General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

I always thought the $20 mil flying around here was way too high, 13 sounds right to me, it resets the TE market and that is what he is, is a TE. You could argue the position is undervalued but no way was the market going to be doubled from what it was previously. 

1 hour ago, Ftn49 said:

I always thought the $20 mil flying around here was way too high, 13 sounds right to me, it resets the TE market and that is what he is, is a TE. You could argue the position is undervalued but no way was the market going to be doubled from what it was previously. 

I don't know that anyone thought he would get 20 million...I do think that there's absolutely a case to be made that he is worth that amount compared to some of the receivers. I thought he would end up around 15 (which is still crushing the TE market). I do think he has a better case for 20 million than Jamal Adams does. 

But seriously, think about how underpaid he is even at 13 million when you consider that is what Alshon and Ty Hilton make, or that Brandin Cooks makes 3 million dollars more at over 16 million per season, or Jarvis Landry at over 15 million.  

• Like 1

The Athletic's Matt Barrows considers Trent Taylor the favorite to place third on the 49ers in receptions behind George Kittle and Deebo Samuel.

That's if Samuel is healthy. Taylor missed all of 2019 with the same injury Samuel has now, a Jones fracture. Taylor suffered multiple setbacks, ultimately undergoing five surgeries. NBC Sports Bay Area reported in April the Niners were still expecting "big things" from the 26-year-old slot man. Taylor caught 43 balls in 2017 and 26 in 2018. Considering Taylor's health woes and the Niners' crowded, if unsettled, receiver group, 40 is probably a realistic over/under.  

The Athletic's Matt Barrows reports Deebo Samuel (foot) is dealing with a "classic" Jones fracture.

Barrows reports the timeline is more in the 10-12 week range than the 12-16 that was initially reported. That could be the difference between beginning the season on the reserve/PUP list or not. Barrows does believe the team might exercise extreme caution with Samuel after Trent Taylor's recovery from a Jones fracture went awry last year. So far, Samuel has been sidelined for two weeks. 

The Athletic's Matt Barrows reports the 49ers have discussed an extension for contract-year WR Kendrick Bourne. 

Going on 25, Bourne will be playing on his restricted free agent tender this season. Bourne has proven to be invaluable depth for the 49ers' undermanned receiver corps over the past few seasons, though he committed some high-profile mistakes in 2019. Bourne has taken on greater 2020 importance in the wake of Deebo Samuel's foot injury. Any extension would be team-friendly, as Bourne will not be a hot commodity in next spring's free agent market. 

Raheem could also get an extension according to Barrows.

Edited by NcFinest9erFan
  • Like 1

Yeah, Mosert needs to strike while it's hot..but it's not that hot. Give him a raise, don't extend him. 

So many Edge Rushers man..if we could make a Ford/Tartt/not first round pick, but a pick..sort of deal for Adams, I'd do it. 

8 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I guess to most folks, Nike is the standard.

Both Bourne and Deebo are Nike sponsored so its probably just some friendly banter/shoe wars. Sanders was sponsored by Adidas last year and no one was clowing him. Probably a little rookie hazing thrown in there as well. 

• Like 1

May not be a popular topic, but an acknowledgement of what we all saw in the SB: 

The refs didn’t do the 49ers any favors in the recent Super Bowl loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. I didn’t know it was completely legal to constantly hold defensive lineman, but maybe the NFL changed the rules prior to the game, and didn’t announce it.

From this article: https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/7/2/21310861/the-worst-call-to-go-against-the-49ers

11 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

May not be a popular topic, but an acknowledgement of what we all saw in the SB: 

From this article: https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/7/2/21310861/the-worst-call-to-go-against-the-49ers

I remember Geoff Schwartz defending the no call hold on the 3rd and 15 play but I felt like he was a bit bias as his brother plays for KC and also I always thought if you hook that arm then its a hold. Oh well moving forward.

• Like 1