Trey Lance might be the best QB prospect in the 2021 NFL Draft...

VanS

On 10/1/2020 at 11:03 AM, Tetsujin said:

Lance is a nice intriguing prospect but now I think he's getting overrated. 

He's a scary prospect when you watch his overall tape instead of just the highlights, he throws so few passes for a QB. 

It'll be interesting to see what they do in his game this year.... Part of me hopes they are going to throw it 40x to really showcase the kid's arm and ability to read the field and just generally try and answer the biggest questions I'd have about him as a prospect.

That said, he's going to want to play to his strengths, and showcasing his running ability /athleticism with limited, but efficient passing opportunities is kind of his brand. 

On 10/3/2020 at 9:38 AM, Epyon said:

He's a scary prospect when you watch his overall tape instead of just the highlights, he throws so few passes for a QB. 

It'll be interesting to see what they do in his game this year.... Part of me hopes they are going to throw it 40x to really showcase the kid's arm and ability to read the field and just generally try and answer the biggest questions I'd have about him as a prospect.

That said, he's going to want to play to his strengths, and showcasing his running ability /athleticism with limited, but efficient passing opportunities is kind of his brand. 

Yeah, I wasn't that impressed by him on Saturday. He definitely has intriguing physical tools as a guy with a big arm and good mobility. He made a couple of nice throws and showed off his arm strength but was inaccurate for most of the day and even some of his biggest completions were to guys that were literally wide open. He's definitely one of the better running quarterbacks we've had come out in a few years though. 

As you said it's scary to see how few passes he throws as a quarterback, he has only had 30+ attempts twice and 20+ completions once in his time at NDSU. 

I'd be pretty scared to invest a top 10 or 15 pick into him as an NFL team. He'll leave college with only 17 career starts having only averaged 19 passing attempts per game in that limited experience. Not to mention he'll have played 1 game in 20 months leading up to the 2021 NFL season. If you are going to take him early I think you have to give him a redshirt year where he can get comfortable in an NFL system. I don't know if he'll make it that far down the board but New England could be a good landing spot for him, especially if they bring back Cam on a short term extension. 

Obviously Cam played against much better competition in the SEC but their college numbers are eerily similar. 

Cam - 185/280 (66.1%), 2,854 yards, 30 TD, 7 INT, 10.2 Y/A, 182.0 QBR | 264 carries, 1,473 yards (5.6 ypc), 20 TD

Lance - 192/287 (66.9%), 2,786 yards, 28 TD, 0 INT, 9.7 Y/A, 180.6 QBR | 169 carries, 1,100 yards (6.5 ypc), 14 TD 

17 minutes ago, VanS said:

Trey Lance is special.  He looks more like Steve McNair now than Donovan McNabb.  

He's officially my QB1 for 2021 ahead of Trevor Lawrence.  I'm that sold on him. 

Just out of curiosity is this more so on last year's tape? Hard to gauge out or 1 game but that wasn't the best showing on Saturday. Didn't exactly make me feel better about him (although also didn't make me against the idea of nabbing him).

As a fan of a team with a potential QB need likely picking top 5-10, I'm genuinely curious.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Just out of curiosity is this more so on last year's tape? Hard to gauge out or 1 game but that wasn't the best showing on Saturday. Didn't exactly make me feel better about him (although also didn't make me against the idea of nabbing him).

As a fan of a team with a potential QB need likely picking top 5-10, I'm genuinely curious.

Based on how he looked last year and this year.  I'm big on players who show marked improvements on their physique.  He looks way bigger and stronger this year.  Athletically still elite.  And the arm talent is special.

I don't care a lot about the results of his game yesterday.  Players sometimes have off games.  What stays consistent however is the QBs size, strength, athleticism, and arm talent from game to game.  Its why I focus on physical traits when evaluating a prospect over the game to game results. 

Lance had great tape last year, and all the tools in the world that you want. Only having one game this year, and not exactly having a great game in that game might push him as low as the 18-22 range. When, in reality, very possible he would of been a Top 5 pick if played a full season. Someone is going to get a massive steal on Trey Lance in the 2021 draft due to the coronavirus pandemic. 

59 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Meh. The NFL draft isn't about what a guy is right now, it's about what he projects to be in the future and Lance has elite tools. 

https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/3/22/17150308/2018-nfl-scouting-report-scouting-wyoming-quarterback-josh-allen

That article reminded me of the pre-draft evaluations of Josh Allen coming out of Wyoming. Big, mobile, strong arm, with high upside but had trouble with reads, ball placement, accuracy, pocket presence and has a lack of experience, particularly against high end talent. 

He's definitely a boom/bust prospect but the upside is undeniable. QB's are almost always over drafted and I'd almost guarantee that he goes high in the 1st round if he declares. 

6 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

This is a guy you draft towards the middle/end of the 1st round to develop behind a Rivers/Ben/Brady/etc.

My thoughts as well.  I think Lance could really be a great NFL QB, but he's not a guy you can expect to be there right out of the gate.  He's gonna take some time.  That wait very likely could be worth it, though.  I like him a lot more than Jordan Love last year, as a similar kind of "tooled-up but raw" QB prospect.