2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

On 10/16/2020 at 4:48 AM, persiandud said:

Is there a chance Rondale Moore is available in the 28-32 range? he is my biggest draft crush 

Available? Maybe. Will we draft him? No. We've clearly established a pattern in which we like WR's that are at least 6-3. Sure there are exceptions such as Davante and Shepherd, but both those guys are physical receivers while Moore is only 5' 9" and really isn't that much of a burner down the field. I think he can carve out a nice niche a la Wes Welker/Julian Edelman, but he doesn't fit what we expect out of our receivers. 

21 hours ago, 15412 said:

I think the Packers along with several other teams drafted this year to some degree with an eye to this season either being cancelled or shortened.  All while still staying true to their board of course, 1. but for maybe the first time in a very long time with expectations more aimed at the future.  

2. It is impossible to weigh the need in the coming off season without knowing what we're planning to do with our own FA's.   The Packers have a real clear idea, but even they do not know for sure at this point.  My hope is they are able to re-sign Bak, King, Williams, and Linsley.  Let's say Kirksey and Turner are gone.   Our need at CB would be diminished, losing only Jackson.  In comparison to losing King being my point.  3. I see this teams greatest needs at D-Line and possibly WR, OT, and DB after that.  ILB a need too, but with out young players already on the team and that positions seemingly decreased value in comparison to others we'll find one.  Value is king and sure if another Edge guy or TE is too good to pass at some point we take them, but this as a general guide.   Really a shot in the dark until we know what vets we keep and which ones are let loose.

1. Not sure I can agree with this premise. The only draft that I could think of that would match that premise was the 2015 draft or at least the first half of it. You go back to the Spriggs pick the next year and that was intended to either be insurance for Bulaga or more likely, a future RT given Bakh's status at the time. The same could be said about some of the other picks that looked to be immediate needs, but had reasonable starters in front of them. We all know Gary is supposed to be a project as well.

2. Excellent point and one that should make our conversations here quite interesting moving forward. If anything, it'll make the league quite interesting and much more competitive over the next two years at least. However, we do have obvious areas of need because...

3. No doubt IDL is STILL the biggest area of need, but I think we need to toy with the idea of reviewing our general consensus at ILB. Summers is quietly improving, Krys Barnes has made an almost immediate impact, and Kirksey(when he was healthy) was what we needed. We should be considering developing another guy for the green dot and probably already are in that process, but we need to think about whether or not it's the immediate need we felt it once was; especially if we have to focus on CB again with a higher pick. LIS in a thread the other day: if Martin can be that world beater some here seem to think he is, well then we can focus on CB and IDL - another Safety wouldn't hurt as well. I'm not as worried about WR as some here though I wouldn't mind if we drafted another guy. We just do so much with Lazard and Ervin that I can't help but wonder if we really need to invest a Day 2 pick at the position. Personally, I don't think OT is an issue at the moment either, but in referring back to point one, I think you have to start thinking ahead here. Frankly, we have a revolving door at RT and it's working for the moment....until it doesn't - so suffice it to say we have to prepare for that moment.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 10:45 PM, Rodjahs12 said:

Jaylen Waddle in this offense in Ervin’s role would be niiiiccee.

I haven't seen much of Alabama this year, but is he lining up in the backfield at all? I agree that he'd do well on that pseudo-jet sweep we tend to run.

On 10/16/2020 at 3:48 AM, persiandud said:

Is there a chance Rondale Moore is available in the 28-32 range? he is my biggest draft crush 

Based on talent he shouldn't be available. There's always a chance. Just comes down to needs, the numbers and how many people talk themselves out or talk him down due to his college resume, health, size, etc. 

Seth Williams, Nico Collins, Chris Olave, Terrace Marshall, Rashod Bateman, DeVonta Smith, Ja'Marr Chase and Jaylen Waddle are the other first-round possibilities in play. Another deep year.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 11:47 AM, wgbeethree said:

There's a chance. Teams could have him anywhere from WR2 to WR6ish right now without it being too crazy IMO.

If you love Rondale Moore check out Tutu Atwell from Louisville. Not quite as polished but every bit as shifty and fast.

Dead on with Moore being 2-6.

Dead on about Atwell. Wish he had some more meat on him. 

Current size and estimated speed according to DraftScout:

Moore: 5'9" 180 and 4.30 speed.

Atwell: 5'9" 165 and 4.32 speed.

Edited by CalhounLambeau

• 1 month later...

Who are the best defensive backs who might be available in our range of the first round?

Everybody's talking about cutting Preston Smith loose (which I think we will), but nobody is talking about Adrian Amos saving us 5.5 million next year if we cut him. 

Amos is playing really well right now both watching the games as well as in his PFF score if anybody still cares about that, but he's not a 10 million per year player, and he's set to make 10 million and then 10.6 million over the next two years with a dead cap hit of 5.5 million if we cut him after this season.

Add in Kevin King possibly (likely) leaving in free agency and you're down your starting safety and corner with your backup corner never having shown enough to have faith in him. 

Look at every other position and we're prepared.

QB - We got two.
RB - We drafted Dillon, will re-sign Jones or Williams
WR - Davante, MVS entering his contract year, Lazard... We're still good here.
TE - We would never anyway, but Tonyan is taking off. 
IOL - We would never (and we don't have to)
OT - Possible

IDL - Clark.  Keke has been coming on strong lately.
EDGE - We might lose Preston, but I think this is why we drafted Rashan.  We HEDGED on our EDGE position.  Sign two, expect one to keep up level of play, draft the other's replacement.
ILB - IDK, man.  I think we've finally found some potential in Barnes and Martin. 

That leaves CB and S. 

They're the two positions that would leave us hurting the most if we didn't draft their replacements.  Potentially.

I think if we re-sign King, we cut Amos.  If we don't re-sign King, we keep Amos. 

That leaves one of those two positions as a weakness.  Given Adrian's reliability, I'd prefer to draft our next corner.

Think of how many times a team has two elite level corners.  It always ends well. 

If I had to guess, I would say our first round pick will be:

DB
OT
DL

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Who are the best defensive backs who might be available in our range of the first round?

Everybody's talking about cutting Preston Smith loose (which I think we will), but nobody is talking about Adrian Amos saving us 5.5 million next year if we cut him. 

Amos is playing really well right now both watching the games as well as in his PFF score if anybody still cares about that, but he's not a 10 million per year player, and he's set to make 10 million and then 10.6 million over the next two years with a dead cap hit of 5.5 million if we cut him after this season.

I get your point, but cutting him doesn't "save much. If you cut him, yes you don't have to pay his 10 mil salary, but you also take a 5.5 mil cap hit, but then you need a replacement. Rookie year 1? That's a potentially gaping hole, for really not much savings. Sign a low level FA? Probably eats up most of that 4.5 and is still a down step.

Cutting Preston Smith works because you have Gary behind him, and the savings is significant. Cutting Adrian Amos is very "penny wise, pound foolish", especially if you are possibly losing King as well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Add in Kevin King possibly (likely) leaving in free agency and you're down your starting safety and corner with your backup corner never having shown enough to have faith in him. 

Look at every other position and we're prepared.

QB - We got two.
RB - We drafted Dillon, will re-sign Jones or Williams
WR - Davante, MVS entering his contract year, Lazard... We're still good here.
TE - We would never anyway, but Tonyan is taking off. 
IOL - We would never (and we don't have to)
OT - Possible

IDL - Clark.  Keke has been coming on strong lately.
EDGE - We might lose Preston, but I think this is why we drafted Rashan.  We HEDGED on our EDGE position.  Sign two, expect one to keep up level of play, draft the other's replacement.
ILB - IDK, man.  I think we've finally found some potential in Barnes and Martin. 

That leaves CB and S. 

They're the two positions that would leave us hurting the most if we didn't draft their replacements.  Potentially.

I think if we re-sign King, we cut Amos.  If we don't re-sign King, we keep Amos. 

That leaves one of those two positions as a weakness.  Given Adrian's reliability, I'd prefer to draft our next corner.

Think of how many times a team has two elite level corners.  It always ends well. 

If I had to guess, I would say our first round pick will be:

DB
OT
DL

If you are cutting Preston,  you likely need a 3ed EDGE.  Pressure package still has 3 on the field.  Preston has played a lot of snaps even with the emergence of Gary.

Preston has 600 snaps for  79%

Zadarius has 639 for 84%

Gary has 342 for 45%

Agree that CB/S is a high priority