Josh McDaniels Decides to Stay with New England

WeaponX

Just now, jrry32 said:

That's the point. He's not getting a HC job in NE yet. There's always a chance that they don't follow through with him. The Colts were a nice situation if Luck plays.

Yeah its definitely a risk but McDaniels has worked for Kraft on and off for the better part of 20 years, most of his adult life, so I'd guess they have a pretty good relationship and McDaniels was willing to take him at his word.  He's also a very natural successor to Belichick.  I'm pretty sure nobody has been a coordinator for Belichick longer than McDaniels has and he seems to have a lot of respect within the organization, coaching staff, players, etc.  So its in Kraft's best interest to follow through. 

3 minutes ago, RollEagles said:

Moral high horse? No. Just talking about McDaniels doing a bad thing.

That can happen independent of Irsay and "karma". 

Imagine in a couple years. Belichick retires. McDaniels is announced to take over. 2 weeks later, Brady announces his retirement. McDaniels then backs out and takes a job with Indy. Poster X comes in and says, who cares if McDaniels did the Pats dirty, Kraft is a cheater and it's just karma. 

Other posters started the back-and-forth in this thread calling the Patriots cheaters because McDaniels backed out of the job. I'm just returning the favor by pointing out how horrible an organization the Colts is, and I'm glad they got screwed.

3 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

McDaniels' schtick will only ever work in a place where the Patriot culture is already established and successful, so he is right to wait for that job. Veterans won't buy into a twerp like McDaniels uprooting a locker room to foster a culture of 100% negative reinforcement. It just doesn't work. 

That's an interesting point.  When Belichick took over the Pats a lot of the veterans on that team had played for him and Parcells a few years earlier and had success so were probably a lot more willing to buy into the culture.  Could explain why a lot of Belichick's assistants have bombed elsewhere.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mission27 said:

Yeah its definitely a risk but McDaniels has worked for Kraft on and off for the better part of 20 years, most of his adult life, so I'd guess they have a pretty good relationship and McDaniels was willing to take him at his word.  He's also a very natural successor to Belichick.  I'm pretty sure nobody has been a coordinator for Belichick longer than McDaniels has and he seems to have a lot of respect within the organization, coaching staff, players, etc.  So its in Kraft's best interest to follow through. 

It's in Kraft's best interest to hire a good/great coach. McDaniels isn't that.

• Like 1

The Rooney Rule also does not apply if an assistant has language in their contract guaranteeing them the job. All the Patriots would need to do is extend McDaniels’ contract a year and add in that provision.