3[75]: Jace Sternberger [TE; Texas A&M]

Packerraymond

26 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

While watching Sternberger's highlights, I was a little surprised to see how 'small' he looked. Dude is tall enough but I think he needs to fill out a little bit so that he can help with blocking a little more.

I am still happy with this pick because I think he has the speed and size to play as WR if the TE position does not work out.

Yeah, I thought he looked more like the 235-240lb range tbh. 

Middle of the third round.  Not surprising that we didn't get a guy with All-Pro measurables who's an obvious favorite to become all-pro and be the best guy in the league.  If you get a capable average starter, that might be very good value for the round.  WE've had times when TE was just awful; so being decent-not-bad has some value.  And seems to have some qualities that might enable him to be a very good player, better than average.  

I'm very glad with the pick.  I'm pretty worried about the offense, so glad to add a guy who can potentially make catches and convert first downs, and who might be a quick study.   

Seems like he's a smooth, coordinated player who will catch the ball and figure out how to play, and has a lot of want-to.  Not a strong blocker, but sounds like he's willing to try and to get in the way, and he might add a little more strength.  

Think there is always a risk with "can always add power" prospects, though; sometimes a guy bulks up some, but in the process loses the speed and flexibility that made you interested in the first place.  So we'll see.  

Really glad he lasted and we got him.  Was really nervous he was going to get picked ahead of us, and that we'd be stuck waiting till round 5.  Hope he becomes a good player for us.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

Yeah, I thought he looked more like the 235-240lb range tbh. 

I read on one of his scouting reports that he played at about 240 for A&M, but bulked up to 251 for the combine. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Nauta as a Priority UDFA or a 7th rounder sits well with me. I've been his biggest advocate here.

Yeah he has that Gronk Kelce Bavaro Chmura attitude like he’s gonna stiff arm you through the ground.

Edited by fattlipp

7 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

Yeah he has that Gronk Kelce Bavaro Chmura attitude like he’s gonna stiff arm you through the ground.

He tested terribly but, whenever I watched UGA, he was a beast. Dude is just a dog and a football player. He may not last in the league but I'd give him a shot, no question.

Listening to Gute and Jon-Eric, it sounds like they had this guy in the top tier of TEs.

Jon-Eric said this guy is a late bloomer. He gained weight over the course of A&Ms season and is still filling out. That tells me his combine line is misleading if he’s still growing so much. He might be more athletic than those numbers suggest.

Kenny Clark is a guy who’s more athletic than his combine numbers showed. He came in soft and developing. If he tested now I’ll bet it’s a different story in some of those numbers.

So with guys who are 20 or develop late, you can’t fully trust the combine. Sometimes there is more to project. That’s what I read between the lines as i listened to Sullivan talk about jace. 

I agree with the Zach Ertz comparison. Ertz is a notch taller, broader in the shoulders and muscularly more defined than Sternberger but their playing styles are similar. He's not going to plow people over or outjump them but instead relies on his fluid feet to get open and steady hands to make plays. He looks disappointingly slight for a TE and has no real muscle definition. He probably going to have to go though the NFL conditioning program first before he can cope with the rigors of the NFL. 

I don't hate the pick but sometimes wish we could've gotten a guy with an outstanding physical trait whether it's size, height, speed or explosiveness, something that will give that player an edge in the NFL. All the best TEs in the NFL had an outstanding trait or two that enabled them to succeed. All of them can catch and get open but they also had an outstanding trait to go with it. With Sternberger it remains to be seen.

This was an anti Gute pick. I suspect this was a LaFleur pick. Best case scenario he plays up to the level of Ertz, that would be nice wouldn't it. xD

Edited by Chili

Definitely owe @Joe credit, I dismissed his selection of Sternberger in a mock because of the measurables. 

I think Gute has shown a willingness to pick average athletes if he believes in their tape - Madison last year, Sternberger this year. One of his big, physical comps is Brent Celek and I can see that. 

XfBbir4.jpg

A long way to go to be a good blocker. I do really like his YAC/comp of 8 yards.

Sternberger is smooth, but has some "will run you over". Based on receiving ability, my number two, very close to Sample overall. But his blocking was my downgrade on him.

Sample, Sternberger, Warring are pretty close (and Oliver just looks like a WR to me). Just thought they would lean towards the blocker.  And he's better -- read much safer-- than Fant. Fant has some bust and TE is not a position I'm risking a pick on. If he can block, he will be very good. I kind of expect another TE pick today and a WR and a RB. But those will be more BPA.

Gute is already ruing those 4s, very valuable in this draft especially.

Go back to Rich Rodgers draft. He was the number two TE in that draft. This group is waaaaay better. We got a good value here and a very good player, but Anthony Nelson was my steal at the pick. And Gute was wording it to say we definitely passed on talent and dialed in on TE, specifically Jace, here. The only pick of ours that wasn't BPA. Some amazing talent still on the board.

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Jace Sternberger  has speed, field speed. He is the exact opposite of Wisconsin's Troy Fumagalli. Where Fumagalli moves like a new-born moose, Sternberger is more like a weasel.

Hmmmmm....intriguing.

So we have Jace "The Weasel" Sternberger......

If The Draft Network were describing "weasel-like" movement skills.....how would that read? :)

And our other selections (?).....would they have animal characteristics worthy of a nickname?