"What Happened in Green Bay" - fascinating piece on Rodgers/McCarthy

Apparition

19 hours ago, Coffee & Contemplation said:

Everything else is just noise

To you, maybe. To me - someone who doesn't have a dog in this fight - it helps me understand why such a talented QB has underperformed in context of his career.

1 hour ago, TheOnlyThing said:

As for McCarthy, again a sizable contingent of Packer fans viewed his simple, basic approach to the game as "genius" and continue to refuse to believe his "success" depended upon superior offensive talent (prior to 2011 the Pack did draft a lot of talent especially on offense and not just at QB with Rodgers).

Mahomes and Chiefs lost to Pats in regular season because they scored too quickly. Why did they make the same mistake in AFCCG? why didn't they stay on field for lousy 3 minutes then score in last TD drive?

Figure it out, you will know why Packers offense is so predictable.

Every coach will love to make his offense versatile and unpredictable, every coach will try different plays, different designs, different schemes. If after 10 years, a 10 year old knows what your QB will do before the games even start, you should start thinking who you should point your finger to.

Don't pull  the "Marino could have won 5 SB with Don Shula", QB's ability determines what his coaches can do, not the other way.

On 05/04/2019 at 2:16 PM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

We've heard this for years about Rodgers, that he can be arrogant, not the best teammate, etc, and honestly it's not hard to guess that from watching his pressers and body language, but he's always been this kind of personality and his talent easily outweighs such concerns. What's really surprising is how harsh this report was on MM and how lowly Rodgers apparently thought of him. I wonder if it was more a personal beef than MM truly being dumb to the point of irritating Rodgers.

The Packers should trade Rodgers for a mid first round pick, a late third and a starter with all this drama...

11 hours ago, showtime said:

That article is just weird.  Why would the coach tell a player to talk to their estranged mother? 

And how would he know when obviously neither Rodgers or MM would talk to him.

It's a laughable article that tries to find drama where there is far, far less than the author wanted. Certainly crumbs of the article are true, but some of the hot takez like this (and the nonsense about the conversation the FO had with Rodgers after the La Fleur hiring) are laughable.

8 hours ago, incognito_man said:

And how would he know when obviously neither Rodgers or MM would talk to him.

It's a laughable article that tries to find drama where there is far, far less than the author wanted. Certainly crumbs of the article are true, but some of the hot takez like this (and the nonsense about the conversation the FO had with Rodgers after the La Fleur hiring) are laughable.

It's certainly a lot easier to brush it off and dismiss it when it doesn't align with your personal viewpoint, isn't it?

On 4/4/2019 at 11:59 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yep. And then when he's gone and I'm watching a Packer game where they're down by 28 at half time with the ball on the 40 and all my friends want to die, I get to say, "Man, this is one of those situations where you'd want a QB with the ability to nail a Hail Mary to get back in the game."

Any quarterback can nail a Hail Mary.  All you do is heave it up into the crowd and be lucky enough to have someone on your team come down with it.  

51 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

It's certainly a lot easier to brush it off and dismiss it when it doesn't align with your personal viewpoint, isn't it?

Not being dismissed. A lot of this article is stuff we already knew with hot takes thrown in by two guys whos only pay day at this point is talking Rodgers. Neither have been close to the team in years. We know Aaron Rodgers can be a jerk, is hard on rookie receivers, changes plays at the line frequently with mixed results, and has been unhappy with McCarthy. We also knew that McCarthy's plays were  stale and he didn't change. 

A lot of the other noise I assume is exaggerated or taking from one source with no other corroboration. Multiple players both on and off the team have come out confused on a lot of this "drama" because they didn't even know it existed when they played. Its a piece not meant to tell the truth as is but to get clicks. Its over exaggerated click bait. 

21 hours ago, showtime said:

That article is just weird.  Why would the coach tell a player to talk to their estranged mother? 

Per a source, McCarthy saw those State Farm commercials, thought they were real depictions of disasters in Rodgers' real life, and wanted him to let his mom know he was okay.

On 4/6/2019 at 11:21 AM, ET80 said:

To you, maybe. To me - someone who doesn't have a dog in this fight - it helps me understand why such a talented QB has underperformed in context of his career.

I mean, there's a whole lot of filler in there and most of the "groundbreaking" stuff really isn't anything new.  It's been discussed ad nauseam for the last few years.  Rodgers has a propensity to try and go for the big plays over the quick, easy passes.  McCarthy's offense has gotten stale and lacks any kind of imagination.  You can go on and on, but it's things that have been discussed the last few years in the Packers' forum.

2 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

None of the actual facts in the article aren't in line with my personal viewpoint.

It's been common knowledge for a decade that this is Rodgers' personality. He's sensitive, arrogant, competitive, etc.

The unsubstantiated hot takez by the former (scorned) GB 'journalist' in an article he cherry-picked other scorned sources is pretty silly though. 

44 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, there's a whole lot of filler in there and most of the "groundbreaking" stuff really isn't anything new

For someone who doesn't follow the Packers intently, it's new. Much like how I wouldn't expect a non Texans fan to understand the dynamic between Rick Smith and Bill O'Brien last season, you should not expect non Pack fans to understand this dynamic.

46 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Rodgers has a propensity to try and go for the big plays over the quick, easy passes.  McCarthy's offense has gotten stale and lacks any kind of imagination.  You can go on and on, but it's things that have been discussed the last few years in the Packers' forum.

This article painted something deeper, beyond Xs and Os. It was a good look at a bad relationship.

Archived