CW21's 2018 NFL Draft Review (Browns Up)

CWood21

On 5/12/2018 at 7:24 PM, CWood21 said:

Saquon Barkley is arguably a better RB prospect than both of them, and should immediately contend for the rushing title as a rookie.  In order to protect their investment, they grabbed arguably the second best OL in the draft in Will Hernandez who slides in nicely at LG next to their big FA signing, Nate Solder.

This is a little embarrassing to admit but, after watching the Giants' "blocking" (to use the term loosely) these last few years, I burst into tears when they announced Will Hernandez as their second-round pick:

"Hey! Amigo! We gonna block doze bastardos dis year, eh? Oba oba!"

Image result for Will Hernandez

4 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

I think I'd only give 4 drafts an A- or higher, and you've given three of them a B+ already. Bucs, Packers, Bears, Cardinals. Stingy as usual, Woody

Your mom says otherwise.

43 minutes ago, CWood21 said:
5 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

I think I'd only give 4 drafts an A- or higher, and you've given three of them a B+ already. Bucs, Packers, Bears, Cardinals. Stingy as usual, Woody

Your mom says otherwise.

gross

18 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

So, CWood21 is done with his postdraft analysis. Pity.

I think most of his grades are overly conservative. No one gets worse in the draft. An F is impossible.

J

You'll have to forgive me for my lack of a personal life.  But on a real note, I'll finish these up.

Sorry it took me so long to get the next one up...

Cincinnati-Bengals-logo-psd56742.png

1(21) - Billy Price [C; Ohio State]
2(54) - Jessie Bates [S; Wake Forest]
3(77) - Sam Hubbard [DE; Ohio State]
3(78) - Malik Jefferson [LB; Texas]
4(112) - Mark Walton [RB; Miami (FL)]
5(151) - Davontae Harris [CB; Illinois State]
5(158) - Andrew Brown [DT; Virginia]
5(170) - Darius Phillips [CB; Western Michigan]
7(249) - Logan Woodside [QB; Toledo]
7(252) - Rod Taylor [OG; Ole Miss]
7(253) - Auden Tate [WR; Florida State]

One of these days, I'll figure out what's going on in Mike Brown's head.  But until then, I'll continue to speculate and make fun of his interesting decisions. After almost all of the NFL believed that the Bengals and Marvin Lewis were about to part ways, they ended up retaining Marvin Lewis as their head coach and entered the 2018 draft looking to continue to improve their roster.  In the first round, the Bengals drafted Billy Price out of Ohio State coming off a torn pectoral muscle.  Most of the time that you see this kind of significant injury, the player would be in line for a tumble down the draft board.  Fortunately for Billy Price, medical doctors believed he was on track to recover from the injury in time for the start of the regular season.  Combine that with his excellent play and you've got yourself a first round pick.  In the second, they grabbed Jessie Bates.  Safeties in general seem to be devalued around the league, likely because teams are turning aging, slowing corners into safeties.  He's a solid safety, but I question how much upside he truly has and I don't think he'll ever be a huge playmaking safety in the NFL.  I really, really am trying to find something positive to say about Sam Hubbard, but I'm convinced he's the 4th best pass rusher on that Buckeyes DL.  I'd sooner have taken Tyquan Lewis or Jaylyn Holmes if I've got my choice between the three draft-eligible pass rushers this year.  Despite that, they took Malik Jefferson in the third round pick who if he would have came out a year earlier we're probably talking about a guy who probably would have pushed for a Day 1 pick.  He regressed a bit last year, but the kid is tremendously talented and should be a starter sooner rather than later.  Mark Walton was a pretty solid pick.  The Bengals already have pretty solid depth at the RB position, but Mark Walton adds more depth.  He probably won't get a ton of burn as a rookie but if they move on from Giovanni Bernard he'll get more reps.  Didn't really watch a bunch of Davontae Harris, but grabbing a guy with his physical profile this late in the draft is a reasonable gamble.  He's a little tight in the hips, which blurs his projection at cornerback but if he has to transition to safety that wouldn't be the worst situation to have.  Andrew Brown was a former highly ranked prospect, and his athletic profile projects him to be a good project.  Quite frankly, he was one of the DL I had my eyes in terms of finding value later in the draft and I think the Bengals made a very good choice with him.  The Bengals continued with solid depth with Darius Phillips and Rod Taylor.  Phillips projects to be more of a slot cornerback for me, while Rod Taylor add some good depth to the IOL.  Logan Woodside was one of my favorite UDFA prospects for the QB position.  He's a bit of a rough translation to the NFL, but it's hard to ignore the tools.  At the very least, he should give you some good throws in camp and probably starts the year on the PS or the 3rd QB on the depth chart.  Auden Tate is a big WR who is going to be a good red zone target, but I'm not sure he offers much more than that.  I almost wonder if he should bulk up a bit and be a TE-lite.  I just don't think he offers much between the 20s.  Overall, the Bengals had a really good draft but it didn't really have the upside I've been accustomed to seeing with them.  It seems like they went relatively safe in this draft, and I felt the Bengals needed a little something to get them over the hump.  I think when we look back at this draft in 5+ years, it won't be viewed as a disappointing draft but also not a franchise-changing one either.

Best Value Pick: Andrew Brown [DT; Virginia]
Worst Value Pick: Sam Hubbard [DE; Ohio State]
Grade: B

Solid write-up and I agree with almost all of it.  What was different about this draft is that the team focused on filling needs in the trenches and passed on shiny new toys.  price was a neccessity.  Maybe we would have gone Ragnow if he was still there, but he wasn't.  He was a first rounder before the minor injury to his ec, and he's passed every test so far on time or ahead of schedule.  Bates was an Austin pick through and through.  A guy who makes plays.  He eventually wrestles a startoing spot form Williams as a true FS, allowing Williams to go back to the hybrid role he exceled at two years ago.  I agree that Hubbard will never be an All Star, but on a team with Dunlap, Lawson and Willis, he doesn't have to be.  He will be a solid roatational player who may grow into a larger role in a year or two.  Jefferson was a great pick at that point.  He brings atheleticism that we lack at the position, ouiutside of Burfict, who isn't available for 16 games a year anymore.

I thought Walton was a great pick.  He essentially replaces Peerman's role as a special teams ace, while also being a capable replacement for Gio, whether it's a short spell to let him rest, or a few games due to injury.  walton will contribute from the start of the seasoon.

The fifth round CBs each add something that we need.  Harris is a solid guy who may end up playing a hybrid CB/S spot over Shaw.  Phillips is a big play waiting to happen in the return game.  As for Brown, I think he develops into a solid to very good player.  UVA did him no favors by changing schemes and having him play 5t.  His best fit is as a 3t behind Geno.  He will thrive in that role.  His Senior Bowl tape kinda shows that too.

I like Woodside, especially when his only competitton for a roster spot is Matt barkley.  Taylor may be a developmental guy, but we've had decent success with a few of thoise, and with Pollack now the line coach, maybe he can develop him into something more.  I think you nailed it on Tate, a red zone weapon and not much else, at least for now.  He probably ends up on the PS, but if guys alike Walton and Harris show on special teams, it may make guyys like Erickson and Core expendable, opening a spot for Tate to grab.

Archived