Sam Darnold

Aztec Hammer

Me before, during, and after the draft, presented by Toy Story:

giphy.gif

Before the draft, 100% certain that we're going to draft Sam Darnold.

no-itelligent-life-toy-story.gif?fit=500

Me, remembering how this organization has been run for a LONG time by seemingly everyone.

giphy.gif

Wondering if they'll take Darnold

Toy-Story-Woody.gif

Me, anticipating the #1 pick to be announced, when 10 minutes seems like forever.

tenor.gif?itemid=8386540

giphy.gif

Me after we pass on him.

giphy.gif

Us all talking ourselves into the soon to be future bust QB that we take in his place.

9 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Who is your 2nd favourite? 

I am Sam then Baker.

Yep, same here, then Rosen (though the injuries worry me...if he's such and intellectual, and his parents are rich, he could be one concussion away from an epiphany that he doesn't need football). Allen has great physical tools, and I was really impressed with his attitude during interviews, but that accuracy has Kizer 2.0 written all over it.

17 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

This whole post is stupid. You are not stupid. But this post is. Don't buy media BS. If you listen to the UCLA players talk about Rosen, you bet he would help them out if they needed it. And the "needs to know why" is just... dumb. Peyton Manning was the ultimate "why" QB. Pestered his OCs and QB coaches for more background info alllllll the time. 

I am not buying the whole media BS.....I do not know him personally....never met the guy...but I have been following him since his SR year of HS, and this is not first time the whole "Entitled, Diva, thinks he's the smartest man in the Room" type of problems have come up. They have been coming up since his college Recruitment.

I was also blessed to play football in HS and College, as well as being the son of a coach, I have some understanding and first hand experience with sideline and In-Game body language....now I could be TOTALLY WRONG, but putting all these pieces together, from his College Recruitment, to the incident between him and Mora (Called him what boils down to an "Entitled Diva".....details are a bit fuzzy at this point.... because this is an early part of the 4 years I been watching and tracking this kid) his freshman year, when he didn't get to start. Coupled with some of the low key stories of his attitude when handling rehab from Shoulder Surgery, to sometimes missing games when some analyst said he would be healthy enough to play, couple all that with what I've seen on the sidelines, and how he reacts when a WR runs a wrong rout, or the RB dropped a pass, or his Oline didnt give him what he felt like is enough time, those reactions rub me the wrong way......You Couple all these things I've seen with my own eyes over the past 4 years of following this kid, WITH the comments that his HC just made....and while you feel my post was stupid, I defend it as 4 years of watching (from a distance) and following this kid and the news about him pretty closely.

He rubs me as the same way/attitude problems/lack of leadership-fire-passion, that Kerry Collins did coming out of Penn St., The same way Jay Cutler did coming out of Vanderbilt, the way that Eli Manning did out of Ole Miss and the way Johhny Manziel did out of Texas A&M.

So I do feel bad, that you consider my post stupid....it was a short post...but I just wanted to provide the summary of my years of observation, but now you know the thought process behind it, so please don't dismiss my post, as you think I am "Listening to the Media".....

12 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

Baker

Datnold close second 

bit of a gap because of concussions for Rosen

then Lamar Jackson

then whoever the next 3 or 4 guys are.

then in round 5 Allen

I am similar except Darnold over Baker. 

I agree with the Rosen thing and there is now way I’d take Allen over     Lamar.

11 hours ago, mistakey said:

Just to let you know I used to be on the baker train but he also has a history of concussions 

now I’m on the baker Darnold Rosen train And if we get one of the three I’m stoked 

I won’t complain about any of those three

19 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

I won’t complain about any of those three

Agreed. Do I have a preference? Sure. Mayfield > Rosen >> Darnold imo. But all three could be the #1 pick in a bad QB year (I like all three more than Trubs, Mahomie, or Whatson last year) and all three have the potential to be top 6-8 QBs and also the possibility of busting (Darnold keeps turning it over and doesn't develop mentally, Baker has substance issues or his limited physical capability becomes an issue, Rosen goes out because of medical, etc.).

16 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Agreed. Do I have a preference? Sure. Mayfield > Rosen >> Darnold imo. But all three could be the #1 pick in a bad QB year (I like all three more than Trubs, Mahomie, or Whatson last year) and all three have the potential to be top 6-8 QBs and also the possibility of busting (Darnold keeps turning it over and doesn't develop mentally, Baker has substance issues or his limited physical capability becomes an issue, Rosen goes out because of medical, etc.).

I totally get your points here. You could make the case that, of all the QB prospects, Darnold is the safest pick. He's certainly not the most NFL ready, but you look at durability, natural talents (reading progressions, arm skills, mobility, pocket presence, etc), and potential for growth, it should not be out of the realm of possibility that he could very well end up becoming one of the all time greats.

Rosen's injury history, and Baker's - to a lesser extent, but when getting creamed by an NFL pass rush from time to time, it could easily recur - have to be taken into consideration.

There's no denying that both Mayfield and Rosen have their advantages over Darnold, but there's also no certainty that Sam cannot pass the others up in these categories, either. If there's anyone who could, it is Darnold.

Still, one question lingers, why in the hell does Allen still get taken at 1 in so many mocks? How are we in this forum so much more enlightened on the topic than so many members of the media? It's lunacy, IMO

1 hour ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

I totally get your points here. You could make the case that, of all the QB prospects, Darnold is the safest pick. He's certainly not the most NFL ready, but you look at durability, natural talents (reading progressions, arm skills, mobility, pocket presence, etc), and potential for growth, it should not be out of the realm of possibility that he could very well end up becoming one of the all time greats.

Rosen's injury history, and Baker's - to a lesser extent, but when getting creamed by an NFL pass rush from time to time, it could easily recur - have to be taken into consideration.

There's no denying that both Mayfield and Rosen have their advantages over Darnold, but there's also no certainty that Sam cannot pass the others up in these categories, either. If there's anyone who could, it is Darnold.

Still, one question lingers, why in the hell does Allen still get taken at 1 in so many mocks? How are we in this forum so much more enlightened on the topic than so many members of the media? It's lunacy, IMO

Imo with Allen all the media hype is because of his potential. The media thinks (whether correctly or not) that he translates well to the NFL and that the completion % will go up with NFL coaching (I guess they forgot who our HC is lol). Once again this is just my opinion and lord knows why Kiper thinks the way he does. I'm not a Kiper fan at all, he always says "oh this guy is better then that guy". If he was good at his job he'd be working for an NFL team, imo of course. 

3 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Still, one question lingers, why in the hell does Allen still get taken at 1 in so many mocks?

They are applying the Hueball factor?

3 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

It's lunacy, IMO

So is the Hueball factor.

3 hours ago, buckeyesNut0623 said:

Imo with Allen all the media hype is because of his potential. The media thinks (whether correctly or not) that he translates well to the NFL and that the completion % will go up with NFL coaching (I guess they forgot who our HC is lol). Once again this is just my opinion and lord knows why Kiper thinks the way he does. I'm not a Kiper fan at all, he always says "oh this guy is better then that guy". If he was good at his job he'd be working for an NFL team, imo of course. 

There is some possibility that he could become a great QB. But compared to the other day one and even day 2 QB's, those chances are slim to say the least. It's just insane how a rocket arm snowballs into this idea that he's the most talented QB in the draft. I blame the mainstream media for that one. Perhaps he's every front office's favorite smokescreen, and his name continues to be tossed around amongst the REAL top QB's in this class because of it.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

They are applying the Hueball factor?

So is the Hueball factor.

Nah dude, this is straight up insanity that cannot be summed up by words. At least you made up a word for that, but this Allen hype, there truly are no words...

19 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I agree with most of this.

Obviously my order is different, Darnold>Mayfield>>Rosen, but I agree all are worthy of being the top pick.

Definitely like all 3 more than the entire 2017 class too.

35 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

I still can’t believe ppl are still comparing Carson Wentz to Josh Allen. Seriously WTf

It's the same reason many have compared Mayfield to Johnny. It's a lazy comparison but because of some broad similarities, it's the go-to comp.

Wentz and Allen both made their names through programs that fly under the radar and have strong arms.

Baker and Johnny are both short and have fiery attitudes.

It's easy for these comparisons to come to mind, but you're right. If people actually do their homework, they'd see that the similarities stopped there.

There's nothing wrong with Josh Rosen's personality that will prevent him from reaching his ceiling.

I would take him after Sam and Baker because:

1. Concussions. It's scary to think his career could be over with the next concussion he gets. He's very good, but this scares me the most right now.

2. I don't think he really wants to play here despite what he said. I don't think most QB's would to be honest, but it seems like Darnold is embracing going #1 more than Josh is.

If you watch tape of the QB's and don't contextualize any of it with injury history/wanting to play for us, Rosen looks the best. Mechanically he's perfect. He's accurate as hell and his ball placement always allows for RAC yards. He's extremely refined and won't need a ton of professional coaching to get him up to speed. While Sam, Baker, and Allen will have to spend time working on mechanics, they will also have to spend time working on their understanding of NFL defenses. Rosen can focus all of his attention on learning the O playbook and studying defenses.

That being said, Darnold combines the most upside with the safest floor. Plus he's got a great attitude and doesn't have the injury concerns of Rosen, the size concerns of Baker, or the accuracy concerns of Allen. Darnold is the selection I make, but I'd honestly be ok with any of the 4. I just have Darnold as QB1 in a line of pretty darn good ones.

Archived