Trade Rumors

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

I have to think so, but I don't know what the holdup is. The local guys (John McClain, John Granato) are saying Clowney is "negotiating" with two teams and there is a deal in principle to move Clowney for a LT.

The two teams I've heard are Miami and Buffalo - and I've heard both Larmey Tunsil and Dion Dawkins mentioned as potential guys in return for him (along with some other assets, I would imagine).

I'd prefer Tunsil over Dawkins, if I'm being honest. Dawkins seems like a guy who needs a lot of quality players on the OL to look his best, whereas Tunsil has been steadily getting better with a hodgepodge unit around him. Dawkins fits the personality and versatility that the Texans want out of the their guys, where Tunsil might not be the "company line" guy the Texans desire, but is simply a better LT with less propensity to draw penalties (Dawkins with 13 holding penalties - that Julie'n Davenport-level bad).

I think it comes down to whichever team can convince Clowney to sign his tender. I'm sure any sort of agreements will be made with a wink and a handshake agreement, with ballpark figures agreed to for NEXT off-season.

If you move Clowney for Tunsil, that would be criminal, and it is very close that you guys should offer something to land and ascending LT talent.

As far as I read, Tunsil haven’t had issues related to work ethic or degressed in any way during his time with the Dolphins as he has developed into the tackle prospect most of us thought he was in the draft.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Why is Tunsil on the block if he’s an ascending young LT? 

I don't think he's on the block to anyone - it's gotta be for a guy like Clowney, along with a few pick swaps in Miami's favor (Houston's 2nd for Miami's 3rd, Houston's 4th for Miami's 6th, etc)

Miami looks as if they're in rebuild mode, and a swap of an ascending LT for an ascending edge is a wash. Getting a few higher selections along with that wash would be a nice turnaround.

1 hour ago, Danand said:

If you move Clowney for Tunsil, that would be criminal, and it is very close that you guys should offer something to land and ascending LT talent.

As far as I read, Tunsil haven’t had issues related to work ethic or degressed in any way during his time with the Dolphins as he has developed into the tackle prospect most of us thought he was in the draft.

You don’t trade an ascending talent at OL if all of your assumptions are correct. 

Miami will probably be awful this year with or without Clowney.

I think they would be bad but ascending the next year.

I am not sure why you need to play Clowney 40+ million for 2019 and 2020 f you have no chance to win.

If a team like Philly, New Orleans, Chicago, KC, or the Rams think they can win with him this year, then that would make more sense.

12 hours ago, ET80 said:

The Texans are not pressing to move Clowney ASAP. If they don't get exactly what they want (a starting calibur LT with upside) they keep Clowney this season, play him 16, tag him next off-season.

McCoy and a pick sounds nice in theory, but that's it.

I'm actually pretty good with this, assuming there's more to be added. Collins for Clowney straight up is not happening.

Collins is a below average LT, on par with Vaitai tbh.

4 minutes ago, Danger said:

Collins is a below average LT, on par with Vaitai tbh.

I'll admit, he looked pretty good against Watt and Mercilius this past week - maybe it's too little a sample size.

To be fair - from what I'm hearing lately, your hypothetical offer is going to be significantly better than what we actually get from Miami.

I'm going to hate this.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I'll admit, he looked pretty good against Watt and Mercilius this past week - maybe it's too little a sample size.

To be fair - from what I'm hearing lately, your hypothetical offer is going to be significantly better than what we actually get from Miami.

I'm going to hate this.

Hell I'll even up the RB offer to Corey Clement (had 100 + receiving yards and a receiving TD in the Super Bowl), you get a 2nd, your pick of Mailata (High potential but raw) or Vaitai which can serviceably play 4 out of 5 O-Line positions now, Agholor who's a good slot guy.

Clowney is a good not great player with leverage because he has to sign his tag before being traded.

Clowney himself wants the eagles or seahawks. I dont think the eagles make the trade. So that leaves you with what can you get from the seahawks?

honestly if the texans can get better than a 3rd round comp pick value in 2 years they should just pull the trigger. 

Edited by ninjapirate

1 minute ago, ninjapirate said:

Clowney is a good not great player with leverage because he has to sign his tag before being traded.

honestly if the texans can get better than a 3rd round comp pick value in 2 years they should just pull the trigger. 

I'm curious as to how close they ever were to an extension. It's interesting because we saw two other teams in KC and Seattle with similar situations who just went ahead and unloaded their guys in trade pretty early, allowing the acquiring team to get the extension done. 

I'm not sure if the Texans were trying for an extension, or if talks ever really got off the ground or what. I never heard that they were really digging into talks, but I'm not a Texans fan. The team did seem somewhat reticent to shell out big money this off season though. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm curious as to how close they ever were to an extension. It's interesting because we saw two other teams in KC and Seattle with similar situations who just went ahead and unloaded their guys in trade pretty early, allowing the acquiring team to get the extension done. 

I'm not sure if the Texans were trying for an extension, or if talks ever really got off the ground or what. I never heard that they were really digging into talks, but I'm not a Texans fan. The team did seem somewhat reticent to shell out big money this off season though. 

clowney fired his agent this week so things probably didnt go as he had planned