see fit. 

Yeah, they can park him their until the legal case concludes. As Mr. @SemperFeist mentioned though, that might not take too long if the victim won't talk or changes her story.

2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

True but Tyreek Hill chocked his pregnant girlfriend and he is obviously in the NFL, 3 time 1st team All Pro and 5 time Pro bowler.  Sure his girl had some issues as well but still he did do that and is in the league still.  Not saying it is good, but same with Frank Clark, dude did some bad crap but is still in the league and has been for awhile.  

Not to mention the entire Deshaun Watson situation which looks more and more like it is absolutely true which is awful for him and the NFL in general.  Dude is one of the brightest young stars in the league, will be interesting what happens with him.

Clearly the NFL has this issue and it is a massive issue, one does not hear this much about domestic violence cases in the NBA.  With the NFL it is a constant and does not seem to be changing or getting better with guys as examples above with still long successful careers regardless.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

True but Tyreek Hill chocked his pregnant girlfriend and he is obviously in the NFL, 3 time 1st team All Pro and 5 time Pro bowler.  Sure his girl had some issues as well but still he did do that and is in the league still.  Not saying it is good, but same with Frank Clark, dude did some bad crap but is still in the league and has been for awhile.  

Not to mention the entire Deshaun Watson situation which looks more and more like it is absolutely true which is awful for him and the NFL in general.  Dude is one of the brightest young stars in the league, will be interesting what happens with him.

Clearly the NFL has this issue and it is a massive issue, one does not hear this much about domestic violence cases in the NBA.  With the NFL it is a constant and does not seem to be changing or getting better with guys as examples above with still long successful careers regardless.  

I agree it's an awful look for the league.  I was wondering earlier if there's a component coming from all that testosterone combined with the concussion/repetitive subconcussive hits.