Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

I just heard that my cousin's fiance died from COVID complications. She was otherwise healthy as far as I know. I believe she caught it working in the hospital. I didn't know her (they live out of state) so emotionally it isn't affecting me personally. But it is a grim reminder of how real this is.

Welp, I'm pretty mucb a shoo-in for the vaccine trial at this point. I had a meeting with one of the researchers in the trial, and she said Id hear from them in 2-3 weeks. It's for the Oxford vaccinez btw, which I am more comfortable getting injected with. 

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I just heard that my cousin's fiance died from COVID complications. She was otherwise healthy as far as I know. I believe she caught it working in the hospital. I didn't know her (they live out of state) so emotionally it isn't affecting me personally. But it is a grim reminder of how real this is.

Yeah sorry to hear about this. It is a grim reminder. Sometimes I just get so frustrated with people when they don’t take it seriously because it’s not real until it hits their bubble.

19 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Welp, I'm pretty mucb a shoo-in for the vaccine trial at this point. I had a meeting with one of the researchers in the trial, and she said Id hear from them in 2-3 weeks. It's for the Oxford vaccinez btw, which I am more comfortable getting injected with. 

Keep us updated on this. Never known the process of what it's like and also how you're feeling assuming you'll be allowed to talk about it. Not sure how private they'll make you be regarding it.

• Like 1

Oh boy. This school district is in the Atlanta area. The sooner people accept that having in person classes is a terrible idea, the sooner we can start going in the right direction.

The situation in Gwinnett is fluid, GCPS spokeswoman Sloan Roach told CNN in an email Sunday evening.

"As of last Thursday, we had approximately 260 employees who had been excluded from work due to a positive case or contact with a case," Roach said. "This number is fluid as we continue to have new reports and others who are returning to work," she added.

Source

• Like 2

So...a couple of friends came up with the plan for their 7th graders and they are setting up a "DLT"

Distance Learning Together. Its a cohort of 10 families that have all agreed to a sheltering / sequestered arrangement. Basically, the families agreed to limit their exposure as much as possible. The 10 kids will all go to one backyard with two huge tents/gazebo's and they'll do their distance learning together. They'll include some recess play time and let the kids hang out together - but they won't be in contact with anybody else. So they get some social interaction, but aren't exposed to an entire school and the school is responsible for the curriculum. Its just that instead of 10 kids sitting in their own homes online, they'll be together

Kind of a cool idea

• Like 4

11 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Keep us updated on this. Never known the process of what it's like and also how you're feeling assuming you'll be allowed to talk about it. Not sure how private they'll make you be regarding it.

Will do! 

6 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

So...a couple of friends came up with the plan for their 7th graders and they are setting up a "DLT"

Distance Learning Together. Its a cohort of 10 families that have all agreed to a sheltering / sequestered arrangement. Basically, the families agreed to limit their exposure as much as possible. The 10 kids will all go to one backyard with two huge tents/gazebo's and they'll do their distance learning together. They'll include some recess play time and let the kids hang out together - but they won't be in contact with anybody else. So they get some social interaction, but aren't exposed to an entire school and the school is responsible for the curriculum. Its just that instead of 10 kids sitting in their own homes online, they'll be together

Kind of a cool idea

My supervisor is doing similar thing.  4 families,  10 total kids.  His wife is supervising 2 days, other 3 families 1 day each.  

Kids get interaction, recess, collaboration with learning.  Families get shared responsibility for supervising the learning with less disruption of work schedule.

Just need to boost their wi-fi capabilities at his house.

7 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Kind of a cool idea

We'll be doing the same thing, provided our school comes to their senses and cancels in-person school.  We already have the family lined up we're partnering with.  My wife is going to teach the kids (1 each of K, 1st, 2nd grade), and her friend is going to watch the littles (3 yo, 2 yo).

While the school age kids are doing their individual work, my wife can prep her online lesson plans for her 4th grades.

https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/news/neurorx-relief-aviptadil-data/

Looks like we're finding a lot of treatments for critically ill patients which is fantastic but I'd be even more excited if we could find something for mild to moderate cases.

Same treatment:

https://www.neurorxpharma.com/news/fda-approves-expanded-access-to-wilmington-companys-experimental-covid-19-therapy/

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

@rob_shadows how you doing in that state next door to me? 

@Forge anything ever materialize w/ your kid's doctor visit? You and the fam good?

GF got her test back yesterday and it was negative. As a precaution, the RBT is taking the next week off so won't be working with the kid, but yeah, I think we are good (hopefully). Appreciate you asking. 

• Like 3

This is sort of horrifying and infuriating.  The American Academy of Pediatrics put out guidelines for returning to in-person school.  A lot of schools are following the advice given in this column.

https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/clinical-guidance/covid-19-planning-considerations-return-to-in-person-education-in-schools/

The advice basically boils down to try to wear masks, and try to separate the kids, but also pushes for a return to in-person school (as opposed to pushing for online school).

Their guidelines are based on the data in this study highlight: https://www.aappublications.org/sites/default/files/additional_assets/aap_files/AAPSummary-COVID-19-Pediatric-Research-Highlights-7.14.20.pdf

Which basically shows that kids are unlikely to have severe symptoms.  Fine, agreed with that.  But it also shows that kids are just as likely, if not more so, to test positive for coronavirus IF tested.  It also shows that ~6% of all positive tests are attributed to children under 18, however the testing volume is lower than 6% of total tests.  Meaning?  There are tons of asymptomatic kids out there not getting tested.

The highlight also makes no mention of kids ability to transmit the virus.  Yet even without that knowledge they're recommending that we put them all in a confined room for 7 hours/day? (this is really the infuriating the part).  This seems like a critical piece of information in the decision making, yet it's not even a consideration.

I'm upset reading this because this is the criteria my wife's school is following.  And while they've given the parents the option of homeschooling for the semester, they've not once asked the teachers if they're comfortable returning to work.

14 minutes ago, theJ said:

This is sort of horrifying and infuriating.  The American Academy of Pediatrics put out guidelines for returning to in-person school.  A lot of schools are following the advice given in this column.

https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/clinical-guidance/covid-19-planning-considerations-return-to-in-person-education-in-schools/

The advice basically boils down to try to wear masks, and try to separate the kids, but also pushes for a return to in-person school (as opposed to pushing for online school).

Their guidelines are based on the data in this study highlight: https://www.aappublications.org/sites/default/files/additional_assets/aap_files/AAPSummary-COVID-19-Pediatric-Research-Highlights-7.14.20.pdf

Which basically shows that kids are unlikely to have severe symptoms.  Fine, agreed with that.  But it also shows that kids are just as likely, if not more so, to test positive for coronavirus IF tested.  It also shows that ~6% of all positive tests are attributed to children under 18, however the testing volume is lower than 6% of total tests.  Meaning?  There are tons of asymptomatic kids out there not getting tested.

The highlight also makes no mention of kids ability to transmit the virus.  Yet even without that knowledge they're recommending that we put them all in a confined room for 7 hours/day? (this is really the infuriating the part).  This seems like a critical piece of information in the decision making, yet it's not even a consideration.

I'm upset reading this because this is the criteria my wife's school is following.  And while they've given the parents the option of homeschooling for the semester, they've not once asked the teachers if they're comfortable returning to work.

Unfortunately, a lot of schools are playing politics. They know they’ll be shut down within a month or two of going back so they’re opening to appease parents knowing that it’ll never succeed. They just want to be able to say “Hey, we tried!”.

The "data" and commentary from the CDC is manipulated to further the goals of the current administration, that's unfortunate but its not unknown
But even their "data" says 0.3% of the COVID deaths are children and from the data listed - that translates to 317 kids who died of COVID
317 is a lot of children. That's 3x more kids than have been killed in all of the school shootings over the last 10 years

• Like 2