NFL arranges workout for QB Colin Kaepernick

RaidersAreOne

Fun fact: 

2 of his HC's are out of the league and embattled in their same positions in college

1 is a position coach for one of the league's bottom feeders

His QB coaches are now position coaches for other positions or out of the league altogether

Only 1 OC is still an OC. 

Not to make excuses because he did regress on the football field, but there is something to be said about the level of coaching he probably received when you look back. 

I doubt this goes anywhere given the length of time he's been out of the game, but his play didn't diminish any faster than the NFL prospects of most of the coaches who would have had the most to do with his progression as a QB. If he shows some solidly at his workout, there's plenty of teams in need of a capable backup/spot starter. And hey, who knows, maybe he really impresses. 

Out of curiosity, aside from Vick (who was in jail, not exactly at home capable of working out and stuff like Kaepernick), have we seen a QB with a multi year layoff return to average or bettet success? Only one I can think of off the top of my head is Josh McCown (though he played in a smaller league for a year and spent part of an off season with the 49ers over his hiatus from 2009-2011) and Matt Moore who spent 2018 out of the NFL. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheGame316 said:

Are you ignoring the fact that the 49ers regressed?

2015 his coach was Jim Tomsula.....JIM TOMSULA

Then he gets fired and he goes 1-10 with 1 year wonder Chip Kelly, and despite being on a 1-10 team, has his 2nd best statistical season in terms of rushing yards per game and TD/INT ratio

He also led his team to a Superbowl and almost won it, and if it wasn't for an unbelievable play by Richard Sherman, might have led his team to another

Wins/Loses are a team stat still. Sexy Rexy and Bortles led their teams deep in the playoffs.

Kaepernick was an average level starter, even with the regression. I don't see him matching that level 3 years out of football.

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

What's the point of presenting a link as evidence if you're going to make statements that aren't supported by the link you're referencing?  Genuine question.

Inflated TD numbers?  Exactly what are you using to justify that assessment.  Just looking at that particular season, his OL was poor - SF was on their 3rd or 4th center midway through the season, Josh Garnett was massively underachieving as a rookie guard.  Their receivers were also similarly injured to the point of a veritable Murderer's Row of Rod Streater, DeAndre Smelter, and Jeremy Kerley were the most recognizable names in the corps; going a step further the majority of RB snaps after Hyde went down injured went to Shaun Draughn and Mike Davis.

No one is claiming that Kaepernick was some outstanding QB.  But he was a serviceable starter who played well enough to take his team to multiple conference championship games and a Super Bowl.  But you're talking out your backside if you're trying to defend the likes of MItchell Trubisky, arguably Joe Flacco, and Mike Glennon (who got $15m per to be the presumptive starter in Chicago before they drafted Trubs) are more deserving starters based on performance in the seasons leading up to when they were acquired.

Reality is that his later football performance gets hyperbolically ragged on for reasons beyond football.

He was an average starter and definitely better than some QBs you mentioned.

Maybe I said that wrong. TD numbers are not always constant or truly indicative of a players success. Calvin Johnson got tackled multiple times at the one yard line the year he almost had 2k yards. Did he have a bad year? Of course not!

Edited by SteelKing728

10 minutes ago, KOTN-93 said:

No one sign him please. He just needs to go away.

The sure fire way of this happening is for him to be signed, he shows that he's not got it anymore and is actually a bad player, and is released. There could be no complain about any ulterior motives or anything if he just shows he's not up to it. This of course is no guarantee, as he may still be good! 

20 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

The sure fire way of this happening is for him to be signed, he shows that he's not got it anymore and is actually a bad player, and is released. There could be no complain about any ulterior motives or anything if he just shows he's not up to it. This of course is no guarantee, as he may still be good! 

Fair point it just feels like NFL virtue-signaling. Theres nothing to suggest he can still play. Its been what 3 years? His greatest asset were his physical skills which are highly unlikely to be the same after such a long layoff. 

19 minutes ago, KOTN-93 said:

Fair point it just feels like NFL virtue-signaling. Theres nothing to suggest he can still play. Its been what 3 years? His greatest asset were his physical skills which are highly unlikely to be the same after such a long layoff. 

Is that all it's been? Seems longer. 

10 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

As a back-up, I really wanted the Texans to get him in 2017 after Deshaun got hurt, and thought it was negligence by Rick Smith to not sign him and keep the Texans' season alive. I wouldn't mind if they got him now. I'd say he's probably better than AJ McCarron. He's a good option behind Russell Wilson, as well. 

Apparently Nuk felt the same way: https://www.google.com/amp/s/texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/03/deandre-hopkins-upset-texans-tryout-colin-kaepernick/amp/

It wasn't a possibility then, with that owner. Perhaps it's a possibility now?

12 hours ago, evilpimp972 said:

He's still better than Jay Cutler coming out of retirement, I would bet on that.

Or even Josh Jonhson who went 3 years without playing to start with the Redskins in 2018.

I would take him over Paxton Lynch in a second.

But I suspect that he will not accept an offer. Partly due to he may want to be a starter and partly do to my belief that part of his settlement with the NFL was that he not play again.

I would be wary of singing him as a backup. It may not be worth the media storm, much in the same way as Tebow wasn't.

If you think he can be a starter and win games, sure, sign him.

But its risky for Kap too. A lot of his political capital comes from the idea that he is too woke for the NFL and would be a quality starter still. If he flames out, he just becomes another political commentator and not a guy who has been kept down by the machine.

Regardless, I have some popcorn ready and think it will be a fun ride.

12 hours ago, sp6488 said:

You may be willing to bet that as a poster on FF, but I think it's legitimate for teams that would be bringing him in (and will have to deal with outcomes on and off the field) to want to verify these things. Why is the argument at hand that he doesn't need a workout or that teams shouldn't work him out?

Also, all the focus has shifted in this conversation to physical ability. I think the opportunity to interview him and gauge whether  he is actually interested in coming back is just as much a part of this event's potential value to teams.

I think teams need to start shifting the way they look at QBs (especially backups) in general.  It's great if you can find Brady, Manning, or Brees in a draft but those guys are rare.  If you don't have a top QB, instead of running out Joe Flacco teams should be looking at more athletic/mobile QBs like Jeff Driskel or Jalen Hurts.  Even if you're a Flacco fan, let's use an example like Chase Daniels.  The Bears are seeing Trubisky (and Nagy's scheme) waste a top tier defense.  Chase Daniels doesn't really offer anything so they are stuck with Trubisky.  If they had a backup like Kaep, I do think they would be a better team...

@DoleINGout , @BayRaider , @SteelKing728 and any I missed... Thanks for pointing out what was becoming obvious to some of us 9ers fans: 1) Kaep had trouble reading defenses, 2) He was a 1 read then run QB, and 3) Defenses were quickly figuring him out. It was very frustrating. We traded the wrong QB. 

Now, if Kaep was willing to play WR or TE....

• Like 3