Sam Darnold Pro Day (3/21/18)

Mind Character

14 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

That's.... That's not how this works. Are there still people that think this is how it works?

The SPARQ score tells you who (according to their athletic testing) is a better athlete. Not who the better football player is or who you have to draft. Obi Melifonwu was a SPARQ god, but he's not a better prospect than say Derwin or Malik Hooker. This testing says Sweat is a better athlete than Chubb, which he is. Chubb is better with his hands, has been more productive, and hasn't had major injury issues. A SPARQ score or any other athletic test is just about athleticism, not the whole package.

It also doesn't work cross position, and no one cares about SPARQ for quarterbacks, it's the position where athleticism matters least in the whole sport (see Brady, Tom). 

I just... Man. Most DE's these days are bigger/faster/stronger than Taylor. It's just how the sport, training regimens, and sports science has evolved.

Like, not a single statement in this post is based on any level of understanding regarding what you're knocking.

Saw something relating to Chubb I figured might add to the conversation. At his pro day, he didn't redo his 3cone but did redo his short shuttle and improved the number from 4.41 to 4.18. That's a legit improvement. I wonder if he could have improved his 3cone as substantially. Food for thought.

14 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

This testing says Sweat is a better athlete than Chubb, which he is. Chubb is better with his hands, has been more productive, and hasn't had major injury issues. A SPARQ score or any other athletic test is just about athleticism, not the whole packag

This is true but in the case of Sweat, he may have a bigger upside than Chubb IMO. He could flame out or be captain average, or he could be a Danielle Hunter type of guy with low college production but athletic scores that suggest he could have upside.

3 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Who said keep your opinions to yourself?

Well to be the fun NT he obviously can't have his opinion. His mostly positive but party average review of Sam Darnold didn't go over so well for those who put their favorite prospects up there with the children.

I say you do you NT. If you believe something and want to express it do it. We are all gifted with your humor but you are entitled to your opinion even if it isn't the popular one.

I'm seeing a lot of these "None of these kids are pro ready" well good thing is they don't have to be pro ready. We have Taylor who is a pro and is the starting QB. All the rookie has to do is be 3rd string and learn. So take the guy that looks like they have the most potential and the best skill set. AKA Sam Darnold. If people feel Josh Allen would be a franchise QB if he sat for a year then pick him and sit him. It's not hard. We are in a great position (in fact the best position) to FINALLY address our long term QB woes once and for all. Take the best QB and be done with it. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

43 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well to be the fun NT he obviously can't have his opinion. His mostly positive but party average review of Sam Darnold didn't go over so well for those who put their favorite prospects up there with the children.

I say you do you NT. If you believe something and want to express it do it. We are all gifted with your humor but you are entitled to your opinion even if it isn't the popular one.

What? We’re not on different pages, we’re on different books. 

19 hours ago, mtmmike said:

ok prove it

plug in jj watts number who was quoted as being a freak athlete

verses chubb

You can't "plug their numbers in" because the SPARQ system is the intellectual property of the guy who invented it, it's not like a free program or something, it's his patented system, it's part of how he makes a living. But we can certainly look at their numbers side by side (noting that Watt weighed 20 pounds more). (And I'm just gonna tell you right now, I can tell this might get ugly because Chubb was the top performer at his combine, DE only, in zero drills. Watt was tops at his position in all but one.)

Watt was 6'5 290. Chubb was 6'4 269.

40 Yard Dash - Watt 4.84 < Chubb 4.65
Bench - Watt 34 > Chubb 24
Vertical - Watt 37 > Chubb 36 (with Watt weighing more remember)
Broad jump - Watt 120 < Chubb 121
3 Cone - Watt 6.88 > Chubb 7.37
20 yard shuttle - Watt 4.21 > Chubb 4.41

So despite being 20 pounds heavier, Watt outperformed Chubb by significant amounts in 3/6 measurements, outperformed him by a little in one, lost by a little in one, and lost significantly only in the 40 yard dash (where the difference between 290 and 270 is really big).

5 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

Saw something relating to Chubb I figured might add to the conversation. At his pro day, he didn't redo his 3cone but did redo his short shuttle and improved the number from 4.41 to 4.18. That's a legit improvement. I wonder if he could have improved his 3cone as substantially. Food for thought.

That's a possibility. But I don't see a Myles Garrett level "elite" athlete when I watch Chubb. I see a really, really good athlete. Which is what his combine numbers had him as. I always struggle with pro-day numbers because they're either hand timed or timed via the school's system and you never know which ones might be friendly. (I loved the story of a scout who went to a school's proday that was famously time-friendly and at the end he asked if he could set a basketball down on the field and see if it rolled and the coach smiled and said he certainly may NOT.)

8 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Lol the Josh Allen love is crazy to me.

I get the physical tools and he’s apparently a great kid, but he just hasn’t shown to be any good at actually playing football yet. Perhaps he will be, and I’d love him if I was drafting in the teens or twenties, but there are way too many questions to be in the conversation for number one in this class.

I think a decent argument for Lamar Jackson ahead of him can be made tbh.

yeah.

He would probably get gold at shotput. 

1 hour ago, freakygeniuskid said:

That's a possibility. But I don't see a Myles Garrett level "elite" athlete when I watch Chubb. I see a really, really good athlete. Which is what his combine numbers had him as. I always struggle with pro-day numbers because they're either hand timed or timed via the school's system and you never know which ones might be friendly. (I loved the story of a scout who went to a school's proday that was famously time-friendly and at the end he asked if he could set a basketball down on the field and see if it rolled and the coach smiled and said he certainly may NOT.)

The difference is Chubb isn’t going to make a living off his athletic ability. I don’t care if he isn’t a freak Athlete like Garrett. If he was he would be going top3 IMO. You pick him because he is a darn good athlete and has amazing technique and has darn good game tape. 

He ia going to be like Bosa IMO. Not going to over power a tackle with strength or raw athletic ability but with their technique and hand placement. That once they have that tackle beat they have the athletic ability to do whatever they want in the backfield

A couple wild ones but really good showing as a whole. I’m not in the camp that thinks pro days are hugely significant, but this does nothing to dispel my notion of Darnold as the best QB. 

I do think it’s interesting, though. Some of the same people that say that Darnold’s pro day means nothing also quickly criticized him for not throwing at the combine. 

13 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

Part of me is worried about Josh Allen’s physical tools given hue and co a hard on and us taking him. Ultimate failure 

Just heard on WTAM that Hueball ran onto the field and hugged Darnold when his session ended.

What is he going to do with Allen, give him a bj?

5 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Just heard on WTAM that Hueball ran onto the field and hugged Darnold when his session ended.

What is going to do with Allen, give him a bj?

Originally my main worry was they were falling for Mayfield (because of the mccloughan links etc). This week with the Darnold buzz, it’s kind of moved onto Josh Allen. Because you hear about them possibly ranking them similarly and other rumours like that.

But I always go back to this. Dorsey may well believe in ‘Prototype’, which Allen checks. But he also believes in ‘Production’ and ‘Performance’. Allen does not check this.

And most of all, I saw a Dorsey interview where he said something he finds very important is to see how the player did against the best teams he went up against.

Josh Allen against the three power 5 teams (or whatever it’s called), Nebraska, Iowa, Oregon;

1TD, 8INT

2 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

For what it’s worth Mary K said several prominent Browns coaches and executives are in love with Josh Allen. 

Not sure how to rank the order of laughability here.

Josh Allen

MKC

Our coaching staff

Archived