Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Ok.

I want countless people to be out of a job, be unable to support their families, and potentially much worse so I can be 0.0001% safer in my bubble than I would be in my bubble anyways.

Well now that you've gone from trying to explain your position to making up numbers, I think we're probably done here. You don't want to have a good faith discussion. You want your burger.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

Ok.

I want countless people to be out of a job, be unable to support their families, and potentially much worse so I can be 0.0001% safer in my bubble than I would be in my bubble anyways.

I can only speak for myself here, but my Fiancee here in Oregon is making almost $900/week on unemployment ($600 from the CARES Act, $300 from state unemployment). If you're unemployed and still not receiving enough to get by right now on unemployment, idk what to tell you because it's pretty damn nice.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

Just now, JDBrocks said:

Well now that you've gone from trying to explain your position to making up numbers, I think we're probably done here. You don't want to have a good faith discussion. You want your burger.

My position is that if people are afraid to go out, or at risk are going to stay home, there is very little increase in the probability of them getting sick and dying than there is if they stay home and everyone else is forced to stay home as well. You can avoid the conversation because I used hyperbole all you want. Get off your moral high horse and realize that the shutdown is doing more harm than good.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I can only speak for myself here, but my Fiancee here in Oregon is making almost $900/week on unemployment ($600 from the CARES Act, $300 from state unemployment). If you're unemployed and still not receiving enough to get by right now on unemployment, idk what to tell you because it's pretty damn nice.

Two problems I have with this.

1. This actually ends soon. If you read up on it you'd know that it was only allocated to pay that additional $600 a week for 4 months. 
2. Further continuation of this kind of program leads to hyperinflation.

10 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I get that if you are high risk or live with someone high risk,  but if both people  have a mask on and generally breath in the same direction, how high of a risk is it?

I got a hair cut earlier this month, figured the place would follow precautions...nope.

The stylist turned out to be an anti-vaxxer, who was calling the whole thing a plan-demic, barely had her mask on (nose was out of her loose mask after she cut my hair for awhile). I'm not ever going back to that place.

I did my best to inform her, but doubt I changed her mind. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

Two problems I have with this.

1. This actually ends soon. If you read up on it you'd know that it was only allocated to pay that additional $600 a week for 4 months. 
2. Further continuation of this kind of program leads to hyperinflation.

Yep, benefits end on July 31 (which is still another month away).

Doesn't need to continue, I was just using it say that if you're unemployed you should have well enough to support your family right now if you're making unemployment. Now, if you're working a minimum wage job that's deemed "essential", we can talk.

Just now, KingVi said:

I got a hair cut earlier this month, figured the place would follow precautions...nope.

The stylist turned out to be an anti-vaxxer, who was calling the whole thing a plan-demic, barely had her mask on (nose was out of her loose mask after she cut my hair for awhile). I'm not ever going back to that place.

I did my best to inform her, but doubt I changed her mind. 

I got my hair cut also earlier this month when the place re-opened, but the ladies there were super awesome - wore masks and gloves and mandated that customers did too. Also had you fill out a COVID waiver (pretty much every place is doing this now if you're going to be near an employee for some extended period of time).

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I got my hair cut also earlier this month when the place re-opened, but the ladies there were super awesome - wore masks and gloves and mandated that customers did too. Also had you fill out a COVID waiver (pretty much every place is doing this now if you're going to be near an employee for some extended period of time).

Glad you had a good experience. This was a chain place near my house that I don't normally go to. I'm glad they get to work again, but take the rules seriously. 

55 minutes ago, Danger said:

What needs to happen is

1. Wash your damn hands, all the time, thoroughly.
2. Wear a damn mask.
3. Social distance (when possible)
4. Elderly, and those at serious risk stay home.

But things really can't stay closed any longer at this point IMO.

Well, places are closing again because governors are too concerned about catering to their political party. What needs to happen is states need to gain control of the spread, then they can talk about the other steps, but as of today- the spread is getting out of control in some areas- and unfortunately those states may have to reel it in a bit.

People also gloss over the fact that it isn't all about the death toll; this virus sends way too many people to ICUs. Until we have a treatment that can truly stop symptoms from progressing to such severity- then we are going to have to wear masks AND have government implemented regulations in place.

Finally, those at-risk to progress to severe stages are not going to be able to stay home unless the gov't can provide support for them until this pandemic is over, and that ain't happening. Walking around my units- I saw a lot of people in their 50s and 60s. According to a nurse that worked those units- many of them had hypertension or diabetes. There's no way we can tell those people to just stay home and lose their jobs. It's on the gov't to implement regulations that keep the spread to a minimum while also allowing businesses to keep their head above water. It wont be easy for many, but everyone please, please support your local businesses. Give them tips even if you pick-up. Whatever it takes. And, as you said, Danger- wear a f****** mask!

Edited by WizeGuy

Just now, KingVi said:

Glad you had a good experience. This was a chain place near my house that I don't normally go to. I'm glad they get to work again, but take the rules seriously. 

Ahhh yeah that might explain it. This was a local place, not a chain.

On the other hand, you should see what happened when my local gym opened back up. The day they opened, it was hundreds of people working out without masks or cleaning any equipment afterwards. I did one workout and peaced the F out.

1 minute ago, WizeGuy said:

People also gloss over the fact that it isn't all about the death toll; this virus sends way too many people to ICUs. Until we have a treatment that can truly stop symptoms from progressing to such severity- then we are going to have to wear masks AND government implemented regulations in place.

At least in PA, a lot of hospitals are pretty close to empty (outside of the actual city of Philly). 

If you're seeing a drastic upsurge in cases, and especially in hospitalizations, then I can understand the need to restrict things to a stronger degree, however if where you live has a fairly good handle on it now and absolutely manage then staying closed does more harm than good.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Ahhh yeah that might explain it. This was a local place, not a chain.

On the other hand, you should see what happened when my local gym opened back up. The day they opened, it was hundreds of people working out without masks or cleaning any equipment afterwards. I did one workout and peaced the F out.

When I get groceries in person, I go to the more expensive store in town, because they all wear masks and take **** seriously. Also, I stopped going to Home Depot because they give no eff's about it. No masks, make you self check out with no sanitizer at the stations, lots of customers that give you a dirty look for being masked. It's too bad, I liked Home Depot enough, but now go to another place that's not moronic.  

1 hour ago, seriously27 said:

But we are. Look at the numbers coming out now. We are at that two week mark after places have been opening up and Houston is already almost at ICU capacity again. You can act like everyone will just follow these rules but the actual facts show people are not. People don't were masks, they are out in large groups( Not even just the protesters either as facebook shows me people from all walks of life are idiots and like going to restaurants in groups of 10 or more). WE were given a chance to show that we can do this and save lives but everyone decided their comfort was more important. They decided politics and money were more important than people's lives and now we are right back were we started. You already stated we just have to let this "run it's course" which literally shows you are completely fine with 35 million people dying. All because YOU are not going to be one of them. 

Look at the numbers of that Houston ICU, only 28% of the beds is compromised of COVID patients. 

• Like 1