Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

mission27

1 minute ago, D82 said:

That's comforting.

Sorry about that

In other countries, the rate of infections / deaths slowed down and that's not an unreasonable expectation for US  -  but we're not at peak yet
Reality is that our lives are going to be very different for 3 - 6 more months, then just "different" after that. Good luck to you and your employer

My guess is that we will look back and note how life was different before corona, similar to how we say life was different before 911

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 12:53 PM, animaltested said:

I hope this pandemic forces the US to really reevaluate itself. School districts are resisting or delaying closure because segments of their student body depend on the school system for basic necessities like food, running water, shelter and supervision. 

While I don’t disagree that this will allow for good reflection on how we do things, kids’ necessities isn’t the only reason schools don’t want to close. 

Something no one talks about is that if schools wish to go online-only during this period, by law, they are required to give full education. Full meaning special education and speech and everything else. How many districts can afford to send in-home paras, special Ed teachers, and speech pathologists to every home that needs them? If a school can’t do that, then they have to completely close.

(I will abbreviate the evident things here, like closing schools means kids at school which means keeping some parents who are nurses and doctors at home, the inability to pay certified school employees [as it’s not legal to pay them when they’re not working], and all others.)

There are more problems than what people are wanting to complain about right now. 

I work at a major academic hospital in the Midwest. RN staff was told today to not plan any vacations until the end of April best case scenario and they need to be able to show up to work within 2 hours notice. Obviously, preparing for doomsday, but it sounds like we’re expecting it to hit the fan over the next few weeks. 

13 minutes ago, crfalker05 said:

I work at a major academic hospital in the Midwest. RN staff was told today to not plan any vacations until the end of April best case scenario and they need to be able to show up to work within 2 hours notice. Obviously, preparing for doomsday, but it sounds like we’re expecting it to hit the fan over the next few weeks. 

If only we'd taken proper measures when this all started...