Trubisky vs Watson, long term

Activated10

Trubisky vs Watson  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Trubisky or Watson, which QB you take for next decade

• Mitchell Trubisky
    • Deshaun Watson

7 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I don't remember Sexy Rexy as much but Jay Cutler was more Eddie George than Favre. He didn't create out of the pocket like Favre and had no where near the same arm talent or athletic ability. Just a big arm that liked to pout on the sidelines

He was a much better athlete than Favre and was at his best outside the pocket.  He had similar arm talent to Favre.  Favre, Jay, and most top end atm strength guys to be honest, have never met a window they couldn't fit a ball into.  That's why Jay struggled when he did, that's why Favre struggled later in his career.  If Jay was a contemporary to Favre he probably has a similar career arc.  But he wasnt, he came a generation later and NFL defenses had morphed into takeaway machines.  LBs were smaller, faster, better at coverage.  DL had become athletic freaks of nature.  Safety play had changed.  Looks had changed.  Being able to throw a football thru a keyhole was no longer the most important aspect of being a qb, it was now largely a chest match at the LOS.  Brett Favre doesnt work in today's NFL.

Mitch Trubisky is, what, 8 games into this offense.

Pump the breaks, guys. 2018 is all about progress for the kid, and he's done that if you compare his abilities pre/post snap week 1 to week 9.

Talk to me in a couple years... I love Mahomes (and loved him during the draft process) but I don't think these numbers are going to last his entire career.

11 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

And being real, Tru hasnt made a bad decision in probably 4 weeks.  

And I'd love to hear the bottom 10 argument considering hes top 16 at worst in pretty much any statistical measure and top 10 in a lot of them

Here it is ladies and gentleman. I'd like to find one non-bears fan that will defend these statements.

As for the bad decision, here's a start.

Are you seriously telling me I can't name at least 16 quarterbacks who are easily better than Trubisky right now? Cmon man, I don't even think you believe what you're selling.

Please god what is this forum coming to.

9 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I actually planned on watching a couple of their games via DAZN to establish a valid opinion before I posted. I've been busy. I'm not avoiding you. The last time I saw Trubisky was versus New England. I want to see how things are developing. Same with Watson. 

That's fair and I truly respect that approach.  

However, my only issue with this is that I feel like you(and everyone else) should have done this prior to judging either player.

I see this happen far too often on here where people make baseless claims about players as if they have spent countless hours watching them and will fight tooth and nail to support their "opinion". But the minute you ask them to back it up with actual play and real analysis, they either dance around it or ignore it altogether--proving they really don't know crap and are just talking out of their butts (i.e @Danger It's not even close). I mean atleast back it up.

10 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Here it is ladies and gentleman. I'd like to find one non-bears fan that will defend these statements.

Are you seriously telling me I can't name at least 16 quarterbacks who are easily better than Trubisky right now? Cmon man, I don't even think you believe what you're selling.

Please god what is this forum coming to.

That's not a bad decision, it's a bad throw and there is a distinct difference.  A bad decision is throwing into double or triple coverage.  A bad throw is a physical error, ie in this case the ball sailing on the throw.  Tre Burton is open. It's the right read, in progression.  Hence not a bad decision.

Go ahead, name 16 QBs playing better than Mitch.  I'll wait.  Oh and keep.in mind he is 7th in total QBR according to PFR.  And also in the top 10 in EPA.  Go ahead, this should be good.

6 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

That's not a bad decision, it's a bad throw and there is a distinct difference.  A bad decision is throwing into double or triple coverage.  A bad throw is a physical error, ie in this case the ball sailing on the throw.  Tre Burton is open. It's the right read, in progression.  Hence not a bad decision.

This is the single stupidest thing I'll read today. He literally threw it into a defenders hands and you're telling me it's not a bad decision. His receiver is turned around and he threw the ball somewhere else entirely. It's a bad throw and decision.

6 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Go ahead, name 16 QBs playing better than Mitch.  I'll wait.  Oh and keep.in mind he is 7th in total QBR according to PFR.  And also in the top 10 in EPA.  Go ahead, this should be good.

I don't evaluate quarterbacks off raw numbers. His on the field play has been underwhelming if I'm being objective here, not that you are. He misses throws, doesn't have a great arm, and makes poor decisions with the ball. But do you.

Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Rothelisberger, Newton, Goff, Ryan, Rivers, Mahomes, Cousins, Wentz, Wilson, Stafford, Watson, Fitzpatrick

Those are easy choices.

Now for ones who are playing better (especially in their current situations) but you'll probably whine about:

Alex Smith, Marcus Mariota, Derek Carr Jimmy G (prior to injury)

None of these were very hard picks. Your inevitable next step is to point to win total and tell me that I'm dead wrong about many of these, but I've watched everyone on this list extensively and it really wasn't hard to make. You'll make more circular arguments ('every quarterback has dropped picks"), or tell me that I don't watch enough of the bears (i've actually watched every game), or some other nonsense. I'm not arguing this. I'm losing brain cells even responding. 

I'm peacing out of this thread.

Trubisky is ranked #32 QB in the league by PFF. Like literally worst starting QB in the league. I know PFF is not the end be all but still. And myself I haven't been impressed by Trubisky at all this season. He might become something of an Alex Smith but not that much better if even better.

34 minutes ago, Buckweath said:

Trubisky is ranked #32 QB in the league by PFF. Like literally worst starting QB in the league. I know PFF is not the end be all but still. And myself I haven't been impressed by Trubisky at all this season. He might become something of an Alex Smith but not that much better if even better.

That's just uhhhhh not true. https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-starting-nfl-quarterbacks-after-week-9 And I'm sorry but no one here is taking Osweiler or Eli Manning over Trubisky. What laughably bad rankings.

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

This post is how you show you have no idea what you are talking about.  The fact that the ball was picked does not inherently mean it was a bad decision.  His DECISION was to target an open receiver in the right order of progression.  That's the mental process.  The physical process is delivering the football on time to said wr.  It was, as I stated before, a bad throw.  The ball sailed on him.  If you had stated it was an inaccurate throw, I wouldnt have argued with you, it clearly was, the fact that you can't differentiate between the quality of the throw and the quality of the decision shows you clearly lack the ability to evaluate qb play.  Which you then demonstrate in your list.  So let's move to that.  In terms of how they are playing this year clearly Brees, Mahomes, Goff are the three at the top of the list.  Brees and Mahomes likely your all pros.  Based on history I will give you Rodgers, Brady, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Ryan, Wilson.  No question.  I'll also throw in Wentz bc the numbers are decent and he still looks like a good QB even if the production isnt quite there right now.  There is no dimension of existence where Stafford, Mariota, Carr or Smith are playing better than Trubisky this year.  Trubisky has more TDs and a higher QBR than all of them.  For Pete's sake Mariota has 5 TDs and an 85 rating like that's not even close.  The closest guy on your list of at least making a statistical argument is Stafford.  Stafford has 1 fewer TD and 1 less INT playing in the most statistically bloating offense in the history of the NFL.  Stafford has made an absolute career of empty stats that mean nothing....and yet hes still behind Trubisky.  I've already demonstrated a nominal statistical difference between Watson and Trubisky.

Edit: And Jimmy G? Really.  He was average before the injury and he has less starts than Trubisky.  Thanks for declaring your bias.

On 11/9/2018 at 8:23 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

That's a bad throw, not a bad decision. It was an isolation concept. Miller and Bellamy drew 4 secondary players down field leaving Burton one on one against the middle zone and was wide open after the covering defender had his body turned in the opposite direction. 

giphy.gif

Knocking a QB for his decision to throw the ball to a wide open target is ridiculous man.

On 11/10/2018 at 1:31 PM, Malik said:

This thread is about Watson.

We'll see how durable he ends up being. Trubisky may be starting to show more spark, however.

On 11/10/2018 at 2:01 PM, Blackstar12 said:

Watson he skill to make broken plays into gains in similar to that of Wilson.

True. Trubisky does have the second highest rushing totals, though. 

On 11/10/2018 at 3:52 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

Thanks for declaring your bias.

But, his reasoning is totally sound! He wants the Bears picks (now Raiders picks) to be really high. So...therefore Trubisky sucks!

What?

That doesn't make sense to you? :D

Archived