2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

2 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

Incorrect 

They had 3 sacks early. Eversons was a good quick sack, Danielle beat a TE and Barr came on a blitz. 1 other sack the rest of the game, so unless you're telling me the Falcons packed it in for a whole half down 21 and didnt throw anymore show me how they didnt have time to throw. Ryan consistently had 4+ seconds after halftime. The Vikings straight up shut down those 2 first round wide receivers and Sanu, it's what Zimmer is good at.

Edited by HighCalebR

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

They had 3 sacks early. Eversons was a good quick sack, Danielle beat a TE and Barr came on a blitz. 1 other sack the rest of the game, so unless you're telling me the Falcons packed it in for a whole half down 21 and didnt throw anymore show me how they didnt have time to throw. Ryan consistently had 4+ seconds after halftime. The Vikings straight up shut down those 2 first round wide receivers and Sanu, it's what Zimmer is good at.

It's a high quality defense for sure.  I'm impressed that the Packers were able to fly out of the gate and hang 21 on them before they could get it contained.  That apparently was some impressive game planning that hasn't received the attention it deserves.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's a high quality defense for sure.  I'm impressed that the Packers were able to fly out of the gate and hang 21 on them before they could get it contained.  That apparently was some impressive game planning that hasn't received the attention it deserves.  

Shouldve been more as well. If this thing keeps progressing through the season itll be a real fun year.

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Totally agree.  Nobody says a word how KC scored 28 pts in a quarter last week and not a point thereafter.  Where's the outrage?  Only thing different was GB did it in quarter 1 and KC did it later.  We are 2-0.

7 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Totally agree.  Nobody says a word how KC scored 28 pts in a quarter last week and not a point thereafter.  Where's the outrage?  Only thing different was GB did it in quarter 1 and KC did it later.  We are 2-0.

Kansas City lead the NFL in scoring last year. Kind of helps stop the outrage.

Edited by Norm
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

I don’t think anyone is giving up on MVS. The guy has talent. He probably should be a 3rd wr right now (or 4th).

I think though we are getting to the point where the people (like me) who thought we were deficient at wr and wanted a guy in rounds 1-3 are at the I told you stage. There is A lot of late round  Viking wr confirmation bias on this board (X wr worked out and he was a late pick, MVS and ESB had some productiion as rookies, they are going to be stars). The fact is if you look at success rates that isn’t the case (like with all of our wr picks made after round 3 this century outside Driver and maybe mvs)

Comparing MVS to Driver is apples-to-oranges on a number of levels, but we saw the same kind of flashes out of MVS that we saw out of Driver. 

• 2 weeks later...

A while back my thinking was that we needed another decent safety (as a pick in the 2020 draft) to go with Savage and Amos, especially as Pettine runs DB heavy defense much of the time.

My thinking now is different. There was some talk of King at safety (I don't like that idea all that much, he's a bit skinny for a safety). I do  know that Josh Jackson is now playing some snaps at safety, a position I thought he might fit his skillset better than corner. With that in mind, and since I fully expect the veteran Tramon (who is 36) to be gone after this year, I think the need for a number 3 corner is greater than another safety. Not a first or second round pick, but anywhere after that.

The first two draft pick are probably OT and something else (RB, WR, DL, ILB or another safety/ILB hybrid). Mid round picks include TE (who can block, TEs are a weak position in 2020), RB (if not taken earlier), developmental OLB. Later picks might include a big DL run stuffer, kicker, any high RAS guy (LB/S/WR) who can play a good role on ST. QB could be a target almost anywhere (though probably not round one). if you like a a particular QB, go get him, because those who can play at an NFL level are few, even decent backups are hard to find. The odds of a QB outside round one panning out are small, but the rewards are huge if you do find a good one.

7 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

A while back my thinking was that we needed another decent safety (as a pick in the 2020 draft) to go with Savage and Amos, especially as Pettine runs DB heavy defense much of the time.

My thinking now is different. There was some talk of King at safety (I don't like that idea all that much, he's a bit skinny for a safety). I do  know that Josh Jackson is now playing some snaps at safety, a position I thought he might fit his skillset better than corner. With that in mind, and since I fully expect the veteran Tramon (who is 36) to be gone after this year, I think the need for a number 3 corner is greater than another safety. Not a first or second round pick, but anywhere after that.

The first two draft pick are probably OT and something else (RB, WR, DL, ILB or another safety/ILB hybrid). Mid round picks include TE (who can block, TEs are a weak position in 2020), RB (if not taken earlier), developmental OLB. Later picks might include a big DL run stuffer, kicker, any high RAS guy (LB/S/WR) who can play a good role on ST. QB could be a target almost anywhere (though probably not round one). if you like a a particular QB, go get him, because those who can play at an NFL level are few, even decent backups are hard to find. The odds of a QB outside round one panning out are small, but the rewards are huge if you do find a good one.

A little early for me an a CB although taking one after round 4 wouldn't be bad. We have Brown, Sullivan and Hollman who are young, developing guys. Let's see where their progress is by week 16 b4 we go down that road. 

If you want to bolster the DL here are two names to watch which appear to be late 1st round at this point in the proceedings: Raekwon Davis, Alabama (I'm not too high on 'Bama boys usually), Derrick Brown, Auburn. 

Should have a shot at one of the top 5-6 OTs who might be a good option as well. 

WR, I"m not fan of going in round one, but if we're in the 20's to 32 :D and value matches position, I'd be for it. I can't believe CBS has Henry Ruggs III rated #56 overall right now. Seems way too low. We should be able to get a good WR in round 2 or 3 with the depth in this draft though. 

Somewhere in this draft we have to get better at ILB. 

58 minutes ago, Golfman said:

If you want to bolster the DL here are two names to watch which appear to be late 1st round at this point in the proceedings: Raekwon Davis, Alabama (I'm not too high on 'Bama boys usually), Derrick Brown, Auburn. 

Should have a shot at one of the top 5-6 OTs who might be a good option as well. 

WR, I"m not fan of going in round one, but if we're in the 20's to 32 :D and value matches position, I'd be for it. I can't believe CBS has Henry Ruggs III rated #56 overall right now. Seems way too low. We should be able to get a good WR in round 2 or 3 with the depth in this draft though. 

Somewhere in this draft we have to get better at ILB. 

I'm huge on him, but I don't see him getting past pick 20. OT at 25-26, wherever we're drafting there, is more realistic. 

I know Pettine runs DB heavy, but don't you think it may be due to the lack of talent at ILB? Just a thought...