1[12]: Rashan Gary [EDGE; Michigan]

CWood21

Went back and was reading The Draft Network player evals on those we selected and a thought came to me as I read Garys:

Rashan Gary offers an intriguing tool box and his ceiling is high should he develop. His power, short area quickness and heavy hands lay a solid foundation to work with. That said, his hand technique, processing skills and inconsistent motor must improve. His lack of flexibility limits his upside as an every down EDGE so moving him up and down the defensive front is wise to maximize his ability to make an impact. By year three, Gary has the upside to be a productive starter in a multi-front defense. His pass rushing upside is considerably high from interior.

Sounds like the perfect player to sit next to Z in the locker room so he can learn, develop and polish his rushing tools. From the sounds of things, they're gonna be handling similar tasks.

Gary's not a "Burns-like" or CM or Landry or Winovich pass rusher. He's got the height of all the top EDGE guys - but 20-25  more pounds than most all of them. He's two inches shorter than Davenport - who's game is nothing but power and speed - yet he's 15 lbs heavier and probably just as fast. 

Edited by Leader

The thing about Gary, he has no red flags for performance enhancers. Sometimes you get those juiced up guys and they just aren’t as good as they looked on steroids. 

But Gary, you get the feeling he’s just a rare 280lb guy who can jump 38 inches. 

So physically, he’s just getting started. Worst case he’ll be a great run player, but he has potential to get after the passer too.

It seems to me he is big enough to play DE for us.  I read that he played out of position as a DE in college and that his best position in the NFL is probably DE. I take this to mean DE for the Pack in the 3-4 as opposed to Michigan's 4-3 DE.

Are we sure he is a OLB? I would like him to get on the field more than just obvious passing downs.

54 minutes ago, VegasDan said:

It seems to me he is big enough to play DE for us.  I read that he played out of position as a DE in college and that his best position in the NFL is probably DE. I take this to mean DE for the Pack in the 3-4 as opposed to Michigan's 4-3 DE.

Are we sure he is a OLB? I would like him to get on the field more than just obvious passing downs.

Could see packages where he and Z Smith are our interior rushers.

53 minutes ago, VegasDan said:

His athletic measurables would say he's and EDGE and a freak of one at that. I don't see the kid playing 3-4 DE for us, but could slide inside in situational passing packages. The thing is that happens to be what Z. Smith will be doing. 

Our pass rush could be dominant this year. Match that with the secondary we should have and it will be FUN to watch our defense again. Beats watching 3rd and long like you're terrified at an intense scene in a scary movie.