Relationship Advice Thread

scar988

17 hours ago, riceman80 said:

Alright my engaged and married folks, ideas for how to figure out the kinda ring your girl might want and what her ring size is without giving away your intentions!?

I'd know a few things:

1. Find out if SHE wants to help pick it out or not. Some want to go ring shopping with you believe it or not.

2. My wife wanted a surprise, so I was pretty coy, did some digging, and totally brought this up in random conversations like "Yeah, my dad bought my mom a __________ ring back in the day. What about your mom? What kind of cut does she have?" She'll probably tell you without even knowing the kind of cut, setting, and white/yellow gold that she wants, if not platinum/whatever.

3. If she has family that you trust, ask them. I double checked with her sister a few hours before buying and swore her to secrecy. She happily obliged.

4. As for ring size, ask the jeweler and make sure they do ring sizing/resizing for free. Almost all do. Besides this, they are almost always spot on if you can give them an estimated height/build.

18 hours ago, riceman80 said:

Alright my engaged and married folks, ideas for how to figure out the kinda ring your girl might want and what her ring size is without giving away your intentions!?

1) Search online and everywhere for the design that you believe she might like the best. Mine just told me she wanted a cushion cut diamond. I had to handle the rest of it on my own. But trust me, you'll know it when you see it.

2) to size her finger, just try and get a size and let her know that it's a possiblility in the future. Ring sizers are like $5 on amazon.

3) You should have already had the talk about getting married one day. So when you do size her finger. Just try and get a couple of different fingers so you try to throw her off. 

Edited by scar988

On December 18, 2017 at 9:06 AM, scar988 said:

Just try and get a couple of different fingers so you try to throw her off. 

Heaven help the girl that doesn't see the through this charade lol.

"Alright now girl, lemme see that pinky in case I see something nice for it."

Maybe size 'em all and tell her you're considering a custom pair of brass knuckles?

;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dingo18287 said:

Get a ring that she wears on her ring finger, whether right or left that she won't notice missing for a few days, and bring it to a jewelry store that can size it. Maybe get the ring a size or 2 bigger to give some leeway for it to be resized.

*half size bigger.

37 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

oh you dudes...

to size a gal's ring finger, you wait for her to fall deeply asleep, cut a small stip of paper less than 1/2" wide, slip it around her finger, overlap one end over the other, and mark it with a felt tip pen. then you take that to a jeweler.

sheesh.

Not where I thought you were going with this one...