Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 hour ago, seriously27 said:

This is like the smoking ban in restaurants and food. It's the same idea as far as protecting the public.  

The virus is passed through the respiratory system through your mouth and nose. The mask blocks the viral load droplets from getting through the mask. On the other side, if you do come into contact with the virus, it can get in through many parts of your body. Basically any access to your blood stream. (Eyes, Cuts, etc)

I was under the impression that you had to touch your face to really get it through the eyes

1 hour ago, theJ said:

The virus itself is small, so if it actually gets out in the air, and you breath it through your mask, the mask isn't going to filter it at that point.  Even an N95 or N100 mask won't filter it.

Not that simple.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/06/11/fact-check-n-95-filters-not-too-large-stop-covid-19-particles/5343537002/

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Ehhh...I think many of the cities upstate have very low levels of immunity. I remember the first study out of NY had my region around 4% with developed antibodies. That was prior to reopening- so I'm sure it's gone up a bit, but I'd assume its only slightly increased given how we've flattened the curve. 

That's true, but if you look at the south the big problem areas are unsurprisingly metros (Miami, Houston, Phoenix). Doesnt mean the virus isn't in rural communities but it is less of a problem in rural communities. In the north, all our major metros have had huge waves already and 15-20% have antibodies in New York, Boston, Chicago, and DC. Given studies showing a large portion of the population may have had partial immunity to begin with due to recent prior exposure to a common cold coronavirus, 15-20% could be meaningful, and may explain why the northeast and Europe has had so much success keeping cases low as they have re-opened.

Clearly public policy and attitudes matter a lot but based on the experience of places like SoCal and Israel, I suspect Florida, Arizona, and Texas were going to have problems even if they did all of the right things. Doing all of the wrong things has absolutely made this worse.

3 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Why is it that masks protect other people but not the wearer? Do that many droplets get around the edges of the mask? It seems like the lower velocity of air coming from other people would make it more likely that it wouldn't get through the mask

I believe @Heimdallr posted this before, but imagine you and a bunch of other people are standing in a circle and all start peeing. If no one is wearing pants, everyone is going to get peed on. If you wear pants, but no one else does, you're still going to get peed on, even through your pants, but you're not going to be able to pee on anyone else. If everyone is wearing pants, everyone is just going to pee on themselves and largely completely miss everyone else. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, pwny said:

I believe @Heimdallr posted this before, but imagine you and a bunch of other people are standing in a circle and all start peeing. If no one is wearing pants, everyone is going to get peed on. If you wear pants, but no one else does, you're still going to get peed on, even through your pants, but you're not going to be able to pee on anyone else. If everyone is wearing pants, everyone is just going to pee on themselves and largely completely miss everyone else. 

I have seen this before.  It's a solid comparison but I feel like my pants would stop a lot of the pee coming in

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

I have seen this before.  It's a solid comparison but I feel like my pants would stop a lot of the pee coming in

Sure. But you don’t need all of the pee to get through for your leg to feel wet, nor do you need all of the virus to get through to get you sick.

It’s also an example that ignores inhalation and only expresses transport via exhalation. You also have to factor that you’re inhaling from the dry side, which is going to pull the droplets through the fabric. 

32 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Sister is a school teacher in NY and they will be teaching until Christmas from home. And one of the state campuses have announced the fall semester will be online only.

Our school system hasn't decided, but in my county alone, 3500 kids can not access learning from home despite all kids receiving chromebooks a week after shutdown.  I don't know the answer here, but kids are going to be left behind if this continues past Christmas.  

There are some solutions.  Go one week to school, off for two weeks while other groups of kids come in.  Set it up like telework for days of the week and rotate it around.  I've even heard of having middle and high school have distance learning, while elementary schools take over those school campuses so the younger kids can get social interaction and be socially distanced.  

One thing is for sure though......if hospitals and other businesses struggled at the beginning getting PPE for everyone, I don't see how teachers and support staff are going to be covered.  Hell, teachers don't even get a stipend for all they spend on their classroom materials.  

5 hours ago, mission27 said:

Something that's gotten lost in the surge in the south is what's happening in Israel:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/israel/

Israel did everything right, got cases down from 700 a day to 20 a day. Now after re-opening they are back to 700 a day. 

Israel is around the same latitude as Texas and Arizona, has a very similar climate to the southern US and is a rich country with air conditioning. This is unlike a lot of other countries at that latitude. 

Obviously public policy plays a role, but like with the first surge in March this seems to be very climate driven. Places like the northern US, Canada, and Europe where people spend more time outside in the early summer than any other time of the year have had an easier time re-opening. Places where it gets so hot in the summer that people flea inside to the AC are actually doing worse.

Which is why I am happy my work got a system for the AC units at every store.  More places should invest in that.  

Another issue I see are the pictures I think @Shanedorf posted where it is cold and the droplets are hanging in the air from the football players breathing.  Imagine being at a gym right now with everyone breathing heavily and walking around.  Gyms and movie theaters, where people are going to be for quite a length of time, even if socially distanced, are going to be a big problem.  Churches are the same way, as most services last at least an hour.  That choir in Seattle is a perfect example and similar to gyms in a sense of where breathing is concerned.