How would Alabama fare in the NFL?

Hunter2_1

Bama in NFL  

132 members have voted

1. 1. The 2017 Alabama team would have gone....

• Crushed by everyone
    • Below .500
    • Compete for the division and be "in the hunt" for playoffs
    • Win the division and be a playoff team
    • Win the conference and be a superbowl contender

3 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

Yeah, I guess it was more Miami clearly played better under Saban than without. If he had gone to a roster with a legit QB he would've made the playoffs.

Eh, it's his own fault. He had the opportunity to grab Brees and he went with Culpepper. Keep in mind Saban had personnel control.

45 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

I would think Alabama would beat the best team in the CFL. The best CFL team probably has at most a couple of guys who could potentially play in the NFL as a backup backup on any given team.

The highest paid CFL players pull up to $500,000, and the minimum salary for a rookie in the NFL is $450,000, although that number in 2018 is already up to $480,000. So any player who can play in the NFL is most likely not choosing the CFL instead except for very short stints.

Alabama likely has somewhere between 5 and 10 NFL caliber starters, and maybe another 5 to 10 guys who could be backups. Yes they are younger, but they do possess more talent.

Then the coaching staffs are much better in College football than in the CFL. With Nick Saban making upwards of $11 Million a year and the CFL salary cap at $5.2 Million, and the highest paid coach in the CFL making just over $600,000, It's probably not too much of a stretch to believe that Saban makes more in a year than an entire CFL team, players, coaches, and staff combined.

Ultimately, I'll defer to someone who follows the CFL more intently, but I know that there aren't many who make a successful jump from CFL to NFL (Warren Moon, Rocket Ismail, Jeff Garcia, Can Wake... anyone else?)

Conversely, 'Bama sends 6-8 guys to the league on a yearly basis. 

I'm of the mindset that 'Bama would beat a CFL team. It would be a very close game (it would also depend on what rules are followed - big advantage to CFL if it's CFL rules) but I think the Tide would wash over Canada.

35 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

If they took the Falcons schedule last year, I see them going 14-2, with a 1st round bye in the playoffs. Obviously they'd lose twice to my beloved Saints, but would easily win their other 14 games. The NFL (Minus my Saints...Obviously) just can't keep up with that SEC speed everyone raves about. Can you imagine if guys like AJ Mccarron, and Trent Richardson were just a few years younger so they could lead this stacked Alabama offense to even greater heights in the NFL.  

Obviously God made them be born early so we wouldn't have to bear witness to such a juggernaut.

Crushed. By. Everyone.

The best NCAA football team might has 12 "NFL worthy" players. And only a few of those are "NFL ready." Meanwhile, every player on an NFL team is not only NFL worthy, but, aside from a few rookies that the teams generally dont need to depend on, , they are NFL ready. And many of them are experienced players with years on the field breaking down and diagnosing the players on the other side of the scrimmage line. Experience, alone, would handicap Bama. You add in the monumental deficit in talent and it's not even close. 

1. The 2017 Alabama team would have gone....

• Crushed by everyone

• Below .500

• Compete for the division and be "in the hunt" for playoffs

• Win the division and be a playoff team

• Win the conference and be a superbowl contender

:D:D

Seriously though, this comes up every off season, and it seems the general perception is moving more and more towards the crushed option every year.
4 or 5 years ago, when the question started popping up, it was much more even.

Surprised no-one has mentioned scheme and how that would baffle the college team, every NFL team plays some very complicated schemes and playbooks compared to college football and it's one of the main reasons rookies struggle initially. The Alabama offence will simply have never seen a defensive scheme so confusing, with multiple blitzers, varying coverages etc. they would just be overrun. Whilst some college teams have genuine talent, how many times do we hear that a rookie will get bigger, faster, stronger or have to put on 15 lbs in an NFL S&C programme, even very talented rookie players improve dramatically from their last year at college to their first year in the NFL. 

I'd be very surprised if they could keep the score below 70 against most NFL teams and a few would easily eclipse 100 points (if they didn't rest or sub players in). I'd also bet the CFL teams would win rather comfortably aswell even though pure talent wise they might be closer. 

0-16, worst team in NFL history. Probably outscored 50 to 700 on the season. First off, there were probably only 15ish NFL caliber players on that team (rough estimate). In the long haul, it wouldn't surprise me if it's more like 30+, but we're taking that 2017 Bama team as it was and the 18 year old reserves on that squad are not NFL caliber yet. "Only 15ish!?" you might say... well sure that's insane for a college team, but every NFL team has 53 NFL caliber players. Even the 2017 Cleveland Browns were made up of grown men, not boys. 

On 5/8/2018 at 1:03 PM, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah? Even though they are "College's most NFL-like team"? 

I'm not saying either way, just curious

They are a team that breeds some NFL Talent but at the same time it's fair to say that the majority of the talent upon their roster does not prosper at the NFL level.  The Browns would put up 60 on them with their 2nd string offense.

On 5/10/2018 at 10:50 AM, Darbsk said:

Surprised no-one has mentioned scheme and how that would baffle the college team, every NFL team plays some very complicated schemes and playbooks compared to college football and it's one of the main reasons rookies struggle initially. The Alabama offence will simply have never seen a defensive scheme so confusing, with multiple blitzers, varying coverages etc. they would just be overrun. Whilst some college teams have genuine talent, how many times do we hear that a rookie will get bigger, faster, stronger or have to put on 15 lbs in an NFL S&C programme, even very talented rookie players improve dramatically from their last year at college to their first year in the NFL. 

I'd be very surprised if they could keep the score below 70 against most NFL teams and a few would easily eclipse 100 points (if they didn't rest or sub players in). I'd also bet the CFL teams would win rather comfortably aswell even though pure talent wise they might be closer. 

Only thing really wrong with this statement is that College teams tend to have better Strength and Conditioning programs. NFL players usually end up using some sort of personal trainer for the most part.

Even if their entire schedule was 16 games against the Cleveland Browns in Tuscaloosa played with college rules and spotting Alabama 24 points every game would still be a massive blow out in favor of the Browns. This is just a comical question to even bring up.

14 minutes ago, youngosu said:

Even if their entire schedule was 16 games against the Cleveland Browns in Tuscaloosa played with college rules and spotting Alabama 24 points every game would still be a massive blow out in favor of the Browns. This is just a comical question to even bring up.

i wont go that far.

10 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

i wont go that far.

I stand by it 100%.

Even if you assume all 12 guys drafted from Alabama make teams and even if you assume all become starters in the NFL (unlikely on both) and even if you assume there are another say 12 guys on that team that could have been drafted had they been eligible with another 20 or so that will eventually be good enough to get drafted you still barely have an NFL roster whereas despite the jokes made at the Browns expense everyone of their players would start at Alabama. Ignoring the maturity factor, Alabama would simply be dramatically outclassed from a talent perspective. 

Archived