Browns trade for OBJ

49erurtaza

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

You really don’t get the hate for this move? What exactly are you going to get at 17 that will replace ODB? And if you draft a QB now who’s he going to throw to? 

He's a WR? How many Super Bowls do Julio, AB, Green, Evans, OBJ, Thomas, Davante Adams, Diggs, etc have? It's not that important a position.

OBJ isn't taking a bad team anywhere, as evidenced by the fact they sucked the last 2 years. You need pass rushers, an OL and a franchise QB, if you don't have those, anyone on your roster should be on the block until you do. I won't comment on if there were better offers potentially out there because I have no clue, but if the Giants took the best offer, good for them. Build the premium positions.

• Like 5

I'll just copy/paste what I posted a few days ago. There's more positives to Odell leaving than people think. 

I would love to see Beckham and Barkley together as a Giants fan, you just need to block with a competent quarterback. I think Beckham's personality is worse than we assume so I would not be shocked if they trade him. I probably wouldn't be happy but I'll understand and move on quickly. 

20 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I really don't know how to feel about this. Beckham made so many spectacular plays in the past four years, that despite the Giants record, Giants fans kept coming back for more.  He's a spectacular player when he's healthy, and obviously a fan favorite.  That being said, I felt like Beckham lost half a step after his ankle injury in 2017.  He still put up decent numbers in 2018, but much less 'wow' plays, which came mostly from Saquon this year.  Still, this leaves a huge hole at WR for the Giants.  As controversial and backwards as it may seem in this passing era, the Giants look are moving forward with Saquon as the centerpiece of this offense.

Well, @Gmen, you know a lot more about the Giants than I do, for sure, but it seems to me as you say that they've committed to Saquon as the man on their offense- what with the O-line additions and all- and I wonder how much of this trade has less to do with football talent than it does the accident-waiting-to-happen aspect of Life With Odell? I wonder if Shurmur and Gettleman did not, secretly, view Odell as an inevitable problem, this year, next year......and wanted to be rid of that problem. In addition to his salary.

Also, let me ask, do you think there's much chance they might run Evan Engram out wide as a WR, and play two conventional blocking TE's? They'd have even more run support for Saquon, and a big/fast WR/TE hybrid who might be better as big WR---?

Image result for Odell Beckham troubles

Edited by bzane

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm curious if SF ever got in with an actual bid. There was a lot of talk we wanted him bad, but I never heard a single chirp about us actually being in talks with them. The problem was, we were never going to give up #2 for him. Maybe we put the idea of a swap of 2/6 on the table along with other parts (I am on record saying I would have given the swap, a frp next year, plus this year's #3 for him) and they just didn't care for the swap. Even though the point difference is sizeable on the chart, not all situations are the same, and they just may not have cared much with regards to the value of the swap in this situation. If they didn't value a swap, I don't think we were ever going to be in the running for him. 

Could be. I don't think #2 would have been an outrageous price. Obviously considering what the Giants accepted it would have been way too much. I'd at least do a #2 swap for the Giants 2nd round pick and a bit more. I'd value OBJ as the best pass catcher in the league and you'd have him in his prime for the duration of his contract. You cannot get that value at #2.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

He's a WR? How many Super Bowls do Julio, AB, Green, Evans, OBJ, Thomas, Davante Adams, Diggs, etc have? It's not that important a position.

OBJ isn't taking a bad team anywhere, as evidenced by the fact they sucked the last 2 years. You need pass rushers, an OL and a franchise QB, if you don't have those, anyone on your roster should be on the block until you do. I won't comment on if there were better offers potentially out there because I have no clue, but if the Giants took the best offer, good for them. Build the premium positions.

I would argue you can get away with not having a franchise QB as long as the QB is above average and gets hot at the right time as long as you have the OL and defense.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LeotheLion said:

Could be. I don't think #2 would have been an outrageous price. Obviously considering what the Giants accepted it would have been way too much. I'd at least do a #2 swap for the Giants 2nd round pick and a bit more. I'd value OBJ as the best pass catcher in the league and you'd have him in his prime for the duration of his contract. You cannot get that value at #2.

I think in the new salary cap era, it's really hard to move off a top 5 pick for a guy who's already gotten his big contract. Cost controlled assets are so huge, particularly when the top of the draft and best players coincides with your greatest needs. 

am i crazy for liking this trade for the giants? i think it's a win-win trade for both sides.

the giants are clearly in rebuild mode and the first/third round picks will go to adding more talent across the board for them, given they have so many holes to fill.

they take a lot of dead money on this season but they have the room, and it frees up money going forward hopefully to put talent around barkley, whatever QB they draft, etc.

also, could you imagine a rookie QB coming onto the giants and having to deal with OBJ's ego/hotheadedness? at least in cleveland the team is clearly baker's.

• Like 2