2020 Day 1 NFL Draft Thread (NO SPOILERS!)

CWood21

9 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

We 100% need an immediate impact prospect with 62.  No tight ends (take too long).  WR probably won’t do either.  Need an ILB, run plug IDL or OL.  

The only ILB worth taking in the 2nd went 27th overall somehow.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

If he has some self-awareness he’ll understand he just landed in a very good situation with high expectations and time to grow. 

Except for the part where all the fans hate his guts 

I don't think all fans hate his guts.  They have nothing against the player, they just wanted Gute to address more obvious needs instead.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You're the one who is complaining that we haven't drafted a skill position in the first round since Javon Walker despite the fact that we've had better success drafting and developing WRs using less resources.

Stop living in the past. 

4 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I don't think all fans hate his guts.  They have nothing against the player, they just wanted Gute to address more obvious needs instead.

True.  But it's not going to stop significant numbers of fans booing everytime Love misses a pass just to "stick it" to Gute and express their dissatisfaction.

Whether you like the Jordan Love pick or not, the fact remains we entered the draft with big needs at WR, ILB, OT and DT...even arguably TE. At least four or five important position needs that can only be addressed by picking at the end of each of the first four or five rounds. Yet our first and most important pick just went for a backup quarterback, AND it cost us our fourth round pick. None of the important position needs are filled yet. That leaves us with just selections in Rounds 2, 3 and 5 to address the five needs. Sure, it can be argued that we can use up our 6th and 7th round picks to move around, but the truth is that the late round picks have little value. At least for me, you just can't subtract 5 from 3. I could be wrong, but I would have supported a trade back for extra picks. Maybe Gute intends to trade Love early tomorrow to Indy or Jacksonville? Otherwise, I would rather have had a first round pick playing major minutes right away, instead of a guy sitting on the bench for three years. Hope that Love turns out to be all-world.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I certainly dont hate Love's guts. Dont know the guy but in short order will become as hopeful for him as I do any/all other GB players. Given his positional importance and what he represents......perhaps a bit more.

It would be a nice luxury to have the future QB on the roster already. A bit more "overlap" than I'd anticipated being the case.....but thats how the draft cookie crumbled....I guess....or moreso, from the way this thing broke, it lends credence to all the pre-draft hype about Love and the Packers. 

I guess sometimes its not all smoke and mirrors.....and in retrospect, it does look like GB jumping up to nab him was to thwart other more QB needy teams trading into position to get him. 

29 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I'm sure when Rodgers is finally traded or released that Love will get the same treatment Rodgers did when Ted and Mike didn't welcome Favre back after he retired and changed his mind, so at least at that point we'll get to see how mentally tough he is.

Edited by MaximusGluteus

7 minutes ago, Gypsy1027 said:

Whether you like the Jordan Love pick or not, the fact remains we entered the draft with big needs at WR, ILB, OT and DT...even arguably TE. At least four or five important position needs that can only be addressed by picking at the end of each of the first four or five rounds. Yet our first and most important pick just went for a backup quarterback, AND it cost us our fourth round pick. None of the important position needs are filled yet. That leaves us with just selections in Rounds 2, 3 and 5 to address the five needs. Sure, it can be argued that we can use up our 6th and 7th round picks to move around, but the truth is that the late round picks have little value. At least for me, you just can't subtract 5 from 3. I could be wrong, but I would have supported a trade back for extra picks. Maybe Gute intends to trade Love early tomorrow to Indy or Jacksonville? Otherwise, I would rather have had a first round pick playing major minutes right away, instead of a guy sitting on the bench for three years. Hope that Love turns out to be all-world.

We have our starting OTs in Bakhtiari and Wagner.

We have our starting ILB in Kirksey. 

We have a passable set of WRs.

Our DL isn't great, but the consensus seems to be that all we need is a run plug. 

If you were going into the draft thinking you were going to find an answer in those spots you were going to be dissapointed. Penciling in any rookie beyond a first round pick is a bad assumption. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We have our starting OTs in Bakhtiari and Wagner.

We have our starting ILB in Kirksey. 

We have a passable set of WRs.

Our DL isn't great, but the consensus seems to be that all we need is a run plug. 

If you were going into the draft thinking you were going to find an answer in those spots you were going to be dissapointed. Penciling in any rookie beyond a first round pick is a bad assumption. 

X2. Our biggest need, DL wasnt going to be assuaged after Kinlaw went. All the other spots are passable for a year or two.

Probably why I'm not upset about this pick. The guys I wanted wouldve either started on the bench or would have been at a less than premium position. Just wish we didnt have to trade up for it.

Lot of ball game left to this draft. Lets see if we can work it.