Relationship Advice Thread

scar988

I went on a date last night with a girl I met on a dating website.  You know that feeling when you instantly realize you’re out of your league?  Yea that happened to me.   She was pretty, well traveled, athletic, smart, kind. She had to delay the date by 30 minutes to perform emergency surgery on a dog for crying out loud! As far as excuses go, I’d say that is more than acceptable. But then 10 minutes into the date I got this look of disappointment that I’ve observed on the face of several previous failed first dates. Once you get that look, it loosens you up a bit, because it’s like - well I got nothing to lose now.  Anyway, we will see how it goes from here.  If nothing else, the ‘last Christmas I gave you my heart, but the very next day you gave it away’ song will have special meaning to me moving forward.  Not looking for advice.  Just wanted to share.  

41 minutes ago, Gmen said:

You know that feeling when you instantly realize you’re out of your league?

If you go into a date with the mindset that you're in her league, you're right. If you go into a date with the mindset that you're NOT in her league... you're right.

Moral of the story is mindset. If you have that, there is no league you can't play in.

If nothing else, the ‘last Christmas I gave you my heart, but the very next day you gave it away’ song will have special meaning to me moving forward.

Slow down, Casenova. Nobody gives a heart away on the first date (except for the ladies who dated me - what can I say, I'm charming in small doses).

Not looking for advice.  Just wanted to share.  

Not giving advice, just speaking the truth.

17 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Slow down, Casenova. Nobody gives a heart away on the first date (except for the ladies who dated me - what can I say, I'm charming in small doses).

Not giving advice, just speaking the truth.

Yea, well Tell that to Wham 

• Like 1

Honestly, you are never out of someone's league. There are some pretty gruesome looking guys out there who date gorgeous girls, and vice versa. Most important aspect is how you connect with someone.

Don't count yourself out just yet.

Edited by Jetfan66

20 minutes ago, Jetfan66 said:

Honestly, you are never out of someone's league. There are some pretty gruesome looking guys out there who date gorgeous girls, and vice versa. Most important aspect is how you connect with someone.

Don't count yourself out just yet.

YEah @Gmen, you could always be like a gruesome guy who is with someone way too hot for him.

• Like 2

On 12/17/2017 at 3:03 PM, riceman80 said:

Alright my engaged and married folks, ideas for how to figure out the kinda ring your girl might want and what her ring size is without giving away your intentions!?

She's going to have to wear the ring for the rest of her life (hopefully), just let her pick it out.  I let my wife pick hers out, you can still surprise her about when you pop the question.  You wouldn't believe how many of my wife's girlfriends don't like their rings.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gmen said:

I went on a date last night with a girl I met on a dating website.  You know that feeling when you instantly realize you’re out of your league?  Yea that happened to me.   She was pretty, well traveled, athletic, smart, kind. She had to delay the date by 30 minutes to perform emergency surgery on a dog for crying out loud! As far as excuses go, I’d say that is more than acceptable. But then 10 minutes into the date I got this look of disappointment that I’ve observed on the face of several previous failed first dates. Once you get that look, it loosens you up a bit, because it’s like - well I got nothing to lose now.  Anyway, we will see how it goes from here.  If nothing else, the ‘last Christmas I gave you my heart, but the very next day you gave it away’ song will have special meaning to me moving forward.  Not looking for advice.  Just wanted to share.  

dude, she agreed (and wanted) to go out on a date with you, ya know...

if you were beneath her status she would have known it already.

Thanks everybody for the input. I ended up going the mom route for intel and it worked out perfectly.

The size ended up being just half a size off but she said she loved the ring and it was perfect, right after she said yes! Ha!!!

Edited by riceman80
  • Like 10

19 hours ago, riceman80 said:

Thanks everybody for the input. I ended up going the mom route for intel and it worked out perfectly.

The size ended up being just half a size off but she said she loved the ring and it was perfect, right after she said yes! Ha!!!

Congrats!

• Like 1

On 12/27/2017 at 7:19 AM, Gmen said:

You know that feeling when you instantly realize you’re out of your league?  Yea that happened to me.

Yeah it happens to all humans. Banish the emotion. It manifests itself on your face and in your body language and can end up being a self-fulfilling prophecy. Women can and will pick up on that feeling even if the rationale behind it is flimsy.

Edited by cddolphin

On 12/27/2017 at 5:19 PM, riceman80 said:

Congrats! 

Funny enough,  my wife didn't like her ring. We took it back, she went online, found one with a fake diamond for  a couple hundred dollars, and saved me a ton of money. It worked out great for me. She didn't want me spending $600+ on a damn ring,  and also isn't a fan of too much bling. I'm a lucky man! 

Be sure to help her with the planning. It's a lot of **** that usually get put on the shoulders of the woman, and can cause a ton of stress.

• Like 1