2021 Draft Talk

swede700

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

You never watched Dak at Miss State if you think he is a run only QB coming out of college as a senior.  Stop making excuses?  Reality is I doubt you have watched Miami much or follow prospects that closely at all regardless of who they play for.  If King was a run only QB why did he throw for over 400 yards the last game they played?  Reality is offenses have changed and if Kyler can do it in the NFL in the right system so can King, smaller QB, strong arm, used in the RPO game and moved around the pocket to open windows for them because of their height.  Lamar Jackson is a run first QB to some, cannon arm but not a great passer, and he was the MVP last season.

And like I said, Boise State I have not seen play this season yet until the BYU game, and after watching that D, who was missing some guys, few if any will play in the NFL unlike years previous for Boise State who each year had a pro or two potentially on the D.  Yeah same people probably loved KJ Costello week 1 against LSU, same ones who did not know Stingley was not playing, they were missing many starters off the defense and the ones that were in there are some what overrated recruits at this point who have not proven much.  Thus what Costello did mattered greatly to the competition he was up against, and that has shown up with how crap he has been the rest of this season.

Oh and Kyler Murray basically lead his team in rushing or was tied with the leading rusher in college at each around 1000 yards, oh and leads his NFL team in rushing currently.  Oh and Lamar Jackson lead his team in rushing in college and is currently now the leading rush on his team in the NFL as well.  So how is a running QB bad exactly?  And no King is not a run only QB, last time I checked run only QBs cannot pass the ball at a high level, someone like say Eric Couch for example.  

Anything else you want to misinterpret?  

Is King like Russell Wilson, Mahomes or Rodgers the best QBs in the game?  No but neither is Zach Wilson.  King would be a steal and a half in the 3rd or 4th round, but possibly is not right of the system, depends on how much RPO they want to run in the offense which is probably not a ton.  

First off, I never said Dak was a running QB. He got hurt on play that was designed for him to run. Only play in my playbook for a QB to run is a QB sneak for a yard.

And again, you didn’t answer my Question? Look at the division leaders. Why isn’t Arizona or Baltimore on top in there division? 

How about Big Ben and Drew Brees. They are leading the way just by sitting in there pockets and doing there job..

Don’t say the game is changing when the same guys are on top every year. You have to be an elite passer. When Murray and Jackson find there way on to the IR, don’t say I didn’t tell you so.. look at the top backs that got hurt this year. Barkley and MaCaffery just to start. Cook was there for a week as well. 

QB’s are paid to throw the ball. Let’s hope our team is smart enough to realize that. 

59 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Should we look at any receivers or are we okay with Johnson/Beebe?

They don't get many opportunities but seem decent. 

Beebe can easily be replaced and hope that he is, I simply do not trust him to field punts and he is 1 play away from another injury.  Johnson has been inexplicably missing.  After coming into 2020 as #2 on the depth chart I don't think he has seen much PT since week 2.  I don't want him ahead of JJ but he should be #3.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

First off, I never said Dak was a running QB. He got hurt on play that was designed for him to run. Only play in my playbook for a QB to run is a QB sneak for a yard.

And again, you didn’t answer my Question? Look at the division leaders. Why isn’t Arizona or Baltimore on top in there division? 

How about Big Ben and Drew Brees. They are leading the way just by sitting in there pockets and doing there job..

Don’t say the game is changing when the same guys are on top every year. You have to be an elite passer. When Murray and Jackson find there way on to the IR, don’t say I didn’t tell you so.. look at the top backs that got hurt this year. Barkley and MaCaffery just to start. Cook was there for a week as well. 

QB’s are paid to throw the ball. Let’s hope our team is smart enough to realize that. 

QB's are paid to throw the ball?  But the Vikings pay Kirk Cousins an absolute ton of money, but they have have won two games in a row and they threw the ball a combined 34 times and ran it 68 times.

I agree running QBs are at greater risk of injury no question about it, but Robert Griffen the III played only a few years back, he was done physically after a few years because of the rules of football.  Now QBs do not get hit nearly as often and in general players do not get hit as impactfully as before so little dudes like Kyler Murray can survive when a few years back like I said they had no chance at all because of how players were allowed to hit others players.  So the game is easier and guys like Lamar and Kyler have been pretty durable I think for leading their teams in running yards this year and taking a ton of contact.  But yeah they are not Patrick Mahomes, no one says they are.

The question was is D'Eriq King draftable and I say absolutely in this day and age.  And last time I checked you never asked a question, just said you want a QB who can pass and apparently disregard any athletic ability or running ability they have at all as if that means nothing.

The ability to scramble and extent the play is part of the game in all of these up coming NFL draft QB prospects.  A few it is a massive part of there game, think they will not be drafted just because of that?

Justin Fields Ohio State JR
Trey Lance North Dakota State RS SOPH
Kellen Mond Texas A&M
D'Eriq King Miami FL RS
Sam Ehlinger Texas

Could even include these guys as well arguably.

Trevor Lawrence Clemson JR
Kyle Trask Florida RS
Zach Wilson BYU JR
Ian Book Notre Dame RS
Feleipe Franks Arkansas RS
Peyton Ramsey Northwestern RS

If there is a position change from QB to WR in this draft it would be Armani Rogers of Ohio formerly on UNLV.

34 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

QB's are paid to throw the ball?  But the Vikings pay Kirk Cousins an absolute ton of money, but they have have won two games in a row and they threw the ball a combined 34 times and ran it 68 times.

I agree running QBs are at greater risk of injury no question about it, but Robert Griffen the III played only a few years back, he was done physically after a few years because of the rules of football.  Now QBs do not get hit nearly as often and in general players do not get hit as impactfully as before so little dudes like Kyler Murray can survive when a few years back like I said they had no chance at all because of how players were allowed to hit others players.  So the game is easier and guys like Lamar and Kyler have been pretty durable I think for leading their teams in running yards this year and taking a ton of contact.  But yeah they are not Patrick Mahomes, no one says they are.

The question was is D'Eriq King draftable and I say absolutely in this day and age.  And last time I checked you never asked a question, just said you want a QB who can pass and apparently disregard any athletic ability or running ability they have at all as if that means nothing.

The ability to scramble and extent the play is part of the game in all of these up coming NFL draft QB prospects.  A few it is a massive part of there game, think they will not be drafted just because of that?

Justin Fields Ohio State JR
Trey Lance North Dakota State RS SOPH
Kellen Mond Texas A&M
D'Eriq King Miami FL RS
Sam Ehlinger Texas

Could even include these guys as well arguably.

Trevor Lawrence Clemson JR
Kyle Trask Florida RS
Zach Wilson BYU JR
Ian Book Notre Dame RS
Feleipe Franks Arkansas RS
Peyton Ramsey Northwestern RS

If there is a position change from QB to WR in this draft it would be Armani Rogers of Ohio formerly on UNLV.

And I agree. I’m all for a QB that has a great all around arm and can move when he has too to extend the play. 

The perfect mold is Russell Wilson. He, to me, is one of the smartest QB’s in the league. He knows what to do all the time and can do everything you Ask him to do. I love that. 

As for this draft, it would be great to get one of Lawrence or Fields. But they are going 1-2 and we won’t have either pick. Next on my list would be Zach Wilson followed by Trask and then Ehlinger. Little concerned about Trask’s ability to scramble. 

Also, I’m not even sure the Vikings are even thinking about a 1st round QB. It will be interesting..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Nothing wrong with taking a flyer on one in the 4-7th rounds.

I wouldn't mind a 6'4, 220 pounder

I think a receiver that compliments Theilen and Jefferson would be great.  If he is a red zone only type guy that's fine since they don't run a ton of 3 WR sets.  I would love Tamorrion Terry in the 3rd or 4th.  I think he's pretty raw still but he flashed a lot last year and I don't think he left FSU on great terms so he may drop.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

I think a receiver that compliments Theilen and Jefferson would be great.  If he is a red zone only type guy that's fine since they don't run a ton of 3 WR sets.  I would love Tamorrion Terry in the 3rd or 4th.  I think he's pretty raw still but he flashed a lot last year and I don't think he left FSU on great terms so he may drop.

As far as I know now, he is no longer with the program.  Sucks because Terry is a super talented kid but has had an awful season and obviously does not fit that team well with their terrible QB play.  I could see him dropping from being a 1st round pick to a 2nd round but but not beyond that.  Maybe 3rd round but doubt it.  

Not sure it is worth getting a WR in the 2nd or 3rd though honestly unless they want to move on from Thielen which would be stupid.  There are a ton of receivers they could get that could be a good value.  Kadarius Toney could be late 2nd or 3rd round and would provide much needed speed.  So would Tylan Wallace or Tutu Atwell.  Or the likes of Mike Harley or Marquez Stevenson later on.  Or an all around WR in Jonathan Adams Jr who can really go get it or Antonio Nunn who is a big time sleeper I feel.  Would not mind Elijah Moore or Bateman but both could be late 1st round picks or high 2nd rounders.  

Vikings need speed at the WR spot so hopefully they can get that.  Curious what they think of Alexander Hollins, if they really like him maybe WR would be even less of a need but not sure that is the case.  

Curious if they pick JD Spielman or not, Rick's kid.  Dude transferred to TCU and is doing little to nothing there.  Was a 800+ yard receiver the last three years on Nebraska.  Transferred to TCU because I assume he thought Nebraska would not play and clearly that has not showcased him at all and he has not done well.  Then again Osborn has not been awful and not sure they give up on him already for Spielman.  Lucky for Osborn he has the return job so he could be safe unless they do not like the kid for some reason which I doubt.

7 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Has a GM ever drafted their kid?

I don't think there very often has been a chance...a couple of years ago, the Chiefs did draft the son of the Raiders' GM (at the time) Reggie McKenzie, Khalil.  Khalil is now on the Bengals' practice squad.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

That's a really, really bad take.

And you are really really biased.  Anyone that does not think Oklahoma players walk on water, you call it a "bad take".  

Both are similar in size, similar build, both are very quick and athletic, King is arguably better side to side quickness making defenders miss in the open field and Murray has better straight line speed and acceleration.  No one thought Murray was going to be the #1 pick overall either months before the draft.  Put the kid in the right system and it would be stupid to not believe he could do some things Kyler has done in the league.  Sure he is a poor mans Kyler Murray but they are not that far off or that different from each other in how they play the game.

D'Eriq King in his college career has 6753 yards passing, 66 TDs and 14 INTs and ran for 1825 yards and 30 TDs and caught 60 passes for 505 yards.  And he still has 4 games left including the bowl game if everything goes well with the pandemic.  

Kyler Murray had 5406 passing yards, 50 TDs and 11 INTs and ran for 1478 yards and 13 TDs.  Granted Kyler played less games at QB as a starter than King but King has played will much less offensive talent especially on the offensive line.  And since he has been in a good system with a few offensive weapons in Miami, he looks amazing at times and has had the best season of his career no question despite the horrible protection he gets.

To call them not even similar as players is well not true at all.  I don't think King played baseball, yeah that is true but outside of that they are pretty damn similar.  

PS Spencer Rattler makes Kyler Murray look like an average QB prospect at best.  

This weekend take a minute to watch this new kid at WSU, Jayden de Laura . . . he had a good game last week on the road at Oregon St.  The Ducks roll into Pullman Saturday, so this will be a great test for this guy.  Oregon should dominate the game, but something about WSU's new coaching staff had their defense show up last week.

If the Cougs win, de Laura will become the new Russel Wilson.

2 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

This weekend take a minute to watch this new kid at WSU, Jayden de Laura . . . he had a good game last week on the road at Oregon St.  The Ducks roll into Pullman Saturday, so this will be a great test for this guy.  Oregon should dominate the game, but something about WSU's new coaching staff had their defense show up last week.

If the Cougs win, de Laura will become the new Russel Wilson.

He reminded me so much of Kyler Murray the other night.